Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys. The headlights on my wife's CRV have yellowed pretty badly. They were "cleaned" a couple times but it always came back worse. They're beyond cleaning now and I'd like to replace them with decent aftermarket headlights. I really like these black housing lights from Spec D. I was wondering if anyone has these or similar aftermarket lights on their CRV. I'm looking for some with a good cutoff (not all scattered) and not interested in lights with fake projectors. Please post some pics including one of the cutoff against a wall. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Can’t help you with the aftermarket lenses, I did do a thorough headlight restoration on mine because they were super yellow and haven’t come back since. I would recommend upgrading bulbs to LED though after your upgrade, makes a HUGE difference! Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
[QUOTEThe headlights on my wife's CRV have yellowed pretty badly. They were "cleaned" a couple times but it always came back worse. They're beyond cleaning now … ][/QUOTE]

They are absolutely not beyond cleaning or saving. Properly done, the procedure will be semi-permanent. It's obviously not being done correctly. Also, there no aftermarket replacement units out there anywhere that even remotely equal the OEM units in quality, so you would just be going to an even worse situation. Use the 3M headlight restoration kit, then just wax them and keep them waxed. It's really not difficult at all, but it must be done thoroughly and correctly. There are many good YouTube videos on the process. If it's not working for you, the problem is not the headlights, it's you. When I do it, it generally lasts up to two years or more, before needing more wax. If I wax them more often, they will last indefinitely.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
[QUOTEThe headlights on my wife's CRV have yellowed pretty badly. They were "cleaned" a couple times but it always came back worse. They're beyond cleaning now … ]
They are absolutely not beyond cleaning or saving. Properly done, the procedure will be semi-permanent. It's obviously not being done correctly. Also, there no aftermarket replacement units out there anywhere that even remotely equal the OEM units in quality, so you would just be going to an even worse situation. Use the 3M headlight restoration kit, then just wax them and keep them waxed. It's really not difficult at all, but it must be done thoroughly and correctly. There are many good YouTube videos on the process. If it's not working for you, the problem is not the headlights, it's you. When I do it, it generally lasts up to two years or more, before needing more wax. If I wax them more often, they will last indefinitely.[/QUOTE]

Aside from the yellowing on the lenses, they developed scratches on the inside and outside. These never came off when the lights were cleaned and only got worse over time. I think the only solution would be to remove the lens and clean it on the inside.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can’t help you with the aftermarket lenses, I did do a thorough headlight restoration on mine because they were super yellow and haven’t come back since. I would recommend upgrading bulbs to LED though after your upgrade, makes a HUGE difference! Good luck!
How long ago did you restore the headlights? I've had LED headlights on there for a couple of years now. They're brighter but don't help with the yellow look in the day time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Restored about a year ago, the yellowing of the lens was pretty bad on mine. I cut the lens pretty hard and buffed the crap out of it. I only actually updated to LED's about a month or two ago, when I couldn't stand driving in the dark with terrible lighting anymore. I went ahead and did the interior bulb kit too while I was at it (includes the rear license plate lamp as well). Let us know what you end up doing!

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
That yellowing puzzles me. My '07 came from Los Angeles to Texas, and mine have no yellowing at all, not even the slightest hint. I wonder what causes it? Must be pollution. But as for the rest of it, the plastic is pretty thick and I've never not been able to remove all of whatever it took to make them look brand new, on any vehicle, here. I seriously doubt you actually have interior scratches, though long term condensation could leave the insides cloudy/dirty. They can be cleaned inside but you have to take them off to do it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I finally got around to renewing the headlights last October. One of the headlights had a couple broken clips which caused the light to vibrate, so I bought a used headlight and restored that one as well. I had to open up the original lights and sand and buff the insides as well. I decided to paint them like those Spec-D lights while I was at it.

I also installed a set of NovSight's newer LED bulbs and I'm very pleased with the outcome. Those bulbs actually give out a projectorish beam pattern with a nice cutoff.

·
Registered
2008 Honda CR-V EX-L FWD
99 Posts
@Slowfosho nice V's you got there. You've found a good LED bulb, the light is not scatter everywhere seems to focus more toward the center. Some LED bulb scatter the light everywhere, except where you needed. I take the retrofit route and put in some Morimoto D2s bixenon, in mine, very satisfy with the output.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@Slowfosho nice V's you got there. You've found a good LED bulb, the light is not scatter everywhere seems to focus more toward the center. Some LED bulb scatter the light everywhere, except where you needed. I take the retrofit route and put in some Morimoto D2s bixenon, in mine, very satisfy with the output.
Thanks. I didn't want to retrofit the CRV since it's my wife's car. I didn't want to mess with it so much. I did do a retrofit on my HRV though. Here's a video that I made a few years ago. It has changed a bit since then.

This is the latest look.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Your HRV look awesome sir. How is the ride quality on those ~ 19" ? Look nicely lowered as well.
I didn't notice much of a difference with the 19" wheels. It bounces a bit with the springs though, but nowhere near as bad as other springs I've had in other cars. I went with Tanabe NF210 "Natural Feel".

Nice retrofit. I like that you kept it OEM looking. I've seen a few that are completely blacked out and it just takes away from the look of the car. I think cars need some chrome in the lights to look good.

·
Registered
2008 Honda CR-V EX-L FWD
99 Posts
Thanks. I like to keep the OEM look as much as possible. Im still trying to work on my polishing technique to get my headlight as clear as yours. I lowered mine on HR spring with KYB shock, sportier handling, but a stiffer ride. So Im worrying going with larger wheel and get a jarring ride. However, I do like the look of 19s.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda CR-V EX-L FWD
99 Posts
@racoon. I have DA polisher with the foam pad and cutting fluid, and the PlasticX from Meguiar. I went thru the whole wet sanding, and polishing regiment, however, it still not as clear as Slowfosho car. So I am suspecting the plastic on my headlight are more damage than expected, or the inside is dirty due to when I bake the headlight to open it when doing retrofit. I will try another polishing, hopefully it will get it clearer. Curious to how minutes you polish each headlight to get your desire result.?

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
If you've taken the headlight apart then the problem may be the inside of the lens.
I never sanded mine, although I did come across that "fix" on the internet.
I just used the Mother's ball and PlastX.

I'm guessing, but on my 1999 CR-V I think it was about 10-15 minutes per headlight, and included polishing for awhile, then cleaning off the headlight with water to see how it was coming, then more polishing and more water until it was clear. Then shift to the other side and work on that headlight.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts