Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought my 2003 CRV in April 2009. It runs well, only has 103 000 kilometers on it, and needed the basic stuff, tires, tune up, brakes.

Also, the air con did not work, and the last owner and my mechanic assumed it was something minor, not the compressor, due to the cars low kilometers.

After checking it again, and getting a second opinion I need to replace the compressor and drier.

Has anybody had any luck with third party compressors, or cheaper rebuilds?

This site sells cheaper than Honda new compressors.

http://www.a-aironline.com/detail.aspx?ID=2138

I can take the car to Burlington Vermont as ~I am in Montreal if there are cheaper USA options.

At the moment I am looking at between $1000- $1500 CDN. 900-1300 USA.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
WITHOUT EXAMINING THE BRAND AND QUALITY, I NOTICED CRV CPMRESSOR IS BEING SOLD ON EBAY FOR VERY LOW PRICE OF $160, BRAND NEW - THIS SEEMS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, BUT, IT IS WORTH EXAMINING IT.
a.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Here is a very good company located out of Texas Techchoiceparts.com I've had a great experience with their compressor's. Their prices are very fair.

Good luck

·
Registered
196 Posts
If that's the case of 2002-2003 CR-V catastrophic compressor failure, then depending on the contamination you may need to replace a bit more than compressor / drier.
As I remember, Honda has 3 different version of the A/C rebuild kits based on the contamination levels. There was a TSB about that issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Solution

In the end it was the compressor, and I can not remember fi the drier was also changed, but i think it was. I had my mechanic look around a bit and he found a compressor for about $600. It came up to $950 with new air filter, plugs and oil change.

Nearest estimate I had was form Speedy Muffler, or some similar shop for about 1200. Honda woudl have been more I assume.

·
Registered
196 Posts
In the end it was the compressor, and I can not remember fi the drier was also changed, but i think it was. I had my mechanic look around a bit and he found a compressor for about $600. It came up to $950 with new air filter, plugs and oil change.
Nearest estimate I had was form Speedy Muffler, or some similar shop for about 1200. Honda woudl have been more I assume.
The A/C compressor for 2003 cr-v is about $400 at the Honda parts store.
But as I mentioned before, replacing just the compressor is not really a correct way of doing it. When the compressor fails, it sends metal shards thru the entire A/C system, some get trapped in the drier, some get dislodged in the hoses, condenser, etc. Based on how far these metal shards get, you may need to replace a lot more than just the compressor and the drier. Otherwise the new compressor will fail pretty quickly because of the contamination.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts