Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'98 CRV Timing belt changed in 8/13. Told by independent mechanic that Honda must've over tightened the bolt when replacing the pulley as it NEVER/EVER should shear off (unless an accident and there wasn't one). The pulley was just banging around inside the car and the belt flopping. Drive belt also got a little chewed up. Honda is saying they don't think it's related to their work I. 2013. Independent mechanic showed me where it literally sheared off at the pulley side. Anyone every had this? Want to be prepared for Honda tomorrow. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Is this the idler pulley for the a/c compressor? It's hard to say who is to blame sometimes its just the fastener dies. You are saying that Honda replaced the pulley when they did the timing belt? Whoever replaced the timing belt before will need to remove this pulley to access the timing belt. When replacing the new bolt be sure to ask the person who is replacing the bolt to put some anti-seize onto the threads. Let me know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The pulley for the air conditioning belt is off. Per the independent mechanic, and what I saw in the mirror, there are no markings or scratches - he said it sheared off. Leaving the pulley attached to the belt and just flapping about under the hood. My son in law was driving it at time so pulled over and called AAA. AAA rep pulled pulley from under hood, left belt, and told him it was ok to drive but ac wasn't working.

I told independent mechanic I had timing belt changed in 8/13 (as well as the radiator, etc) and he said that would've done it. The bolt had to have been overtightened when they put the pieces back together. Besides spark plugs, tires and oil changes, no other work has been done.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts