Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Honda CRV 2019 2.4L CVT Touring
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I would appreciate your advice and suggestions on the below.
I'm actually thinking of installing the illumination package or illuminated door sill trims into my CRV 2019 Touring with my local Honda dealership. I usually park my vehicle at a dark place near my home at night so I feel that the illumination package would be a nice accessory to suit my purpose.

The Honda genuine website says that these are a combination of lights that gives an ambient atmosphere to the inside of your car.
The illumination package includes front ambient footlights and illuminated doorstep garnishes (Illuminated Door Sill Trims). There is also the interior panel trim with illumination available and will actually replace the wooden trim already there. Total cost (Part cost with labor) - 318.00 US $.
The illuminated doorstep garnishes (illuminated Door Sill Trims) are also sold separately. Total cost (Part cost with labor) - 212.00 US $.
All jobs performed in the dealership comes with a standard one year warranty.

I have a few questions about the purchase & installation:-
1) What are the real-life purpose & benefits of having the illuminated doorstep garnishes (Illuminated Door Sill Trims)? Is it worth it?
2) What are the real-life purpose & benefits of having the illumination package? Is it worth it?
3) I'm confused about whether I should just go for the illuminated doorstep garnishes (Illuminated Door Sill Trims) or whether for the full illumination package by paying the 106 USD.
4) Since I generally reside in a hot region (Middle East) especially during the summer months - May until September the temperature gets to around 40-50 degrees during the mornings and afternoons. I do park my car under a shaded zone but in spite of this is there a chance that 3M glue at the back of the illuminated doorstep garnishes (illuminated Door Sill Trims) could come off after say one or 2 years period.
5) How does the ambient footlights function because I have read somewhere on this forum that it always remains on even when driving at night but in dim mode.

Attachments

·
The. Mod. Erator.
7,496 Posts
1) Only you can know whether its worth it. Everyone will have their own perspective.
2) See answer to first question.
3) Again, the choice is ultimately yours as its your car.
4) Given the doors will be closed, there wont be direct sunlight affecting the illuminated doorstep trim.
5) Yes, I have this on mine. The LED lights are on in the front footwell when the headlights are activated.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1) Only you can know whether its worth it. Everyone will have their own perspective.
2) See answer to first question.
3) Again, the choice is ultimately yours as its your car.
4) Given the doors will be closed, there wont be direct sunlight affecting the illuminated doorstep trim.
5) Yes, I have this on mine. The LED lights are on in the front footwell when the headlights are activated.
Hi Dark Knight. I would like to know yourperspective on my questions 1 & 2.
5) Aren't the LED foot lights you have on the front footwell for both passenger and driver disturbing for you especially when driving ? Whats your idea on this ?

·
The. Mod. Erator.
7,496 Posts
Hi Dark Knight. I would like to know yourperspective on my questions 1 & 2.
5) Aren't the LED foot lights you have on the front footwell for both passenger and driver disturbing for you especially when driving ? Whats your idea on this ?
Your first two questions are broadly the same. Its a cosmetic enhancement. Only you can decide whether its a feature worth having.

As for the footwell lights, no they dont interfere with driving as I am looking at the road, not the footwell lights :)

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Living as I do in a similar hot environment, I'll say that yes, there is always the possibility that the adhesive will come loose in the heat. You could always modify the install a bit by carefully locating and drilling holes to use screws for attaching the plates permanently. I'd use the tape and see if it holds up, and only revert to the emergency plan if needed. Just remember there's a right way and a wrong way to execute the drilling of holes and screwing things down if you want a net finished job. I have a shop full of all the right tools and equipment for this kind of stuff and the experience to do it right. If you are not confident about it and end up needing to do it, I'd just find someone who is and pay them to do it right. It's not hugely complicated but does need some aptitude to do it neatly.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Living as I do in a similar hot environment, I'll say that yes, there is always the possibility that the adhesive will come loose in the heat. You could always modify the install a bit by carefully locating and drilling holes to use screws for attaching the plates permanently. I'd use the tape and see if it holds up, and only revert to the emergency plan if needed. Just remember there's a right way and a wrong way to execute the drilling of holes and screwing things down if you want a net finished job. I have a shop full of all the right tools and equipment for this kind of stuff and the experience to do it right. If you are not confident about it and end up needing to do it, I'd just find someone who is and pay them to do it right. It's not hugely complicated but does need some aptitude to do it neatly.
Thanks for the reply. I observed that there is no way that there is an option to drill the plate because there are no pre-installed holes on these plates plus no screws provided in the package. I feel that if the plates are screwed it would not only spoil the appearance of the plates (as they would surely br noticeable) but might even cause rust (due to climate or other external factors - rainy, moisture and so on) underneath the chassis as you mentioned holes might be needed to be drilled there.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
There are easy ways to solve each of those issues. Use the right screws. repaint the metal after drilling, top and bottom. It can easily be done right. But, yes, I'd try the adhesive method first. If that fails, you might try 3M weatherstrip adhesive. If it all fails, then drill.

·
Premium Member
6,170 Posts
What I did and can do then pay that Big Bill to who?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts