Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With 2 CR-Vs having the Oil Dilution Problem and the abysmal response from Honda, I’m fed up and finished with Honda. We will be trading them for 2019 RAV4s over the next couple of weeks. I want to be out of them before the next Consumer’s Report article which should “Severely Tarnish” Honda’s image and layout how Honda was “Disingenuous” to put it mildly when they misled Consumers Report by saying this problem would be fixed in the 2019 Year Model CR-V. They will also be mentioning that the problem affects Civics and Accords.

·
Registered
232 Posts
That’s a rotten shame and just shows how unethical Honda is being about this issue. If they came out and offered the extended warranty for this issue it would probably help people feel better but for them to deny that this is a problem and offer nothing is just unconsciable. Bad business plain and simple.

I was out driving this morning in my Jeep and it was -14F. No way would I take that cold blooded CRV out in that because I’m sure I would have frozen to death. While out I did see a 19’ Rav 4 and it looked sharp! Good luck it sounds like you have a path to rid yourself of those oil dilutors!

·
Registered
537 Posts
With 2 CR-Vs having the Oil Dilution Problem and the abysmal response from Honda, I’m fed up and finished with Honda. We will be trading them for 2019 RAV4s over the next couple of weeks. I want to be out of them before the next Consumer’s Report article which should “Severely Tarnish” Honda’s image and layout how Honda was “Disingenuous” to put it mildly when they misled Consumers Report by saying this problem would be fixed in the 2019 Year Model CR-V. They will also be mentioning that the problem affects Civics and Accords.
I just reread all your posts. It is so sad to see that every post was negative. No one should live with this for so long. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
It's sad how Honda is treating customers. I would think they would care about all this negative publicity. It seems like they don't care. Toyota must be loving this. I haven't had problems with my 2018 EX-L, but it makes me wonder if I can count on them for any kind defect during my warranty. I am concrened. I apprecieate all the problems identified here. It lets me know what to watch for.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,009 Posts
I hear ya. a lot of products we have owned are making the turn for the worse:

rav-4 dash the head unit get to like it if that is what obstructs a view. been with Toyota and Honda, tehy were the best cars around.

FISH

·
Registered
34 Posts
There's not a manufacturer out there that doesn't have issues. Granted some are worse than others. It's a roll of the dice. Good luck.

·
Registered
2016 CR-V EX-L
163 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Honestly, the main thing that kept me from the Rav4 was the lack of Android Auto. That's a deal breaker for me. Toyota seriously needs to get on-board with that. I'm not buying a car without it.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,009 Posts
HAve fun with Scout. it's a free app for toyota.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It isn't just Honda 1.5L turbo charged engine with oil dilution, some other brands with similar problem. It may be related to low speed pre-ignition (LSPI), which is a kind of random knocking for turbo-charged engine. Until now, automobile industries haven't found a solution. My 2018 CRV EX had a similar problem when I brought it. However, I use my approach to prevent it happen, so far I haven't found oil dilution. If you are interested in the solution, you could see my post.

·
Registered
74 Posts
What people are forgetting is that most people don't do their own oil changes so they have no idea they have the problem ! Even many of the dealers refuse to admit there's a problem. I remember the same thing with Toyota's 2.4l oil burning issue. Only when enough people complained about it did Toyota do anything about it. Unfortunately it's all about the money now for the manufactures. Even Honda and Toyota!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Honestly, the main thing that kept me from the Rav4 was the lack of Android Auto. That's a deal breaker for me. Toyota seriously needs to get on-board with that. I'm not buying a car without it.
We are an “iPhone Family” so no concerns there. I have always bought “First year of a model change” vehicles so I’m w just glad they are updated for 2019. I am impressed with the new Engine they have

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It isn't just Honda 1.5L turbo charged engine with oil dilution, some other brands with similar problem. It may be related to low speed pre-ignition (LSPI), which is a kind of random knocking for turbo-charged engine. Until now, automobile industries haven't found a solution. My 2018 CRV EX had a similar problem when I brought it. However, I use my approach to prevent it happen, so far I haven't found oil dilution. If you are interested in the solution, you could see my post.
We only use Premium gasoline (Chevron with Techron and Shell V-Nitro) and also have ECON turned on. Only highway driving in warm climate. Engine temp is up to normal within 3-4 minutes. Both Dilute at close to same rate. I just brought our 2018 Touring in Saturday morning for the Service Manager to check “Status”...oil is almost 1/4” Above the orange piece and Maintenance Minder is only at 80%

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Drove a new RAV4 over the weekend. First one, the power seat mechanism failed and didn't work at all. Salesman was very embarrassed.

Only real complaint I had is that it's a loud buzzy engine and annoying when giving it gas. My gf noticed it before I said a word. We need a new vehicle and it was struck from the list immediately after driving it.

·
Registered
59 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
It's only better if CRV works properly. Just too many problems and a company that doesn't react when serious problems show up. When car mags test a car they only drive it a short time. I have found those tests flawed

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Does Motor Trend buy those cars they test?....or are the cars just on loan to Motor Trend?

I put more faith in the CR tests as they do buy all the vehicles they test and drive them several thousand miles before starting their tests at their 300+ acre automotive test facility. By looking at the CR test results, one at least has a good starting point as to what they might like. The '17 CRV was not rated #1 by CR but it was rated in the top 4 compact SUVs. We test drove the top 4 (CX5, Forester, RAV4, CRV).....tough decision, could not go wrong with any of them. However, if none of those 4 had "floated our boat", we would not be driving any of those 4.

17 months later, still happy with our decision. IF our CRV starts giving problems tomorrow, it will be gone by the weekend.....not living with any vehicle that doesn't give that big ol' grin in the rear view mirror. Time to go check the rear view mirror (again).:)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.