Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am thinking of putting a new muffler in my gen 2.5. I am looking for a smooth rumbling sound, nothing too loud or high pitched at high rpm. Something that gives a steady tone without making the V sound too ricey or a trying hard racer. I want to keep its SUV quality but add a bit of muscular sound, at least. I do not want to go overboard with catbacks and such; I want to keep its daily driven appeal but have some fun with it. I do not need a full exhaust upgrade. I have a K&N drop in filter and that is about as fine with me for now, though thinking of a possible remap in the future. I have heard Magnaflows and they seem to suit my sound/noise signature. Does anyone have experience with this with this model?

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Magnaflow will suit your needs. I have installed a Magnaflow muffler on another vehicle not your particular model. I would suggest just to replace the existing muffler you have with a Magnaflow. I have checked the Magnaflow Webpage there is not a bolt on Application for your model. You will need to go to a Muffler shop & then tell them you just want a Magnaflow Muffler. Tell the installer what you want as if you want quieter or louder. The longer the muffler the quieter it gets & vice versa. Where are you located? When I have installed a Magnaflow muffler before I was very happy with it. I want the same sound as you were mentioning & I described it to the installer & he ordered the right muffler. Get the Magnaflow muffler you will not be disappointed. I searched the Youtube I only found 1video for Gen 1 model. Just for safety of the electrical system be sure you disconnect the negative terminal on the battery. Let me know.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I agree with the Magnaflow mufflers, they will be nice sounding without attracting too much attention. For your generation CRV, I'd suggest looking at the oval mufflers with a 2.25" ID and 3" OD (MAX). Get an exhaust shop to fabricate a new axleback just so you can reuse our oem axle back if you ever decide to sell the CRV.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your reply, otto888man. I have asked around and watched videos and it seems Magnaflow is the choice for ones wanting a nice tone. I am in the Philippines and have access to these products, so I will give it a shot.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the specs, Splitfyre; this will definitely help easy up my choices. Am looking at the Magnaflow 14829, 2.25" ID but 4" OD; would the bigger OD matter, sound-wise? I agree not wanting to attract too much attention--the car is no racer and is considered by many a family car so I do not want to go overboard trying to "force" the issue of trying to become a Civic Type R.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Thanks for your reply, otto888man. I have asked around and watched videos and it seems Magnaflow is the choice for ones wanting a nice tone. I am in the Philippines and have access to these products, so I will give it a shot.
No problem. If you were in the GTA I could have recommended you to a muffler shop that I have done my Magnaflow before. If you are gonna upgrade the Outlet Pipe from the inlet pipe & make it bigger it might make it more louder & you might loose low end torque. As you know that the Magnaflow is a straight through muffler & it has way less restriction compared to OE muffler. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey fellow Filipino! I just checked the Magnaflow website and saw that they don't offer the 3"OD anymore. I used the 2.5"ID/4"OD on my Subaru before and it was loud! Another manufacturer to check out would be Vibrant if you want to keep the OEM look.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Hey fellow Filipino! I just checked the Magnaflow website and saw that they don't offer the 3"OD anymore. I used the 2.5"ID/4"OD on my Subaru before and it was loud! Another manufacturer to check out would be Vibrant if you want to keep the OEM look.

Just curious is the Vibrant is as good as Magnaflow? I have not heard this company before.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just curious is the Vibrant is as good as Magnaflow? I have not heard this company before.
It's more widely used on smaller vehicles (i.e. Civics, Fits, Accords, etc.) and they're a bit more pricey than Magnaflow. They offer stock-looking mufflers as well, that's why I suggested it to the OP.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey, kabayan Splitfyre! How do these Vibrant mufflers sound? Any experience with it?
I've heard some on EG/EK Civics, so mostly D/B-series engines. I have not seen or heard one on a CR-V yet, but I'm going to assume that it would sound more like a stock-ish Civic SI.
I was planning to go with a Magnaflow but after seeing that they got rid of the 3"OD tipped mufflers, I might go with Vibrant now. Check Youtube for some exhaust videos.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've heard some on EG/EK Civics, so mostly D/B-series engines. I have not seen or heard one on a CR-V yet, but I'm going to assume that it would sound more like a stock-ish Civic SI.
I was planning to go with a Magnaflow but after seeing that they got rid of the 3"OD tipped mufflers, I might go with Vibrant now. Check Youtube for some exhaust videos.
Would a 4" OD matter, sound-wise vs a 3" one? I don't want a screamer. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Would a 4" OD matter, sound-wise vs a 3" one? I don't want a screamer. :)
Not really sure about the sound difference, just advising to get a smaller tip to attract less attention. I've had the Magnaflow #14827 on my Subaru and it was loud. Plus the fact that the bumper cutout looks small to accept a 4"OD tip.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not really sure about the sound difference, just advising to get a smaller tip to attract less attention. I've had the Magnaflow #14827 on my Subaru and it was loud. Plus the fact that the bumper cutout looks small to accept a 4"OD tip.
Good point. I think the OEM tip is 3" (I'll check later when I get home). I will look at Vibrant now. Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Good point. I think the OEM tip is 3" (I'll check later when I get home). I will look at Vibrant now. Thanks.
Goodluck with your search! Please post updates when you have decided on a muffler/exhaust, and if possible post video clips for looks and sound reference.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Does the obvious change in back pressure using these mufflers adversely affect the ECU's program ??? Just curious. Craig
IF only changing the axle back part of the exhaust, I'd say (IMO) it really won't affect the ECU's program and if it does it would be VERY minimal.
Now if somebody decides to go full exhaust (From header to axle back), then that's a different story and would probably need a tune to optimize the flow of the new system.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
IF only changing the axle back part of the exhaust, I'd say (IMO) it really won't affect the ECU's program and if it does it would be VERY minimal.
Now if somebody decides to go full exhaust (From header to axle back), then that's a different story and would probably need a tune to optimize the flow of the new system.
Interesting point. I am planning on doing a catback setup as well to maximize the "upgrade", so would there be potential ECU issues as pointed out? What could "very minimal" be? Heard from other users that they eventually got CEL's right after install or a few miles after.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
I will say its 99.9% will be no you will not have any problem. if there is a better flow the ECU will compensate for it. As long as you do not remove the Cat converter. Usually people who get the CEL to come on as they will hollow out the Cat Converter. Even a full cat back systems will be ok & no problem.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts