Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So the blue '09 CR-V was starting to sound a little noisy, and I see that the flange between the resonator pipe and the muffler has deteriorated. I've use a repair flange on my '97, but the way that the hanger on the resonator pipe seems to attached on the stock exhaust, that might come loose as well. (I have to look at it closer.) The repair flange isn't always a permanent fix either. I don't know if this is simply corrosion, or if it has to do with when someone backed into the rear bumper and damaged other parts--it could have knocked loose an already weakened flange. (Yet the exhaust tip is untouched. Unless they bumped the body of the muffler, which is possible--they creased the spare tire well by hitting the rear tie-down hook.)

Now I'm looking at repair options. I prefer OEM, but we're looking at well over $600 for the resonator/mid-pipe and the muffler (I would do both, given the age). I had a terrible experience with an ill-fitting Walker replacement on my '97, and the exhaust was louder than stock, so I won't be using their parts. The only other options at Rock Auto are Bosal and Ansa (the latter I've never heard of). Summit Racing also offers something called AP Exhaust. Borla and Mugen do not offer systems for the CR-V, and neither do Corsa, Magnaflow or Flowmaster.

Any other options I am missing? I don't mind spending a little more to get a good-quality exhaust system, and would prefer stainless steel. But the Honda option is just way too expensive for what it is.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,789 Posts
Go to a muffler shop and tell them your specification (SS, not too noisy, etc) They could surely look up a similar sized unit for you, and the shop would be able to get flanges and cut off the old one.

Magnaflow is a quality name brand for SS mufflers. Their website DOES list applications for your CR-V.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw those at Magnaflow, but they are not "bolt-on" ready. If this CR-V was worth it, though, I would probably go that route and have a custom stainless exhaust made for it.

How about one of those "glasspack" mufflers for a CR-V? ?

I am investigating a repair flange for the pipe, but on examining the pipe closer, the exhaust hanger peg on the Honda OEM is indeed attached to the flange. I also don't understand where the rest of the flange went--I compared it to the other '09 and that one is nice and thick. I can't imagine it rusted off that badly, but anything is possible. The blue '09 looks worse underneath in terms of rust and honestly, with that recall in Canada regarding the rear suspension mount points rusting out on third gen CR-Vs, I have a bad feeling about this one and may sell it before it becomes a bigger problem. It led a rougher life than my other CR-V, from what I'm seeing underneath.

I'll post up some pics of the two exhausts and if I do use a repair flange, I'll post up a few photos of that also. I figure many of these are approaching the "exhaust falling apart" age and it could help others decide to replace the pipes or work with a repair flange.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,789 Posts
The important thing is to match the length, pipe diameter, and hanger positions. The pipes can be bent by the muffler shop (Mandrel bends are best).

That Magnaflow page I linked (by putting in 2009 CR-V as the vehicle) DOES list some glass-packs. Question is, will they be too raspy for you?

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The important thing is to match the length, pipe diameter, and hanger positions. The pipes can be bent by the muffler shop (Mandrel bends are best).

That Magnaflow page I linked (by putting in 2009 CR-V as the vehicle) DOES list some glass-packs. Question is, will they be too raspy for you?
I was just kidding about the glasspacks. I'm not the daily driver of that CR-V. ? (I'll save that for when I finally have a mid-life crisis and find my perfect '65 Wildcat convertible.)

I rechecked the rest of the pipe an hour or so ago and it seems to be solid, except for this one flange. I'm thinking that the parking lot bump (where someone backed into it) probably weakened it or even knocked it off. That was back in the winter, but I drove it when I got home from my road trip last week and noticed the slight noise of the exhaust compared to mine.

I thought about claiming it on insurance if we have that rear end fixed, but I just "paid off" the Acura TL that drowned five years ago, and that was an additional $900/year penalty we had to pay because of it ever since then. (Our insurance rates are outrageous in Michigan.) For that repair, I may see if they'll fix the spare tire tub, and I'll pay out of pocket for it. And I can install a new bumper cover and lower tailgate garnish on my own. The rear door/hatch also needs to be aligned or adjusted as the latch grabs when it opens.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts