Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to install an aftermarket radio in my 2006. Any suggestions as to which one to get? I'm just looking for a simple AUX input and maybe being able to hook some subs to it later. Also, what else would I need to install this?

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Man, these simple units have come down in price years ago and there are soooooo many to chose from.

All you need is a new face plate, wiring kit adapter and RCA cables coming out of the back of it to hook up the sub amp later on.

I can only imagine that even bluetooth units have also come down in price now. Go to BEST BUY or similar stores to check ‘em out!

But the cheapest bang for the buck would be changing out the factory (paper) speakers and putting in some brand name speakers to improve the sound 10 fold. Especially the tweeters.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I'm looking for something super simple. Any specific suggestions for all the stuff you mentioned?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So if I was looking for new speakers all around, subs, and a head unit, how much do you think I would be spending? Recommendations?

·
Registered
511 Posts
You need to do some more work and provide a lot more information...you can do much of this research "yourself" by going to Crutchfield.com, entering your vehicles info and voila what fits, what fits where, etc. is all available. If you're going to do the work yourself they also provide a most excellent instruction papers to help make the install easier...as well as online or phone tech support that is reputed to work very well.

Now to answer your questions, somewhat anyway.
What is your budget?
What sort of head unit? single din, double din, blue tooth, large screen?
You can get a nice head unit for under $150.00 or so.
How loud do you like to listen to music??? A basic head unit generally provides 15 watts per channel and will play generally well as long as you use very efficient speakers and don't push the amp to its' max...more noise than music.

Speakers can also be inexpensive but the cheap ones aren't much better than factory ones though at the age of yours they would be better.
Basic coaxial speakers that are efficient will provide a much better listening experience than the average factory speakers and are generally well matched to the basic after market head unit.

Forget about getting a sub woofer...the basic head unit doesn't have nearly enough power to fire a sub. You will have to get an amplifier...at the very least a single channel sub amp...you can get a cheap one but they are generally noisy...not a very clean signal...and work ok kinda sorta.

If you are going the amp route you also need to get a wiring kit with the proper fuse...the kits work well and come complete and are generally not expensive and are a must have to properly connect an amp.
You can get away with a decent four channel amp...use the front channels to power the front speakers and bridge the rear channels to power the sub...I've done this and currently using this method for my Accord, it works great but you must have enough power in the amp to power the sub.

If you want a new system I'd suggest you decide what you want the finished system to be. Then start with the best head unit that will do everything you want for the final system. That is the brains of the system and where quality will show in the music and controls. Next would be the speakers. I suggest a good quality pair of fronts as they are the most important and where the most of the sound you will hear comes from. Again within your budget or wait until you can afford them.

If you're doing the work yourself make sure you have the right tools and bits and pieces...connectors for the wiring, crimp/wire stripping tool, door panel removal tool...they are worth their cost and you don't need an expensive one...get them at the local auto parts shop...spare door panel pins, appropriate wire cutters, electrical tape, etc.

My favorites: I love Alpine...I've been using Alpine head units since the early '70s without any problems. I have head units that are 15 years old that still work like new...my brother in laws truck when I sold it to him. My '04 Accord EX has an 8 year old head unit that works like new and my 2012 CRV is having an iLX-007 Car Play unit installed in a few days.
I also love JL Audio...I've been using these speakers for over 15 years. They last a long time due to the quality of their materials and there sound is wonderful to my ears. They can also handle a lot of power without breaking up. I'm currently using a 10 inch MB Quart subwoofer. I like the quality as well but MB Quart speakers in my price range are just a bit too bright for me where the JL Audio are much more smooth. I'm currently using coaxials in my CRV while the Accord has separates with silk tweeters that are so smooth...the new coaxials in the CRV also use silk tweeters and are just as smooth.
I'd love to say I have JL Audio amps but they are out of my budget price range. I have a Memphis Audio 4 channel amp in the Accord which works very very well and the sound quality is all I could wish for.
My CRV is using the new JL Audio mini amp mainly used in marine or motorcycle/atv/etc. use. It is not as powerful as the Memphis Audio but I have it bridged making it basically a two channel amp and have it powering the factory radio...piece of crap...and the JL Audio speakers...until the Alpine head unit is installed in a few days...argh I hate waiting hehehe.

That's it for now...again tell us your total budget, where you want the final system to be like, where your music comes from...ipod/iphone/cd's/etc...and we can help more...make sure you check out Crutchfield...do your homework then ask "good" questions in order to get good and useful answers...

Good luck and keep us informed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts