Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone notice this? The season is getting warmer and I recently started to use the fan and ac more because it is more efficient to use ac and fan then to open a window at high speeds due to drag and resistance.

Anyways for the past week or so when I had the radio off, while taking somewhat sharp left turns at speeds. (Small S curves) Every time the CRV leans when cornering left, if you have the fan or ac on somewhere between 1/4 to 1/3 on as soon as your nose tilt downwards making a left it sounds like all the air starts moving to one side and you a burst of wind noise coming from one side. Like you have the fan on full blast.. This only happens while making a left turn. If you make a right turn or a sharp right nothing happens, everything is normal this only happens on left turns..

I thought at first me leaning my ears might be leaning towards the center vents so I did a test with air blowing on the floor only and it did the same exact thing. Is there air or hidden vents somewhere in the center besides the 2 I should know about.

Didn't notice it in the winter with the heat on, only in the summer with the fan or a/c on. This sudden burst of air is driving me crazy as I don't know if all the air is actually moving to one side or if the system is sending a burst of air into the system. Trying to find out why it is doing this

·
Registered
703 Posts
Could be a gravity/inertia thing, with the way air flows through the vents, a turn one direction would likely have more an effect on air-flow than in the opposite direction. Since the blower is located on the right side of the vehicle, a hard left may be enough to change the easiest flow of air out of the vents. Another possibility could be gravity shifting the air louvers at the registers, or even an air deflector internally that changes what vents get air (top/floor/defrost etc). With the air above 1/2, I wouldn't expect this to be as much of a problem because the blower is operating at higher force/velocity. All that theorized, I've never noticed that in my 2007 CR-V.

·
Registered
703 Posts
One way you could test the air/inertia theory is to only have the middle-top vents open, close both side vents, and see if the sound changes much or if any.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Good theory, strange situation nevertheless...

To test this, you could use Mike's ideas above, but maybe attach little streamers to the vents. They will obviously show more or less air flow.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like to provide an update.

After going to pick someone up this afternoon. I stopped at the empty section of the parking lot and decided to do a left turn in a circle, before he comes out This is what I noticed

1. While making a hard left the fans does sound like it is going full blast however no extra air is entering the system

2. There is a huge splash of water sound, blower motor sloshing in water?
2a. There is no water on the passenger floor.

3. Only happens with left hand turns only, with sudden right hand turn there is no sound changes and you do not hear water sloshing around.

4. The A/C vents started smoking... On Fathers day I was very disappointed with the a/c system. It was cool but it wasn't "cold" This time around the CRV was freezing and it was 80(f) outside when I had the a/c running on the coolest setting no recirculation and only at 1/4 speed.

The front center vents started smoking.. It only smoked after the left hand turn, the rest of the time it was fine no smoke. The higher the RPM the more it smoked. It was smoking like this video of someone elses vhiecle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdaFVhXx4M4

There is no smell from the vents, I assume it is just water or moisture coming from somewhere or can't go anywhere? I find it odd that it started smoking 1 hour later after driving and doing the circles going left.

5. When I got home, I turned off the ac and turned the fan onto full blast to "dry" the system. The vents started to accumulate with water. After touching them you can feel water building up on your hands Of course being a humid day opening the window and doors won't help. I let it run for a few minutes then shut it off. I also looked at the bottom of the CRV and see a lot of water pouring out which is normal.. But I wonder if the humidity was to much for it? The air was getting warm from drawing outside air but I don't think it was drying the system?

I can't say I ever had an a/c system do that before... I can't tell if this will be a big problem or you can ignore it.. The pros is I didn't think 134a can get this cold.. The cons is I have to deal with white smoking vents like a freezer when you open the door and to make sure that the water is drained properly...

Does anyone elses CRV smoke on a hot day with the coldest setting and having it on constantly.. I did not hit max ac... No econ mode...

I don't want to take it to the dealer if there is something I can check or test out.. Tomorrow is suppose to be cooler and I will see if it will do the same thing again.. If it continues to smoke I might have to take it in when the oil change is due.. in about 800 miles or so..

·
Registered
703 Posts
On humid days, run the AC on recirculate instead of fresh air intake. That will limit the amount of water freezing/condensing into the transfer box. It does sound like water is accumulating in the fan compartment and then on left turns, actually hitting the fan blades and causing the noise you're hearing. The smoke is more than likely just water mist kicked up by the fan, or even water vapor from evaporation. My house AC froze up yesterday and blocked most of the air from moving through the vents. Had to let it defrost lol. Such is the way of A.C. ;) The only thing you should perhaps ask the dealer about is whether it is normal for water to accumulate into the fan box/compartment. Otherwise it sounds like another day in humid weather with the AC running on high.

·
Banned
217 Posts
Maybe I could chime in my two cents. I would check two areas on the vehicle. After purchase of my first V last month, I've noticed a puddle of water in the passenger footwell while sitting in rainy days. I read up the forums and found that the rain gutter underneath the cowl trim tends to get clogged with debris. As I suspected the gutters were indeed caked in grimy soil like debris. One of the solutions were to bend the inlet plate for outside (which happens to be on the right side) air inwards towards the firewall. Everyone that has a first gen V learns that quick, so with the clock solder fix... I siliconed up the track to the cowl trim and no more water leak from cowl to blower motor in the passenger side. Now back to your V, could it possibly be a outside leak in to that blower motor area like the first gen Vs? That would make sense why when you make a left turn, water might be passing over the gutters in to the blower motor area. Recirc closes the duct box, while opening vent could allowing passage of water? Check seals that would lead up to the blower motor outside inlet.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm, I am starting to believe something is clogged somewhere...

Today I tried to use recirculate more often instead of constantly pulling fresh air, the results were still a problem while turning left with the fan motor going crazy.. However no water gargling sound.

I almost forgot again, but I did check the carpets up front and..... They were wet... not soaked but very wet... I have walmart $5.00 rubber floor mats on top of the factory floor mats. The top of the rubber matt was dry however when I peeled back and felt the carpet underneath it... Soaked with water.... I lifted that carpet up to see if water is underneath as the CRV has floor carpets and then the padding underneath.. starting to get there as I see water spots but it hasn't actually soaked the bottom layer of the carpet yet... Had to wipe them down and dry them the best I can on this rainy day.. ( turned on the ac switch to full heat.. aimed to floor only and turned on full blast)

This is happening on BOTH sides of the front driver and passenger. I opened the hood and looked through the top and the rubber drain and it is cleared, I checked the bottom of the CRV and I see water pouring out like crazy.. The next step is to take out the glove box and inspect the air filter...

Either the system is accumulating to much moisture, or the system is partially clogged somewhere and it can't drain out fast enough.... I forgot to check the rear seats to see if they are ok, but tomorrow I should be able to see after running the system for 2 hours with my commute. :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Glad (or sad) to see that I am in the same boat as Grafarian... My 2012 EXL's carpets are soaked and am hearing grinding gurgling on hard left turns. I have yet to really dig around, but have noticed that typical of most cars with AC running, my V has a steady drip of water condensate puddle up under my car when the system is running. At one point I could see water running down the firewall on teh passenger side footwell, so it's definitely coming from that area. Very disappointed.

Did you make any progress on fixing your issue?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.