Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings y’all!

I want to install a backup camera in my ‘99 V. My CD player in the original radio has stopped working. It will play only part of a disk. I thought why not replace it with a touchscreen radio that has a backup camera function?

I believe you can remove the little compartment below the stock radio to get more space. While I prefer knobs to touchscreen, it’s just the best place for a backup camera.

has anybody done this? Recommendations on what radio/kit?

also, I can measure to estimate, but I don’t know what size would fit.

·
Registered
2014 Honda CR-V EX-L AWD
60 Posts
Go check out Crutchfield.com. You can enter your vehicle information and it will show you what works with your vehicle, either as a direct replacement, or one with the use of an adapter face plate. All their radios come with a pre wired wire harness so it’s essentially just plug and play.

·
Registered
2001 Honda Crv SE AWD
8 Posts
I would suggest getting an ATOTO Headunit, comes packed with a bunch of features and easy installation for you to do, I'm planning on installing a ATOTO S8 Gen2 Premium, pretty slick and fastest screen also they sell backup camera with 3D view of your car while reversing, its pretty cool as well audio straight from the Headunit is good. Also you can buy a metra harness to wire everything up, and get it set. If not Boss sells a nice touch screen headunit, that has a volume nob, nice 9 inch screen, sells a Bestbuy with free installation so.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would suggest getting an ATOTO Headunit, comes packed with a bunch of features and easy installation for you to do, I'm planning on installing a ATOTO S8 Gen2 Premium, pretty slick and fastest screen also they sell backup camera with 3D view of your car while reversing, its pretty cool as well audio straight from the Headunit is good. Also you can buy a metra harness to wire everything up, and get it set. If not Boss sells a nice touch screen headunit, that has a volume nob, nice 9 inch screen, sells a Bestbuy with free installation so.
Wow! Too expensive for me. I wouldn’t use most of the features. I really only need a radio, CD player and backup camera. I’ll keep looking for something simple.

·
Registered
2001 Honda Crv SE AWD
8 Posts
Wow! Too expensive for me. I wouldn’t use most of the features. I really only need a radio, CD player and backup camera. I’ll keep looking for something simple.
Yea just look around, find a deal on Facebook marketplace or on Ebay or even Bestbuy for a Headunit, I try to look for like features and technical things within getting a headunit for sound quality such and so, but best of luck!

·
Super Moderator
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
4,211 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seems like you could use any old AM/FM/CD along with a rear-view mirror type backup cam.
That was my first thought. I actually bought a rear view mirror cam just for the backup camera and was going to mount it on the dash but it sucked. Then I thought my CD player has quit so why no just get a new all in one head unit?

·
Registered
2001 Crv SE
309 Posts
You can fit a single din or double din radio. I haven't put in any screens, but I really like pioneer head units all around. Worth spending a little more on a good one if you're using it to run your speakers. Single or double din, you just have to get the right dash install kit/adapter.

It looks like the back up cameras with their own screens are pretty cheap too if you didn't want a touch screen head unit to tie into a backup cam. Lots of ways you could go about it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Know this was a month ago but I put in a double din touch screen with a backup camera for 78 dollars including the mounting trim pieces and wire harness adapter. Can send links to everything I got and give a walkthrough of how I did it
Cheers
Car Vehicle Plant Motor vehicle Media player

Car Vehicle Speedometer Automotive design Motor vehicle

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Know this was a month ago but I put in a double din touch screen with a backup camera for 78 dollars including the mounting trim pieces and wire harness adapter. Can send links to everything I got and give a walkthrough of how I did it
Cheers
View attachment 151784
View attachment 151783
Yes please!!!! That’s exactly what I’m looking for.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Deals!!
here is the link for the trim kit:

Here is the radio, it’s a newer model than mine

let me look through my pictures and I think I can do a walkthrough with them….. honestly the whole dash comes apart in like 15 minutes. I had a small amount of custom work on the mount with a little dremmel but otherwise sooo easy!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts