Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My a/c has just packed up and blowing warm air to me.
Had the gas checked and topped up to correct level/amount. Still not working.
I can hear a clicking noise next to the compressor when the a/c is switched on/off. Does this mean the compressor is working?
I know there was a service bulletin on the petrol models.
I am new to this club so apologies if topic has already been spoken of.
Any comments greatly accepted before I go further with this, at a possible great expense:-/

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,451 Posts
If the compressor is the same one used on petrol CR-Vs, the clutch may have failed.

A better test (rather than just listening for the CLICK) is to see if the compressor actually TURNS when the clutch is actuated. (Look at the center of the pulley.)

The issue was, the clutch gap got so wide, it couldn't 'hold' the compressor engaged. There are specs for the gap on the Internets...

·
Registered
89 Posts
On 'you tube' you can adjust the gap by watching the video without the expence of the clutch or the compressor motor for
any car with A/C.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Clicking noise could be lots of things.
What test equipment do you have available?
Who checked and topped off freon? That was done without system running?

·
Registered
89 Posts
The clicking is the clutch closing and opening,because the gap is greater than it should be due to wear.The wear
can be reduced with washers.Then the ccmpressor will be driven,you will be able to see this because the clutch will be spinning,it may still not work and need a can of 134b for the low pressure side,but it will have a much better chance of working if the clutch is doing it's job.You can watch all this on 'you tube' the richest source
of information for any car.We can all look forward to Tesla's car that should have been here in the 1920's if not
for vested interest in oil.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Lots of things can be clicking other than the AC clutch. That hadn't been verified yet that I knew.
YouTube can be good and bad. Their is no screening of content posted to my knowledge.

Just because it is on the internet, doesn't mean it is correct

1 - 12 of 12 Posts