Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning!

I just bought 1999 EX with 137,000 miles on it to take my kids to soccer and hopefully some daily driving (I have a Scion FR-S that just isn’t up for hauling a bunch of kids to and from the muddy field). What are your top tips to keep everything in good running condition moving forward? It looks to have been maintained fairly well. Thanks!!

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
1,459 Posts
You can see if there are any records at honda on it.
but usually if u plan on keeping it. I’d do all the lubricating of hinges/bushings, oil, filters, check brakes, valve adjustment

luckily there are junkyards filled with them for spare parts

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,712 Posts
Go to the Honda Ownerlink, download an owners manual and maintenance schedule.

Do ANYTHING you do not have a record of, as being performed. On Generation1 CR-Vs, it is IMPORTANT to adjust valve lash every 30K miles, so I'd start with that.

Note that many items have recommended intervals of YEARS as well as MILES.

WELCOME and enjoy your V. Post up some pictures, too.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
The headlights look a little hazed.
I cleaned mine with some Meguiar's PlastX plastic polish and Mother's Polishing Ball on an electric drill.

And definitely have the engine valves adjusted!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I can’t find any history of timing belt being changed or valves being adjusted so I will ask about those the first chance I get. Thanks!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also can’t find record of checking rear differential so I will add that to the list as well. Everything else seems fairly up to date as far as I can tell

·
Registered
84 Posts
Where do you live and where did the car come from?

The valves need to be checked (why Honda would make a car this sensitive to something like this is beyond me).

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
The valves need to be checked (why Honda would make a car this sensitive to something like this is beyond me).
In the US the 2001 CR-V was the last to use the B20 engine (B series 2.0L) that needs annual valve adjustments. It is an odd quirk of the engine design, but is something that needs to be done. The B series was first introduced in 1989 as the B16A 1.6L engine, so it's been around a long time.

Since the 2002 CR-V engine is a completely different design known as the K24 (K series 2.4L). It needs the valves adjusted every 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Having valves adjusted tomorrow... also the water pump was replaced in 2018 but no mention of timing belt (which seems very odd if they didn’t do them both) so he’s gonna peak at the belt while doing the valves and see if it’s stock or OEM. Also having him do a visual inspection - any other simple checks I should have done that could stick out? Rubber parts or other common failings that can be spotted easily? Thanks!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Where do you live and where did the car come from?

The car was sold in Florida but driven mostly in Tennessee where I live

·
Registered
71 Posts
well, as a few have mentioned the obvious, I can say it sounds, and looks like you’ve made a great purchase. I hope you are happy with the cost of your investment so far. I bought my 1999 V just over 9 years ago with 160000 on it. I have systematically gone through all major systems to start with a clean slate, but I had little to no records from previous owners. I would recommend that anything rubber and can’t be dated get replaced so they won’t strand you along the road. I did have my transmission let go about 5 years ago, but I paid for the rebuild and it is still running, so I feel I got some of my money’s worth on that job. I haven’t been as regular on the valve clearances, but I suppose I’ve been lucky as it seems to be doing well. Spent most of a weekend doing the timing belt last spring and whenever I see one hit the junkyard, I go see if I can use anything or replace anything overly worn on mine. Weirdly enough, the rear hatch glass nuts that hold the shock absorbers are warped a lot and if they go out, well, you won’t get in the rear door easily. Seems drivers seat and sometimes seatbelt wears on with years and mileage, rear trailing arm bushings and a pesky upper a arms on the front have been some of the only major work I found to do, replaced all four struts at the same time so I would be on a clean slate. HONDA FLUIDS, a must, right now I’m working on my power steering system, leaky hose(rubber!!!) seems to be the culprit, but torn boots can allow dirt in, so once again, RUBBER parts need checking out before they let go. I prefer the Honda oil filter, have used purolater fuel filters as well as cabin air filters, once you find the correct fitting cabin air filter, stick with it. Rockauto sells all this replaceable stuff at good prices as long as you can get it sent from a single shipping warehouse. I change my cabin air filter twice a year since I live in Houston and I’m a glutton for punishment(pita job). I’ve been less diligent on the transmission fluid, but I parked the V for 18 months, so it’s going through these things I still need to do. Honda service manual is a very smart investment, will walk you through all repairs if you choose to take them on as well as testing directions along with the maintenance schedule. I have recently replaced my electronic fuel pump and the weirdest thing, it didn’t fully go out, but hiccuped more than once so I changed it and I’m getting slightly better gas mileage from it?!?! That’s all from me, good luck with your V and remember, the age of the vehicle would mean most times anything dents or damages it will total the V in the eyes of the insurance company, but if it is merely cosmetic and doesn’t bother you and can be repaired, it would mean no car payment if you simply repaired what happened if the bad things happen over there to you.

Good morning!

I just bought 1999 EX with 137,000 miles on it to take my kids to soccer and hopefully some daily driving (I have a Scion FR-S that just isn’t up for hauling a bunch of kids to and from the muddy field). What are your top tips to keep everything in good running condition moving forward? It looks to have been maintained fairly well. Thanks!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got the valves adjusted and several seals, gaskets, grommets replaced that were worn or leaky. Also had timing belt inspected and it’s been replaced recently. Spark plugs are middle aged but NGK platinum. Overall visual inspection revealed that I need new front upper ball joint boots and tie rod end boots ASAP and new lower front ball joints in the next 4-6 months or so. He said to monitor all the sway bar links because the boots are worn but not loose and the tires have about 30% life left but the original spare is useless at this point so I’ll have to replace. All in all not a bad diagnosis for a 20-year old vehicle with spotty service records imo. Thoughts?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts