Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I went with something like this as a "cover" for my last hitch.

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Covers/Pilot-Automotive/CR-402.html

It got me stopped in parking lots a couple of times, asking me if my vehicle was amphibious. :D
I could have used "amphibious" on our TL that got drowned in a flood!

We used to have tons of those around here--we're in a boating area. :D When I worked in industrial distribution in the Downriver area, a lot of guys came by the branch looking for bearings as they were making their own out of used boat props.

Lately it's Harley emblems... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hitch + Install < $200

Any shop can sell and install a hitch for $150 to $200 here in Memphis I got a hitch and installed for $175.

Hitch are rated for 2000 pounds or more but the CRV limit is 1500 so your good to go.

Wiring
Trailer Connector Kit-Custom Wiring Connector 56370 $30 shipping included and is just a plug in adapter.

·
Registered
21 Posts
For a more conspicuous fit, I went with U-Haul's 1'1/4" class II hitch with round tubes. It's rated at 3,500 lbs towing capacity which is way more than the CR-V can take. This is mainly to carry a Yakima Literider 2-bike rack but I am also having wiring installed in case I want to take my motorcycle on a trailer :). Now for the best part.... The total price installed with wiring is only $256, they only charge $32 for the hitch installation.

uhaul.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've got a UHaul 1.25" on mine with a Thule T2. Our Mazda has a 1.25" Curt hitch. They're not hard to install. Also, I highly recommend getting a bike rack that clamps on the wheels rather than the usually cheaper cradle type. Less likely to damage the bicycle and you don't have to worry about securing wheels from spinning on the freeway. The only exception is if your bike has fenders, then it may not work well with the T2 style rack.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry, a 'little' late to reply but. The standard 1up IS a 1 1/4" with a 2" adapter on it so it can be used in a 2" Receiver or a 1 1/4" Receiver. So, if you wanted to use it in a 1 1/4" Receiver, just remove the adapter, slide it in and snug up the Safety Allen Bolt.

Hopefully by now you had that figured out and are enjoying the 1up Bike Rack, Enjoy.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yes, a 1-1/4" hitch is the same as a 1.25" hitch. The "round tube" is probably the tubing the hitch is made of, and Class 2 indicates how heavy a trailer it can tow.

You don't need the ball mount or hitch ball, but you do need a hitch pin and clip.

Although to be honest, I'd get a locking hitch pin so you can leave the bike rack on the CR-V while you're riding, and not worry about the rack being stolen.
We had an aftermarket company put the 2” receiver on for the Yakima rack that tilts and locks which I highly highly recommend. My wife and I were using it daily for years. Don’t get the swing away kind. Much more hassle. $400 for hitch with four prong electrical and $600 (I think) for rack.
F4DAD586-94A7-4A56-8B79-015F512CE818.jpeg
1D6AF617-4C51-4678-BD61-C744F8583B9F.jpeg

·
3,060 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I have a Curt 2" on my '07. Considerably stronger, stouter, better made than any of the smaller ones. I have the wiring too. I don't need a bike rack, but it will tow a pretty heavy trailer with no issues.

·
Registered
696 Posts
1.25 is 1 1/4. The round just refers to the shape of the tubing used from the chassis mounting plates to the receiver itself.
No shame in have UHaul install it.
A member recently may have experienced an issue at a uhaul hitch install recently.

As mentioned a hitch can be just a bolt on option requiring just a few hand tools.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts