Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Honda CRV 2019 2.4L CVT Touring
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,

I require some advice from you'll with regard to the best option to park my car which is currently my concern.
In order to protect my car, I have installed transparent plastic covers for all the leather seats, tinted all side and rear windows plus always keep a sunshade in the windshield from Day 1.
During the day - April to May the temperature is around 32-36 degrees Celcius. From June to September the temperature is around 36-47 degrees Celcius. From November to December the temperature is relatively cooler between 16-24 degrees Celcius.
Actually I work during the day from (7:30 AM until 5 PM) with a one-hour lunch break (Saturday to Wednesday) and (7:30 AM until 1 PM) on Thursday. Friday is my off day.

My first option is to drive for around 15 minutes from home to reach my office area parking. Actually the area near my office doesn't have any shaded parking and my colleagues all park their cars in direct sunlight. There are plenty of options to park on a paved (asphalt) surface which is the only good factor but under direct sunlight. I feel terrible when I park my car under direct sunlight UV rays as it feels really burning hot and humid both inside and outside once I return to take my car home during the lunch break at 1 PM and even at 5 PM to return home.
My second option is to drive to a location away from my office however the only minor constraint is to cross the not so busy highway. It usually takes around 10 minutes to travel by car and then 8 minutes of walking to reach my office & I have no issues with walking to and fro four times per day. Over here I park under a busy highway which has superb shaded parking underneath, however, the only issue here is that I need to drive off-road and park on a gravel surface which has many small stones. I need to just drive for 30 meters approx which is approx. 30 seconds off-road to reach this gravel zone.

Which option is the best option to park for long term- under the highway on a gravel surface with no sunlight or on a paved surface with direct sunlight?
Please share your comments and advice on the same topic.

I'm afraid that parking under direct sunlight would damage my car exterior paint, engine parts and deteriorate my car quicker while parking on an off-road gravel surface might spoil my undercarriage and deteriorate my tire threads which are exposed to the stones flying underneath. I have attached photos of the gravel zone for you'll to judge and advise upon.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,202 Posts
Here in the Arizona desert, we park in the sun all day long, where 110 F (about 43 C,) is not uncommon June -September. I would be more concerned about security versus the sun. Parking with other cars around wold seem safer than parking under an underpass, which is hidden from view.

Reactions: strimby

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here in the Arizona desert, we park in the sun all day long, where 110 F (about 43 C,) is not uncommon June -September. I would be more concerned about security versus the sun. Parking with other cars around wold seem safer than parking under an underpass, which is hidden from view.
Even the office parking is hidden from view cause its approx a 1-2 minute walk away and my car isn't directly visible from my office window. Car thefts are mainly uncommon in my country though.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Have you considered riding a bike? You are only 15 min by car you said.
Yes but bike robberies are common here at night since I need to park it outside my residential building (I live in a flat). Bike riders are fairly uncommon here especially due to the extreme summer season. Hence, bike won't be a good idea in my country & situation. Firstly I don't know to ride a bike :( & second during the summer time period usually around 4 months it becomes unbearable so bike wouldn't be a good option. Thirdly, there is a highway on my route even though if I plan on taking the second alternative its the same that becomes a nuisance to ride. Parking the bike in my office is safe as there is 24x7 CCTV but due to those three points I pointed out it's not feasible.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,202 Posts
I dunno, with the barbered wire and all that graffiti,..I would think it would be safer to park where others are parking.
Maybe it's just my rural/suburban upbringing?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi Guys,

I require some advice from you'll with regard to the best option to park my car which is currently my concern.
In order to protect my car, I have installed transparent plastic covers for all the leather seats, tinted all side and rear windows plus always keep a sunshade in the windshield from Day 1.
During the day - April to May the temperature is around 32-36 degrees Celcius. From June to September the temperature is around 36-47 degrees Celcius. From November to December the temperature is relatively cooler between 16-24 degrees Celcius.
Actually I work during the day from (7:30 AM until 5 PM) with a one-hour lunch break (Saturday to Wednesday) and (7:30 AM until 1 PM) on Thursday. Friday is my off day.

My first option is to drive for around 15 minutes from home to reach my office area parking. Actually the area near my office doesn't have any shaded parking and my colleagues all park their cars in direct sunlight. There are plenty of options to park on a paved (asphalt) surface which is the only good factor but under direct sunlight. I feel terrible when I park my car under direct sunlight UV rays as it feels really burning hot and humid both inside and outside once I return to take my car home during the lunch break at 1 PM and even at 5 PM to return home.
My second option is to drive to a location away from my office however the only minor constraint is to cross the not so busy highway. It usually takes around 10 minutes to travel by car and then 8 minutes of walking to reach my office & I have no issues with walking to and fro four times per day. Over here I park under a busy highway which has superb shaded parking underneath, however, the only issue here is that I need to drive off-road and park on a gravel surface which has many small stones. I need to just drive for 30 meters approx which is approx. 30 seconds off-road to reach this gravel zone.

Which option is the best option to park for long term- under the highway on a gravel surface with no sunlight or on a paved surface with direct sunlight?

I'm afraid that parking under direct sunlight would damage my car exterior paint, engine parts and deteriorate my car quicker while parking on an off-road gravel surface might spoil my undercarriage and deteriorate my tire threads which are exposed to the stones flying underneath. I have attached photos of the gravel zone for you'll to judge and advise upon.
I'm not sure I understand the problem with gravel? I drive 20 miles A-day on gravel 6 days a week and I don't believe I've run into any difficulties related to the surface?

·
Registered
7 Posts
This might be taken as a little insulting. It is meant as a kind of life lesson.

Remember: You own the car and the car does not own you. It is really nice to have new car and keep it in good condition. However, you appear to be so worried about the card you cannot enjoy it. Plastic covers over the leather seats will make you sweaty and maybe even smell bad. Please enjoy the car.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,070 Posts
How do your co workers feel about the parking scenario? It's not like the sun is going away any time soon. enjoy the car, crack that Air cond to the max and drive.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How do your co workers feel about the parking scenario? It's not like the sun is going away any time soon. enjoy the car, crack that Air cond to the max and drive.
My co workers park their vehicles beside my office itself which has direct sunlight hence no protection from UV rays. They don't bother walking or are just lazy to do so. I like to keep my car in good condition and cool as much as possible. I tried parking it once in direct sunlight which is really awful as the heat gets extreme inside the cabin and makes me sweat immediately even with the air conditioner turned on mainly because I drive usually for a short distance of 3 kilometers each run so no time for the AC to cool up.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This might be taken as a little insulting. It is meant as a kind of life lesson.

Remember: You own the car and the car does not own you. It is really nice to have new car and keep it in good condition. However, you appear to be so worried about the card you cannot enjoy it. Plastic covers over the leather seats will make you sweaty and maybe even smell bad. Please enjoy the car.
Hi, The only two main reasons that I had installed the plastic covers is because my car has a beige leather interior and I know this color by default is vunerable to get dirty pretty soon so there is no choice for users having this interior color.
Secondly, if the seats remain new in the longer run the resale value would be higher than if they weren't maintained well.
Actually all dealerships in the Middle East don't order the Touring trim with other color interiors only beige so owners/buyers have no choice.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,176 Posts
I suggest you leave your car at home and get a cab to work. That way it will stay pristine, doesnt get mileage added to it and the sun cant affect it. Nor the gravel etc.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I suggest you leave your car at home and get a cab to work. That way it will stay pristine, doesnt get mileage added to it and the sun cant affect it. Nor the gravel etc.
I need to use it so will need to drive it and cab is an expensive option here and is not economical for daily use. The other users have recommended me that gravel works fine so I think thats fine in comparison to the sunlight.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi Guys,

Hi I can see that you are very concerned about the damage to you vehicle.30 meters of gravel will definitely not do any damage to the undercarriage even if it is mud you can wash it off !
The 10 minutes you talk about, is it freeway driving or on B roads.
Why don't you ride a bicycle or purchase a cheaper Junker and park it in the sun with the basic necessities' to protect it from any further damage it may have
These are just my thoughts not to dishearten you in any way but I would not be concerned about the 30 or so meters of gravel and id park it under shade.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi I can see that you are very concerned about the damage to you vehicle.30 meters of gravel will definitely not do any damage to the undercarriage even if it is mud you can wash it off !
The 10 minutes you talk about, is it freeway driving or on B roads.
Why don't you ride a bicycle or purchase a cheaper Junker and park it in the sun with the basic necessities' to protect it from any further damage it may have
These are just my thoughts not to dishearten you in any way but I would not be concerned about the 30 or so meters of gravel and id park it under shade.
Hi Alfoc, Many thanks for your comments. Appreciated. Actually regarding the bike ride, firstly I don't know to ride a bike :( & second during the summer time period usually around 4 months it becomes unbearable so bike wouldn't be a good option. Thirdly, there is a highway on my route even though if I plan on taking the second alternative its the same that becomes a nuisance to ride. Parking the bike in my office is safe as there is 24x7 CCTV but due to those three points I pointed out it's not feasible. Regarding the junker it makes no sense to purchase another vehicle, then my CRV would remain at home all day and having a second vehicle even though a junker I would need to spend again on maintainance even though minimal would add on to my expenses unnecessirily.
I think ultimately parking my CRV under the shade in the gravel zone would be the best idea to go for.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts