Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Honda CR-V EX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I could not find exactly the answers I needed for this so I am making this post.

I just acquired a 2009 CR-V EX and my husband and I want to camp sleeping in our CR-V (I take astrophotography!).

I am 5'4 and he is 5'8, both pretty skinny!
We want to know if it is possible at all to put an inflatable mattress at the back of the car.
If so what size? What model?
Any advice?

Thank you all!

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Additionally, if you find the less-than-level/flat surface irritating, you can always add some cut-to fit foam pads under the mattress to even it out. Thick or thin, they can be rolled up for storage. You can also find a wealth of ideas over on our Honda Element sister site. A lot more Element owners are campers. There are also about 576 bazillion YouTube videos for Element camping. Tons of great ideas that can be adapted for use with a CR-V too.

·
Registered
2009 CRV
137 Posts
I would think the issue would be the depth as the seats do not lay flat but only fold up on against the front seats on the 2009 model.

·
Registered
2009 CRV
137 Posts
If you don't have the power driver's seat, it can fold flat. So can the passenger seat. See the owner's manual.
Ahh I see, lay the front seats into the back seats and have the mattress up there. Got you.

I was thinking folding up the rear seats and putting it into the trunk area

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
The rear of a 2009 is too small to sleep in, unless you don't like stretching out completely (which I cannot do). I just measured the rear today and if I take the rear seats out, I can just fit a 62" long box in the rear and it would butt up right against the backs of the front seats. Leaving the rear seats in but folded forward, I lose about 8" in depth. (I possibly have to drive out to the east coast to pick up a pair of items in boxes that are 62" long, 17" wide and 24" deep...I can fit both boxes in if they are resting on their smallest side, 17" x 2 and that 34" width leaves me only an inch or two per side at the narrowest spot.)

At most, the area back there is 38" wide at its narrowest point.

I did try flattening out the passenger's seat but it is very uncomfortable. Plus, you risk breaking the seat back of the front seat, as there is only a pair of small gears that hold it in place. Lean on it the wrong way and the gears will snap, or the seat back could deform (bend) from the weight...skinny or not!

The CR-V could tow one of those small "teardrop" campers though--that would be ideal! It's well within the tow rating.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A twin air mattress is the biggest that will fit just removing the rear seats. With a platform you could fit a full size mattress. I sleep on a single mattress and leave the jumper seat in. 20200304_184504[1].jpg

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Hello all! I could not find exactly the answers I needed for this so I am making this post.

I just acquired a 2009 CR-V EX and my husband and I want to camp sleeping in our CR-V (I take astrophotography!).

We want to know if it is possible at all to put an inflatable mattress at the back of the car.
If so what size? What model?
Any advice?

Thank you all!
Walmart sells the Intex brand of inflatable mattresses.......try the twin bed size 1st, keep the receipt if you want to exchange for the next size up. Seats folded on our V gives yields a 42”X72” flat floor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts