Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm thinking of purchasing an '07 CRV and I was hoping someone might be able to offer some advice. (Sorry for the long message, I tend to ramble)

A little history. I'm a former '04 Pilot owner, which I loved, but I stupidly traded it in for a '05 Subaru Legacy GT. Long story short, I miss Honda. :)

I'm leaning towards the CRV over another Pilot mainly for fuel consumption and the fact that I don't really need the size of the Pilot.

My questions are: Does the CRV perform adequately on the highway? Passing/cruising, etc. I took it on a test drive but didn't really step on it. I know it won't accelerate like the pilot and certainly not like the Legacy, but will it struggle to keep up with the 80+MPH traffic on the highways out here? (MA) I don't need to drag race, I just want to keep up with traffic. :)

Also, a question on the navigation system. I'm looking at either the EX-L or the EX-L with navi. Is the navigation system worth it? I have one of those portable "stick on the windshield" Garmin navigation systems (C330), and I'm wondering if the stock navi is that much better to justify the added $2k.

Thanks very much to whoever responds.

-Dan

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Welcome! :)

The 07 has plenty of available power for highways, passing, etc. It is a Honda and it loves to rev high.

As to the NAVI option, that's a tough call. Although I usually get the Never-Lost system when I rent from from Hertz (via work in different cities) you hit it right on - is it worth $2000? Sure, it does have some neat features that come with it like the voice commands, but my personal opinion is no. I would just get a Tom-Tom or similar, but again, that's me.

·
Registered
89 Posts
EX-L Should suffice

I agree with 2RedV's comments. I am a new owner of a 07 CRV EX-L. I believe it isn't worth the extra 2K for the navigation unit particularly if you already have a portible navigation unit, which has the advantage of being used in other cars. I am satisfied with the passing power (I take to account that it is a 4 cyl engine powering a roughly 4,500 lb vehicle). The engine is very smooth and I find the CRV to handle easily. If you like the safety of having a backup camera that comes with the navigation, there is an option of having the back-up sensors installed on the EX-L version.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I wonder if most potential Honda owners do not realize what iVTEC is and how it provides that power at higher revs than other vehicles, particularly domestic US ones? There is nothing wrong with running at higher rpm's because the engine was designed to do it. If someone doesn't take the engine over 3-4,000 rpm's on the test drive, they would think it may be low on power.

·
Registered
89 Posts
By seeing some of the criticisms in professional reviews and customer reviews concerning the lack of a V6 engine, it appears people are either not used to the higher revs and equate that with a lack of power. The Amercian Car companies used to have an advantage with torque with the older push rod engines (my previous vehicle before being totaled was a Pontiac Grand Am GT with the pushrod V-6). I liked the grunt of the engine and did mentally equate this with power, although realistically it had 172 horse power with about 200 lbs of torque, which is about mid-range for the size of a sporty looking car, if memory serves me correctly. I dont' think that this perception will last that much longer with the current switch and sales gains that Honda has made along with Toyota. The iVTech engine is fabulous in it's performance. I have my parents old 1990 Honda Accord, only available with a 4 cyl engine, what a huge difference. With the Honda Accord I have to wait for the power while with the iVTech in the CRV, a heavier vehicle, the power is almost instantaneous. I couldn't be happier with the choice to purchase my CRV!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for your input. You've confirmed my thoughts on the navi. It looks good, but I don't think it's worth the 2k.

I plan on making another trip to the dealer on Sat for another look/drive and I'll probably make up my mind then.

On my first drive, i did not take it over 4000RPM, so on the next trip I'll have to work it out a little. :)

Thanks again.

-Dan

Attachments

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
clg said:
Thanks everyone for your input. You've confirmed my thoughts on the navi. It looks good, but I don't think it's worth the 2k.

I plan on making another trip to the dealer on Sat for another look/drive and I'll probably make up my mind then.

On my first drive, i did not take it over 4000RPM, so on the next trip I'll have to work it out a little. :)

Thanks again.

-Dan
Yep, do not worry about harming a Honda iVTEC engine with "high" revs. The breakin procedure is really for the tranny, brakes and suspension parts, not the engine. If anything, you will do the future owner a favor by helping to break it in quickly and properly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have finally joined the ranks as a CR-V owner. The paperwork is signed, and all I have to do is walk down the street after work and pick up our Whistler Silver Metallic LX !! :cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just wanted to let you know that I picked up my Silver '07 EX-L last night. :)

Thanks everyone for your input.

-Dan

·
Registered
46 Posts
07CRVOWNR said:
The iVTech engine is fabulous in it's performance. I have my parents old 1990 Honda Accord, only available with a 4 cyl engine, what a huge difference. With the Honda Accord I have to wait for the power while with the iVTech in the CR-V, a heavier vehicle, the power is almost instantaneous. I couldn't be happier with the choice to purchase my CRV!!!
I have the very same problem with my wife. She complains that her '05 4WD EX CR-V is not powerful enough, and she wants a 6 again. She had been driving our '99 Ody before and the elasticity of the 3.5 VTec is dang near unbeatable... Never mind that she is not winding the CR-V all the way out... I am trying to get her to let the engine rev higher to get better performance, but I am just the dumb husband that knows nothing... PS... I too have a '91 Accord and absolutely LOVE this car. It is still tight, accident free, and creak-less. I roll at 80 mph with about 3/4 inch of throttle, loafing at just under 3K RPM... I hope to drive it for another 10 years...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Backup Sensors

Are backup sensors only possible on the EX-L model? And would the dealer install them on request or would they have to be done by an after-market vendor? I'm not that crazy about leather seats and if the sensors would work on the EX model I would be pleased. Thanks.

I agree with 2RedV's comments. I am a new owner of a 07 CRV EX-L. I believe it isn't worth the extra 2K for the navigation unit particularly if you already have a portible navigation unit, which has the advantage of being used in other cars. I am satisfied with the passing power (I take to account that it is a 4 cyl engine powering a roughly 4,500 lb vehicle). The engine is very smooth and I find the CRV to handle easily. If you like the safety of having a backup camera that comes with the navigation, there is an option of having the back-up sensors installed on the EX-L version.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Back Up Sensors --NOT The Camera

Are backup sensors only possible on the EX-L model? And would the dealer install them on request or would they have to be done by an after-market vendor? I'm not that crazy about leather seats and if the sensors would work on the EX model I would be pleased. Thanks.
I believe the back up sensors are a dealer installed option available on all CR-Vs. You can buy them here and look at the installation instructions:

http://www.handa-accessories.com/crvelect07.html

The camera is only available one the EX-L with NAV.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts