Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

Advice on maintenance

1320 Views 17 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  racoon
Good morning!

I just bought 1999 EX with 137,000 miles on it to take my kids to soccer and hopefully some daily driving (I have a Scion FR-S that just isn’t up for hauling a bunch of kids to and from the muddy field). What are your top tips to keep everything in good running condition moving forward? It looks to have been maintained fairly well. Thanks!!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2,907 Posts
The headlights look a little hazed.
I cleaned mine with some Meguiar's PlastX plastic polish and Mother's Polishing Ball on an electric drill.

And definitely have the engine valves adjusted!

· Registered
2,907 Posts
The valves need to be checked (why Honda would make a car this sensitive to something like this is beyond me).
In the US the 2001 CR-V was the last to use the B20 engine (B series 2.0L) that needs annual valve adjustments. It is an odd quirk of the engine design, but is something that needs to be done. The B series was first introduced in 1989 as the B16A 1.6L engine, so it's been around a long time.

Since the 2002 CR-V engine is a completely different design known as the K24 (K series 2.4L). It needs the valves adjusted every 100,000 miles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.