Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that this topic started a while ago was closed, so I am starting another one about the same topic.

Yesterday I got my first Black screen with the "DaLauncher isn't responding". After reading about theories of what to do I pushed the screen's power button and held it down for about 30 seconds. I didn't get acknowledgement on the screen that anything changed. It stayed black and after powering down the car and restarting it still had the problem but then starting the car another time it took the screen's system about a minute to boot showing the Honda logo and then it booted up fine and everything is working. I did not lose stations programmed into the FM so I am not aware that holding down the screen's power button has changed anything.

I'm curious what this problem is and if it is something that I need to be concerned about, or even whether Honda knows what the problem is and can fix it. This is 2021 CR-V bought new July 2021. I did not purchase any extended warranties and I am hoping that this is not a big problem of a system failing.

Rectangle Font Electronic device Tree Sky

·
Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
1,236 Posts
I see that this topic started a while ago was closed, so I am starting another one about the same topic.

Yesterday I got my first Black screen with the "DaLauncher isn't responding". After reading about theories of what to do I pushed the screen's power button and held it down for about 30 seconds. I didn't get acknowledgement on the screen that anything changed. It stayed black and after powering down the car and restarting it still had the problem but then starting the car another time it took the screen's system about a minute to boot showing the Honda logo and then it booted up fine and everything is working. I did not lose stations programmed into the FM so I am not aware that holding down the screen's power button has changed anything.

I'm curious what this problem is and if it is something that I need to be concerned about, or even whether Honda knows what the problem is and can fix it. This is 2021 CR-V bought new July 2021. I did not purchase any extended warranties and I am hoping that this is not a big problem of a system failing.

View attachment 152889
I’d certainly mention it the dealer while the car is under warranty and it’s good you have a picture documenting the issue. Holding down the power button performs a “soft reboot” and you should not loose any of your settings.

·
Registered
626 Posts

View attachment 152889
Two other web sites mention this. One said that they hit the wait button and after 10 or 15 minutes, it cleared. The other site said unhook the positive battery cable and wait a minute. Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
4,830 Posts
First, you do not normally lose radio presets on a "soft" reboot, which is what holding down the volume control does.
You may lose them on a hard reboot (pulling power, at the battery or other place), and you may need a security code afterwards.
I agree, get thee to a dealery. It's not doing what your manual says it's supposed to do and it's in warranty.

Reactions: EXcommunicated

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took the 2021 CR-V back to the dealer where it was purchased six months ago. A service guy said he has heard of this and said it is a "glitch" that happens sometimes and blamed it on Android. He said there was nothing they could really do about it. He said it happens when the car is getting an over the air update. But I asked him if he knew of any over the air updates since I had purchased the car in July 2021. He didn't know of any. I think it was kind of BS, but he said it always fixes itself after restarting the car. Which I told him was partially true. When I saw the problem a few days before, and restarted the car it didn't initially fix it, but a few more restarts of the car over a few minutes did get the system back.

At this point I am just going to figure it is something I'll occasionally deal with and hopefully just once in a while.

·
Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
1,236 Posts
I took the 2021 CR-V back to the dealer where it was purchased six months ago. A service guy said he has heard of this and said it is a "glitch" that happens sometimes and blamed it on Android. He said there was nothing they could really do about it. He said it happens when the car is getting an over the air update. But I asked him if he knew of any over the air updates since I had purchased the car in July 2021. He didn't know of any. I think it was kind of BS, but he said it always fixes itself after restarting the car. Which I told him was partially true. When I saw the problem a few days before, and restarted the car it didn't initially fix it, but a few more restarts of the car over a few minutes did get the system back.

At this point I am just going to figure it is something I'll occasionally deal with and hopefully just once in a while.
I think he’s right about it being an Android bug, wrong about OTA updates being the cause.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
8,189 Posts

Some Honda models can get over the air updates (example: current generation Accords). The CRV is NOT one of them currently. Keep in mind, the gen5 design is going on 8 years old now since they began design, and 5 years in production... so by modern vehicle standards, it's getting behind the curve on technology and gadgets.

I'm sure it is coming with the gen6 CRVs though. Software updates generally are applied by dealers on gen5s. Even to update the maps on your NAV system if you have one, requires downloading to a USB using a specific procedure to perform the update.

And yes, this is generally a software glitch of some sort. You know this when a system soft reboot with the power button solves the issue, at least temporarily. And this is where it gets tricky... because there are always bugs in software just waiting for the right conditions (never thought about by the software engineers) to happen that triggers the software to do a nutty. Not much you can do about it. If it becomes chronic then pushing for a warranty action would be appropriate on your part.

These problems can be hard to isolate because if they are based on the driver doing a set of operations with the head unit in a particular sequence is the trigger for a bug... some owners will see an issue, and many will not... simply different use interactions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts