Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both my 60 lb dog and I are getting a little older. Picking him up and putting him in the backseat is getting difficult for me. I prefer to keep him in the backseat and not the cargo hold when traveling in my 2011 CRV.

Can anyone recommend a ramp or steps that lead to the back seat/back passenger door? It seems like most dog ramps are designed to lead to the cargo hold rather than the much more narrow space of the back passenger door.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
876 Posts
Both my 60 lb dog and I are getting a little older. Picking him up and putting him in the backseat is getting difficult for me. I prefer to keep him in the backseat and not the cargo hold when traveling in my 2011 CRV.

Can anyone recommend a ramp or steps that lead to the back seat/back passenger door? It seems like most dog ramps are designed to lead to the cargo hold rather than the much more narrow space of the back passenger door.

Thanks!
I’ve got a very heavy duty and sturdy ramp from PetStep, but I just tried it and it is probably 2 inches too wide to work for the back seat. As you said, I use the back cargo area for my 75 lb older German Shepherd. Sorry I can’t help.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
We had a narrow one my wife bought off of Amazon for our 35 lb Mini Golden Doodle. It easily fit the door opening on our CX-5, which is probably narrower than our 2010 CR-V was. Our dog wanted nothing to do with it and quickly learned how to jump into the backseat by herself. Are you looking for a ramp that goes all the way to the seats, or just the sill? I believe the ramp was intended to just hit the sill, not the seat. It would need to be extra long to make that kind of incline without being almost 60 degrees.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,121 Posts
Your dog is OK with stairs, yes? The reason I ask is because I think for the back seat, a ramp can be problematic due to wobbling and flexing.

If so, I would suggest you focus on one of the small folding staircases made precisely for what you need. There are a bunch of them to choose from on Amazon. I have no personal experience with them, so cannot specifically recommend an Amazon listing. But.. an example of what I mean can be found here at this link.. and Amazon will then list other options similar in design and function for you once you hit the link. A few buyers reported wobbling of the stair cases too if they rest on a softer seat... so I would suggest always be there when your dog uses it and put your foot down on the bottom stair cross support to help stablize it for your dog.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ve got a very heavy duty and sturdy ramp from PetStep, but I just tried it and it is probably 2 inches too wide to work for the back seat. As you said, I use the back cargo area for my 75 lb older German Shepherd. Sorry I can’t help.
Thanks for checking.

We had a narrow one my wife bought off of Amazon for our 35 lb Mini Golden Doodle. It easily fit the door opening on our CX-5, which is probably narrower than our 2010 CR-V was. Our dog wanted nothing to do with it and quickly learned how to jump into the backseat by herself. Are you looking for a ramp that goes all the way to the seats, or just the sill? I believe the ramp was intended to just hit the sill, not the seat. It would need to be extra long to make that kind of incline without being almost 60 degrees.
Thanks for the info. Ideally, I did want one to reach the seat because it's still a good jump from the floorboard to the seat. I am realizing now that the best option for me is to find a long ramp leading the cargo hold.

Your dog is OK with stairs, yes? The reason I ask is because I think for the back seat, a ramp can be problematic due to wobbling and flexing.

If so, I would suggest you focus on one of the small folding staircases made precisely for what you need. There are a bunch of them to choose from on Amazon. I have no personal experience with them, so cannot specifically recommend an Amazon listing. But.. an example of what I mean can be found here at this link.. and Amazon will then list other options similar in design and function for you once you hit the link. A few buyers reported wobbling of the stair cases too if they rest on a softer seat... so I would suggest always be there when your dog uses it and put your foot down on the bottom stair cross support to help stablize it for your dog.
Thanks so much. This is a great idea. I fear that as my dog continues to age, the stairs may be too difficult. I'm going to give up on trying to get him into the back seat and look for a long ramp leading to the cargo hold.

·
Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
876 Posts
Thanks for checking.

Thanks for the info. Ideally, I did want one to reach the seat because it's still a good jump from the floorboard to the seat. I am realizing now that the best option for me is to find a long ramp leading the cargo hold.

Thanks so much. This is a great idea. I fear that as my dog continues to age, the stairs may be too difficult. I'm going to give up on trying to get him into the back seat and look for a long ramp leading to the cargo hold.
This is the one we have for the cargo area. Very sturdy, holds the dogs weight with no shaking which gives her confidence. Provides good grip as well.

PetSTEP Original Folding Pet Ramp
by MOTOO-BEST
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AR7YII/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_EV3S3A0B713HG5M8WR05?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

1 - 6 of 6 Posts