Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I recently had a power steering fluid leak on my 2007 CRV. I'd hear a power steering whine and check the fluid level and sure enough, it would be low. I'd fill it back up and it would be silent until the level got low again.

I took it in to my local mechanic and they replaced the high pressure hose and sensor. The leak is fixed now. BUT now, despite the fluid level being correct, I have the steering whine all the time. AND I now have a high pitched chirping from the serpentine belt.

The shop checked it out again and said the belt tensioner may be going (it's only got 50k miles on it) and the power steering pump may need replacement.

Since I had neither of these problems up until I got the car back from them, it seems a little coincidental that suddenly both components have problems.

I swapped out the inlet hose o-ring -- replacing the original black one that was in there with the newer orange one as apparently is a common problem. At first it seemed like this fixed the whine, but later in the day it came back and has been back since.

Any ideas for fixes that don't involve replacing components that I have trouble believing suddenly went bad right after the shop fixed something mostly unrelated? Right now my best guesses are possibly that they used generic (non-Honda) PS fluid (would that cause the whine?) and possibly spilled some on the belt/pulleys. So I'm thinking my first moves should be to drain the PS fluid and replace with Honda fluid, and to clean the belt and pulleys with carb cleaner. Anything else I should check or try, or any reason not to do either of these things?

Thanks in advance.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,196 Posts
Don't use carb cleaner on rubber.:rolleyes:

Have you purged the system by turning the wheels full-lock in each direction a few times? (Don't want to assume...)

Inspect the new hoses for kinks...restrictions can cause a whine.

A mechanics stethoscope (or paper towel tube) could be used to isolate the source of the noise if you are lucky. (Tensioner or idler) I've had aftermarket idlers make noise right after installation./..had to take them apart and shim the bearing so as not to rub on the tensioner arm. ?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Have you purged the system by turning the wheels full-lock in each direction a few times? (Don't want to assume...)

Inspect the new hoses for kinks...restrictions can cause a whine.
^^That^^. I would think your shop would know to do that, though. Might be time for a new pump. Of course you want the correct fluid in there. Hondas are pretty sensitive to incorrect fluids (at least in the case of transmission fluid and PS fluid).

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I had a whine that a new alternator, tensioner pulley and water pump did not cure, so I can only guess it was the power steering pump. But in mine, the whine went away on its own.

The tensioner could be bad depending on which brand was used to replace it. Mine at 140k miles wasn't making noise, but was freewheeling when I would spin it, meaning the bearing was bad. (A fresh bearing will spin smoothly but will have slight resistance due to the grease packing and the rubber contact seals.) Cheap aftermarket tensioners use terrible quality Chinesium no-name bearings that are made with poor quality bearing steel that fail relatively soon. My tensioner pulley was a Dayco which used a common size NTN bearing with high-contact rubber seals--I couldn't have asked for anything better.

As said earlier, you may need to flush out the system and use all Honda PS fluid. Although it may not cure the whine. But the health of the steering rack also depends on genuine Honda fluid, and that is a lot more expensive to replace than a power steering pump.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts