Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am interested in buying the 2016 CR-V. I have a few questions which hopefully you can help me with
1. Is it worth upgrading from EX to Touring purely for the extra safety features? The other extra features are not that important to me
2. Has anyone here, looked or test driven a comparable Kia (sportage) or Hyundai (Tuscon or Santa Fe sport) prior to buying the CR-V and what is your opinion about those 2 makes.
Thanks a lot!

·
Super Moderator
3,192 Posts
1: I went Touring simply to ensure no buyers remorse and having experienced all the sensing features, wanted them.
2: yes I drove all. There is something flimsy about Hyundai and Kia. Appearance matters more to them than substance. They are corporate siblings sharing key components

·
Registered
776 Posts
The only thing that really matters is your own personal opinion. Drive them all as much as you can, use the search function here and rely on your best judgment. None of us know you or your situation so it's impossible to give sound advice IMO. My EX serves my needs just fine, but probably lacks all the bells and whistles that seem to captivate lots of folks on this Forum. Craig

·
Registered
453 Posts
When I bought my CRV - the Touring models were extremely restrained (take 3 months to order).

I ended up with an EX-L. Today, I don't regret not getting the Touring as I ended up not thrilled with the CRV and I see several items down the pipeline that I want. I will not keep my CRV for 10 plus years like I have done with others and will trade it in when the new features come out.

For example - Nissan and Toyota has Bird's Eye camera view. Have you looked at this? As opposed to just backup camera and right camera, they have 4, stitch them together and you get an arial view. It is amazing! I also want CarPlay.

So I will trade my CRV in for "better features" then Touring in a few years (and will leave Honda). A friend recently drove the Nissan Murano (I know a higher model) and Subaru Outback with Eyesight. He preferred the implementation of the Safety features much better then how Honda implemented them. I did not drive the 2 models you drove but right now, the RAV4 is doing better then CRV in sales after decades. Have you considered looking at that model? Also look at Subaru - those vehicles are ranking very high on Consumer Reports.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I looked at the RAV 4, the RAV 4 hybrid, the Mazda 5 and the CRV. Each has pluses and minuses. I went with the CRV touring and don't regret it. There is always something newer and cooler just around the corner with respect to tech. If you fall into that trap, you will never be satisfied or will always be waiting.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
256 Posts
The Kia isn't anything special until you get into the higher trims and then the cost skyrockets and the fuel economy plunges.

The Hyundai has a dry dual clutch transmission. I just sold a '13 with a dry dual clutch. NEVER AGAIN.

·
Registered
633 Posts
All vehicles now a days seem to have some sort of issue. You should be aware that their were some serious Vibration issues with the 2015 CRVS and some 2016 owners state they have it as well (search here on this forum) You really just need to get out there and test drive vehicles and go with what you are comfortable with. We love our 2016 Subaru Outback and Forester, but they too come with issues (which we have not had) Many on the Tucson forum love their 2016 Tucsons, but some have had issues with the DCT, and the storage is not that great on the Tucson. We enjoyed the mazda 5, drove nice, but didnt like the interior. RAV 4 was nice, but didnt like how it handled, too firm of a ride.....You just need to get out there and test drive vehicles....

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Having a 2013 EX since new I can say we absolutely love this vehicle and plan to get at least 200K miles out of her. That being said test drive several different vehicles and choose the one that suits you best. Just remember some brands have a better track record than others when it comes to long term reliability. This is why we chose Honda and so far we have had no issues with them, unlike the VW's we used to own.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I've had Honda's since the mid eighties. On my third CRV right now. Always happy. But, I would not buy a 2015 and 2016. Far too many owner's complaints for my liking.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I bought my CRV - the Touring models were extremely restrained (take 3 months to order).

I ended up with an EX-L. Today, I don't regret not getting the Touring as I ended up not thrilled with the CRV and I see several items down the pipeline that I want. I will not keep my CRV for 10 plus years like I have done with others and will trade it in when the new features come out.

For example - Nissan and Toyota has Bird's Eye camera view. Have you looked at this? As opposed to just backup camera and right camera, they have 4, stitch them together and you get an arial view. It is amazing! I also want CarPlay.

So I will trade my CRV in for "better features" then Touring in a few years (and will leave Honda). A friend recently drove the Nissan Murano (I know a higher model) and Subaru Outback with Eyesight. He preferred the implementation of the Safety features much better then how Honda implemented them. I did not drive the 2 models you drove but right now, the RAV4 is doing better then CRV in sales after decades. Have you considered looking at that model? Also look at Subaru - those vehicles are ranking very high on Consumer Reports.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will check out Subaru as well. As you said, it appears the RAV4 is better than its prior years so will also consider checking it out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Kia isn't anything special until you get into the higher trims and then the cost skyrockets and the fuel economy plunges.

The Hyundai has a dry dual clutch transmission. I just sold a '13 with a dry dual clutch. NEVER AGAIN.

What is the issue with that transmission that you experienced? CR-V seems to be having its own issues with the vibration as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ugg - it appears the Bird's Eye view is only available on the Limited Hybrid (high model).

Too bad as it looks really great.
It is also available on the the SE trim as part of a package. The total comes to MSRP 32,300 which is comparable to the the Touring on CR-V

·
Registered
256 Posts
What is the issue with that transmission that you experienced? CR-V seems to be having its own issues with the vibration as well.
The dry dual clutch is very unsmooth and unpredictable. It has problems handling heat and the Ford variation had issues with the seals leaking fluid all over the clutches causing all kinds of problems. Read reviews of the Hyundai and you will see similarly complaints of the slow speed hurky jerkiness.

The CVT in my '16 CRV is (so far at least) far more pleasant and predictable to drive.

Sent from my note 4 using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The dry dual clutch is very unsmooth and unpredictable. It has problems handling heat and the Ford variation had issues with the seals leaking fluid all over the clutches causing all kinds of problems. Read reviews of the Hyundai and you will see similarly complaints of the slow speed hurky jerkiness.

The CVT in my '16 CRV is (so far at least) far more pleasant and predictable to drive.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Any opinions on the Mazda CX-5 Grand touring? How is Mazda usually in terms of reliability and other aspects compared to Honda? Seems to be less costly than CRV.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Any opinions on the Mazda CX-5 Grand touring? How is Mazda usually in terms of reliability and other aspects compared to Honda? Seems to be less costly than CRV.
Mazda gets great reviews and had a good reputation for reliability. Until this year the cx5s were still built in Japan I believe, but now they switched to Mexico. Not sure what effect that will have on quality.

Personally i found the seats in the CX5 to be too hard and the overall experience to be a bit less refined. I also didn't care for the fact there was no power lift gate or even remote hatch release available.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts