Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

Advice on maintenance

1318 Views 17 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  racoon
Good morning!

I just bought 1999 EX with 137,000 miles on it to take my kids to soccer and hopefully some daily driving (I have a Scion FR-S that just isn’t up for hauling a bunch of kids to and from the muddy field). What are your top tips to keep everything in good running condition moving forward? It looks to have been maintained fairly well. Thanks!!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Having valves adjusted tomorrow... also the water pump was replaced in 2018 but no mention of timing belt (which seems very odd if they didn’t do them both) so he’s gonna peak at the belt while doing the valves and see if it’s stock or OEM. Also having him do a visual inspection - any other simple checks I should have done that could stick out? Rubber parts or other common failings that can be spotted easily? Thanks!!

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got the valves adjusted and several seals, gaskets, grommets replaced that were worn or leaky. Also had timing belt inspected and it’s been replaced recently. Spark plugs are middle aged but NGK platinum. Overall visual inspection revealed that I need new front upper ball joint boots and tie rod end boots ASAP and new lower front ball joints in the next 4-6 months or so. He said to monitor all the sway bar links because the boots are worn but not loose and the tires have about 30% life left but the original spare is useless at this point so I’ll have to replace. All in all not a bad diagnosis for a 20-year old vehicle with spotty service records imo. Thoughts?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.