Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys/Gals,

I bought a 2012 CR-V certified pre-owned from my local Honda dealer in December. Back in January I made an appointment for a thumping noise when applying the brakes, which my wife and I could hear especially at low speeds. At the time they said it was normal, and then the technician cross threaded the lug nut when putting the tire back on. Fortunately, the dealer took ownership and repaired it at no cost to me for their error.

Fast forward to this past weekend, the thumping was noticeable again (car isn't driven much and have put about 1k miles total since purchase). I made an appointment at a different Honda dealer, and they said the noise is coming from the rear brake pads, and the pads on the car are non-OEM semi metallic pads. They also recommended resurfacing the rotors and said I should take it back to the dealer I bought it from.

I scheduled an appointment from them this weekend, and the service manager said we need to talk to the used car manager. Question: Should Honda C.P.O. vehincles use OEM parts? The aftermarket pads are well within spec, but the service advisor I spoke to today said they are cheap aftermarket pads. I called Honda, and they told me to take it up with the dealer. When I asked Honda about the C.P.O. process, they agent said that the dealer probably just visually inspecated the pads, and I need to take it up with the dealer.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
1,861 Posts
Yes the dealer should have used OEM brake pads, The materials used in brake pads vary considerable between manufacturers. Honda tests and qualifies supplier's parts to make sure they meet spec not only in regards to fit but in performance. Looks like the dealer was trying to save 20 bucks on brake pads. You should go back to the dealership who put the pads on and have them make it right....and if that requires new rotors, its also on them.
I have had dealers offer "OEM", "Economy", "Premium" grades of brake pads, I get the OEM.
The premium pads may claim better stopping and longer life but usually at the expense of shorter rotor life.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the dealer should have used OEM brake pads, The materials used in brake pads vary considerable between manufacturers. Honda tests and qualifies supplier's parts to make sure they meet spec not only in regards to fit but in performance. Looks like the dealer was trying to save 20 bucks on brake pads. You should go back to the dealership who put the pads on and have them make it right....and if that requires new rotors, its also on them.
I have had dealers offer "OEM", "Economy", "Premium" grades of brake pads, I get the OEM.
The premium pads may claim better stopping and longer life but usually at the expense of shorter rotor life.
Thanks, Traylaw. I will keep everyone posted in terms of what they end up doing.

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
Just because it was cpo doesn't mean the dealer did the brakes on it. It could have been done before it was traded in. The service department would have been a le to see if the pads were replaced at the dealership or not

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found the CPO checklist, and the rear brake pads were not replaced by the dealer but the front pads were. The million dollar question now is if the dealership will replace the rear pads and cut the rotors, due to the noise. Since brake pads are a wear and tear item, they may not cover it.

I already took it in once back in January, and the service advisor gave me the lovely, "All CR-V's make that noise. It's normal." I have owned more than one Honda, and none of them have made that noise, including my 02 Accord, which I still own. To add insult to injury, the technician cross threaded one of the lug nuts by using an air impact wrench to put the lugs back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Service Manager ended up replacing the rear pads with OEM pads for free, once they confirmed they were after market. He said that if it was his car, he would want the OEM pads on there. I thanked him about a million times for making it right. He was originally going to talk to the used car manager, but he said he probably would have said no and will discuss it with him later.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
1,861 Posts
Service Manager ended up replacing the rear pads with OEM pads for free, once they confirmed they were after market. He said that if it was his car, he would want the OEM pads on there. I thanked him about a million times for making it right. He was originally going to talk to the used car manager, but he said he probably would have said no and will discuss it with him later.
Glad to hear they put OEM pads on......now has the thumping gone away?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glad to hear they put OEM pads on......now has the thumping gone away?
I forgot to mention the most important part: The thumping noise has indeed gone away from the rear. I bought the vehicle off of a lease, so the previous owner probably had his/her mechanic put the cheapest pads available.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts