Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2010 CRV EXL and want to use my Thule bike rack from my previous car on the Honda. I have not had a Honda hitch installed yet.

Here is my question the Honda hitch is 2" the Thule post is 1.25".

I called Thule and was told they don't make or recommend adapters for safety or legal reasons. I see after market adapters that would connect my bike rack post to the Honda 2" hitch.

Have any of you used these adapters? Are they safe? They seem to stick out further from the car because the adapter is approx. 10" long. Do they put extra stress on the hitch that is bolted to the CRV?

Here is the link to one company that makes or offers these adapters.

http://www.a1-autoracks.com/hitch-adapters.html

Looking for advise before I pay for a hitch to be installed.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I will give you my experience on my 07 with the OEM honda 1.25" hitch.

When traveling I use those square hitch haulers that fit into a 2" receiver, since mine is a 1.25" I use an adapter to fit it into my OEM. While it does push out the hauler about 5 more inches, it doesn't affect the loading capacity of it. Instead of using a clevis pin to hold the adapter into the hitch, I used a galvanized bolt and locknuts on each of the sliding pieces. With this, I have carried 100# of luggage across the country several times without issue.

As long as you don't OVERLOAD you will be fine with an extension.

·
Registered
351 Posts
The OEM Honda hitch for the CR-V is a 1.25" receiver. We're running a Thule Doubletrack 990XT.
Right...find a rack for the 1.25 hitch and you'll have no worries.

The adapters are more for light duty luggage racks and such, and bike racks can easily exceed the tongue weight and the adapter makes matters worse due to its increase length. Not recommended.

·
Premium Member
3,660 Posts
Some of the confusion may start with someone at the dealership misreading the accessory application guide. There is a listing for a 1 7/8" and 2" ball for the hitch. All too many times that gets read as the CRV having a 2" hitch option.

If the hitch is 1 1/4 and the post on the Thule rack is 1 1/4 i would call it prolblem solved.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just my experience - I had a hitch with a 2" receiver installed, and use a 2" to 1 1/4" adapter for my bike rack (a Swagman XP 3-bike) - no issues or problems.

·
Registered
686 Posts
My opinion, if your'e goign ot use this rack a lot, ditch the cheap 1-1/4" sport frame hitch and isntall a 2" Class II hitch. More options for accessories, muhc more stable and it bolts right up. Many of the sportfamre hitches (Calss I&II 1-1/4") require holes to be drilled.

Honda only offers a Class I sportframe hitch, because a larger hitch would give the impression that the CR-V is rated to tow more. Also, Honda can sell a Class I hitch for about the same price as a Class II even though it costs about 30% less.

FYI- that $400 hitch (I think that's what Honda charges) costs about $80-100. It takes about 1 hour to install, but you were probably charged for 2-3 hours installation. Don't you love dealers?

The racks I've seen with 1-1/4" recievers just aren't as stable as the 2" versions.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had 2" hitch receiver and Thule bike carrier for 4 bikes came with their own adapter so I can use either 1 1/4" or 2" receiver. The Thule adapter about 6" long and both end bolt-in so it can not go anywhere. Very stable even with 4 bikes cruising at 70 m/h.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thule / adapter

Are you sure the adapter was made by Thule?

When I contacted them they said they do not or cannot recommend adapters for safety or legal reasons.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts