Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For you folks that have aftermarket aluminum wheels......did you have to buy new lug nuts as well?.......will the Honda lug nuts on the factory 18” aluminum wheels not work with aftermarket aluminum wheels? I’m thinking about American Racing AR907 wheels.

Not sure if the factory lug nut is a 60* acorn/tapered cone seat or a ball seat.

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L FWD
405 Posts
20 years ago I put aftermarket wheels on my (98) V and it required different lug nuts.

Speaking of which, I believe I've still got the originals steel wheels up in my attic.
You pay for shipping and they're yours.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It really depends on the wheels. Each wheel manufacturer has different specs. You have to see the wheels yourself because there's just different styles of lug nuts. Most stock wheels have ball lug nuts, and most aftermarket uses acorn or conical lug nuts. Some even uses conical with a sleeve, and some are even flat washer style.

Make sure when buying wheels, pay attention also on the hub bore. Don't buy a wheel with a smaller hub bore than your car. It can be bigger because you can add hub rings for the space difference. This is to prevent shaking or uneven rotation. The 2017 CRV has a 64mm center hub. The stock wheel nuts from a CRV is a ball seat.

You'll probably end up using aftermarket lugnuts, since most stock wheels uses a 19mm socket and most aftermarket wheels has a smaller lug nut hole, normally for a size 17mm socket.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It really depends on the wheels. Each wheel manufacturer has different specs. You have to see the wheels yourself because there's just different styles of lug nuts. Most stock wheels have ball lug nuts, and most aftermarket uses acorn or conical lug nuts. Some even uses conical with a sleeve, and some are even flat washer style.

Make sure when buying wheels, pay attention also on the hub bore. Don't buy a wheel with a smaller hub bore than your car. It can be bigger because you can add hub rings for the space difference. This is to prevent shaking or uneven rotation. The 2017 CRV has a 64mm center hub. The stock wheel nuts from a CRV is a ball seat.

You'll probably end up using aftermarket lugnuts, since most stock wheels uses a 19mm socket and most aftermarket wheels has a smaller lug nut hole, normally for a size 17mm socket.
Thanks for that great info.? I emailed American Racing, regarding lug nut specs for their AR907 wheel, and they promptly emailed back saying that wheel used 60* acorn seat lug nuts. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wonder what the advantages/disadvantages are for conical vs ball seat lug nuts?

I presume I should carry 5 Honda (ball seat) lug nuts for the spare tire, if I get aftermarket conical seat wheels.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts