Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a suspension test they discovered that one of the front shock absorber has leaked. Therefore I changed both front absorbers and the protective rubber which was damaged. During this I also installed a 3cm leveling kit (plastic spacers from russian tema4x4) on both front and back, did the optics and everything was as I wanted. But I noticed that there was a little sound coming from the back when every now and then. After few weeks the sound is more or less present at all times. I can even hear it if push (rock) the car with my hands on a parking lot. It comes from the rear left. The mechanic checked everything and could find nothing while the car was lifted up. He lubed the rubbers as much as he could. I went to different mechanic who checks for "air in the joints" while the car is down. Some plate under the wheel is moving left and right, and the guy in the canal under a car is looking if everything is ok. No problems. The suspension test shows all four shock absorbers and springs are ok. But the sound is still present. Please help, what else should we look into?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,777 Posts
Anytime you change the relationship of rubber bushings to ride height, you should re-adjust them to your 'new normal'.

Usually that means having the car on its wheels. Then loosen all the control arm mounts, 'bounce' the car to settle it, and re-tighten.

what you are doing is taking the twisting stress off the rubber. Hopefully you don't have torn rubber.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the answer. I checked with the mechanic and we both agree that this sounds very logical, but he says that just makeing them loose and re-tighten will not be easy. He said that most bolts will not un-tighten easily - probably will brake the bolt or the rubber that is almost glued to the metal parts after these years of usage. Are there any parts that are the most likely to cause this noise? Like rear sway arms links? So that I can focus on them first...

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,777 Posts
While I agree about seized bolts, its worth a try. Usually suspension bushings have a metal sleeve at the center that can corrode. :mad:

Perhaps a mechanic's stethoscope could pinpoint the source of the noise.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I read somewhere on the internet that with lift kits rear sway arms links can be the most problematic for noises... Any opinion about that?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,777 Posts
You know what part of the human anatomy opinions are like... :rolleyes:

Without being there, we cannot get specific. My advice in Post 4 is worth following.

(or have a mechanic do it...but the important thing is to listen with the wheel supported, not hanging).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just wanted to let you know how we solved the issue. Last week finally I found the time to visit the mechanic. We listened and looked and discovered that the sound is comming from the upper part of the shock absorber/spring assambly. We put it out and noticed that the plastic spacer (from the lift kit) was scratched just a little bit on one side. When the car was moving it was scratching on the chasis cup on the upper part where shock/spring assembly goes into to be screwed down from the other side. So we created some space between that chasis cup and the spacer and all is well now. Sorry that I don't have any photos ...

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Anytime you change the relationship of rubber bushings to ride height, you should re-adjust them to your 'new normal'.

Usually that means having the car on its wheels. Then loosen all the control arm mounts, 'bounce' the car to settle it, and re-tighten.
I just replaced the rear control arms on my '09 yesterday with adjustable arms from Moog. One of the points they make in the instructions is to loosely attach the bolts, then put vehicle weight on the suspension before tightening them down. (BTW, I used a little trick to make certain the adjustable control arms were the exact length of the old ones between bolt holes, so I don't need an alignment right away.)

As for seized bolts...I had no issues whatsoever. Both bolts came out easily. I have no idea what the fronts would be like, but, I'm considering a lift kit and I may get to find that out for myself soon enough. ? I run a slightly larger tire, so a 1.5" or 2" lift would be about ideal.

I read somewhere on the internet that with lift kits rear sway arms links can be the most problematic for noises... Any opinion about that?
Only if they are worn, in which case they can knock around. For some lift kits out there, the vendor sometimes supplies a set of slightly longer stabilizer bar links to compensate.

With any lift kit, though, your camber is going to be thrown off. I do not have a lift kit yet, but I just installed some adjustable rear control arms yesterday (made by Moog--really easy to install). The other thing needed is a set of camber bolts to replace the front pinch bolts from the strut to the steering knuckle. This allows them to be loosened and the wheel adjusted. LIft kits can also stress the axles front and rear due to the increased angle. From what I've read on the Honda Element forums, only the OE axles hold up--aftermarket axles have failed from the added stress.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts