Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes my CRV will shudder badly at idle, if I turn off the AC it stops, if I turn it on again it shudders again. It doesn't do it all the time but is becoming more frequent. I suspect it is the clutch on the AC pump. The AC still works and blows cold air. Is this the AC clutch going bad? Is it external and I can replace it myself? Or is it internal to the AC pump.
Anyone else ever had this problem? My CRV has 130,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
'98 EX AWD
323 Posts
Could be a misfire at idle with the AC compressor adding more load to the engine. When's the last time the compressor had oil added? I would imagine if the clutch is going bad, it would blow warmer because the pulley would be spinning much faster at speed compared to idle, giving the electro-magnetic clutch a much harder time to engage, which means the compressor wouldn't cycle. Usually when the clutches go, they go.

Try pulling a plug wire (or injector connector) to determine if it's a misfire instead.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know its not a misfire because it only happens when the AC is on although I do know I need to adjust the valves because I am getting misfire codes. I don't know when or if compressor oil has ever been added.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did adjust my valves and all the exhaust valves were tight and number 4 was especially tight. I am still driving and testing to see if it is fixed and it appears to be. Shout out to @CRnotVtec for suggesting it could be a misfire exaggeration at idle due to the AC load on the engine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts