Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a weird problem. Was driving today and the engine malfunction light came on at a stop light.

Then, when I engaged the car, the manual tramsission would "shut off" (like it was in neutral) at 10mph in first great. Then 20mph in 2nd, 35 in 3rd, 45 in 4th. If I went over 60mph in 5th gear, it would disengage as well. I would have to shift out, let the speed get back under 60, then engage into 5th gear again. But if I went over 60, it would disengage again. The car runs okay except it will disengage at these exact speeds in these gears. I'm not even close to red-lining the engine, but maybe the speed limiter is kicking in for some reason?

Any advice would be helpful.

This is 2003 CRV EX AWD 5 speed manual transmission. 121k miles.

·
Registered
680 Posts
That sounds like a transmission synchronizer that's
worn out. At 100,000 kms. that needs to be changed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I bought my CRV used last month, and had just filled it up for the first time (for me) when this happened. After reading this forum, I thought maybe it might be a fuel cap issue. So, I opened the fuel cap, and put it back on, making sure it clicked 3 times.

Then, when I drove the car, the engine problems stopped. After the 2nd or 3rd time driving, the check engine light also went off.

Should I assume problem solved, or just a temporary adjustment caused by something else? I cant believe the fuel cap not being tight would trigger an engine sensor that would disengage the transmission at 60 mph. Right?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I bought my CRV used last month, and had just filled it up for the first time (for me) when this happened. After reading this forum, I thought maybe it might be a fuel cap issue. So, I opened the fuel cap, and put it back on, making sure it clicked 3 times.

Then, when I drove the car, the engine problems stopped. After the 2nd or 3rd time driving, the check engine light also went off.

Should I assume problem solved, or just a temporary adjustment caused by something else? I cant believe the fuel cap not being tight would trigger an engine sensor that would disengage the transmission at 60 mph. Right?
One problem solved, one problem to go. Both unrelated. Take it into Honda and let them test drive it. Any tech can tell you whether it is functioning correctly or not, but the transmission will have to come apart to determine what needs replacing. A transmission should never disengage when working correctly, and nothing has ever been designed to disengage it since the discovery of the clutch.;)

·
Registered
841 Posts
This is a weird problem. Was driving today and the engine malfunction light came on at a stop light.
Then, when I engaged the car, the manual tramsission would "shut off" (like it was in neutral) at 10mph in first great. Then 20mph in 2nd, 35 in 3rd, 45 in 4th. If I went over 60mph in 5th gear, it would disengage as well. I would have to shift out, let the speed get back under 60, then engage into 5th gear again. But if I went over 60, it would disengage again. The car runs okay except it will disengage at these exact speeds in these gears. I'm not even close to red-lining the engine, but maybe the speed limiter is kicking in for some reason?
Any advice would be helpful.
This is 2003 CRV EX AWD 5 speed manual transmission. 121k miles.
Since the transmission seems to be disengaging from ALL five forward gears, this means that all three shift forks/shafts are doing the same thing. This would seem to indicate a problem common to all three fork assemblies. It could be as simple as weak/broken ball detent springs or a simple linkage adjustment issue.

These sorts of problems (and worn shift forks too) are not uncommon when drivers like to drive manual transmissions with there hand resting on the shift lever all the time. There are other causes as well but I believe "Riding the stick" to be the most common.

Don't be discouraged just yet.;) Many times these types of problems are solvable without ever getting into the transmission itself.

Good luck with the fix, whatever it turns out to be, and let us know how it goes.:)

Reference:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=CR-V&catcgry2=2003&catcgry3=5DR+EX+(4WD)&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=MT+SHIFT+FORK+-+SHIFT+HOLDER

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=CR-V&catcgry2=2003&catcgry3=5DR+EX+(4WD)&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=MT+SHIFT+ARM+-+SHIFT+LEVER

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=CR-V&catcgry2=2003&catcgry3=5DR+EX+(4WD)&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=SHIFT+LEVER

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Hi again Trout1; To be absolutely clear, are you saying that the transmission shifter is still in the lets say 3rd gear position but the transmission has gone into neutral (the engine would rev way up when it was suddenly not under load)? Or are you saying the engine is just suddenly idling down or not responding to throttle as it would with rev limiter's? Or is the shifter popping out of 3rd position to neutral position. One more thing. Have you watched the tachometer to see where this disengaging happens? I'm thinking it is happening at the same RPM each time. Can you also give us an idea of when you are shifting up and down in RPM's, from your description it "shuts off" at 10 in 1st, 20 in 2nd, 35 in 3rd, either you are shifting up too soon or it shuts off almost as soon as you shift.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts