Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2005 CRV and the built in sat nav unit has stopped working. I'm wanting to buy a replacement one with sat nav and also bluetooth so I can use my phone hands free.

Is it simply a case of choosing a double din unit of the correct size off eBay?

Any advice on fitting the original fascia/surround back on would be great and also how wiring the new unit in?

Here's a photo of the wiring and unit I've just removed:

Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you are talking about buying a used Honda OEM Navi unit meant for a newer Honda, no that will not work due to the way everything integrates together. If you are talking about buying an aftermarket system from, say Pioneer or Kenwood, yes that will work but it's not as easy as just dropping in the new unit. To make everything work you will need (at a minimum):
-Double Din dash adapter for your year/make/model (Scosche is a good brand, Metra is ok)
-Wiring harness -or- steering wheel control interface, depending on your existing system. Do you have steering wheel buttons to control volume, channel, etc? If so, you need the interface so you can use those controls on the new system
-Antenna adapter for your year/make/model
-Taps and soldering tools to connect the wires
-Optional: Parking brake bypass so your passenger (ahem) can access the navigation function while the vehicle is in motion

When you buy the wiring harness or interface, they usually include a wiring diagram and directions on which wires to tap into.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm doing pretty much exactly the same thing with a Pioneer SPH-DA210. I've discovered that the included double din cage is too big for the opening (104mm), but hopefully a universal double din cage like the Autoleads DFPK-103 will fit.

However, I'm still not sure what to do about the GPS aerial since the existing connector is a GT5-1S connector and the Pioneer has their "straight green" one. Do most people just solder their own connectors together for this?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts