Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my letter from Honda Motors informing me that my car is subject to recall of the drivers airbag. I assume this is related to the existing recall, but apparently now it applies to my CR-V, which was made in December 1997.

My only thought on the matter is uuuggghhh...

I am a bit disappointed, but I also respect Honda a lot for taking the responsibility to repair our cars at their expense, even if NHTSA is requiring them to do so. My car is now 22 years old with over 200k. If the airbag went off and killed me, I'm sure only a few people would question it if Honda said the cause was that my car had exceeded its expected service life, even though many Honda owners would correctly lead us to believe that it would drive for at least double that.

The letter says they do not have the parts to repair my car at this time, but that I will receive a second notice when parts become available.

Given the age of my car, I wouldn't think it's likely that they would make new parts for my car, except for a couple of things. 1, first generation CR-Vs were, and are still, very popular, and most of them (I believe) are still in service. There are a lot of these out there, that would all be a danger if the defect is as dangerous as they say and it doesn't get repaired. 2, the fact that they sent me the first notice implies that they will make good on it and be able to fix my car in the not-too-distant future, especially since it is very difficult to sell a car with open recalls.

I will be waiting on my second notice, and to bring my car in for repairs. I will also update you all if or when the situation changes.

Drive safely everybody! Now, more than ever, we don't want those airbags to be needed!

·
Premium Member
2010 EX-L (AWD, non-Nav)
565 Posts
You may be getting more than one notice in the next year or so. My '07 Accord had to have the airbomb inflators replaced four times - 2x each for the passenger and driver.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Boiler Man:

IIRC the only incidents of Takata inflaters going off unexpectedly were in very humid and very high temperature areas (costal FL and LA).

Unless you are in one of these areas I would not be concerned.

·
Registered
1996 RD1 Crv JDM spec
7 Posts
The concern isn't around inflators discharging randomly, its the casings corroding. When the airbag goes off this corrosion causes the inflator to fragment discharging shrapnel. Humidity accelerates this process but its happening in dry climates aswell. The "fix" is basically a direct replacement inflator in most cases there is no change to the inflator or materials its made from. Its a recall that extends the current recall another 6 years, a temporary fix lol.
As far as parts being made for older cars go, the steering wheel center section or dash insert (made by honda) are not being replaced, just the inflators(takata). Alot of car manufacturers use the same size and style of inflator so its not honda mazda Toyota etc making new parts. Just re using old inflators from takata.

·
Premium Member
2010 EX-L (AWD, non-Nav)
565 Posts
When my car (07 Accord) went in for the first two (of four) airbag recalls, the inflator was replaced with the same defective design. The second two recalls, the inflator was of a totally different design.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I haven't received any notice for my '97. Not that it is driveable anymore, but I would still probably get it fixed if I sell it. I'll need to check the VIN in Honda's database.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got my letter from Honda Motors informing me that my car is subject to recall of the drivers airbag. I assume this is related to the existing recall, but apparently now it applies to my CR-V, which was made in December 1997.

I am a bit disappointed, but I also respect Honda a lot for taking the responsibility to repair our cars at their expense, even if NHTSA is requiring them to do so. My car is now 22 years old with over 200k. If the airbag went off and killed me, I'm sure only a few people would question it if Honda said the cause was that my car had exceeded its expected service life, even though many Honda owners would correctly lead us to believe that it would drive for at least double that.

The letter says they do not have the parts to repair my car at this time, but that I will receive a second notice when parts become available.

Given the age of my car, I wouldn't think it's likely that they would make new parts for my car, except for a couple of things. 1, first generation CR-Vs were, and are still, very popular, and most of them (I believe) are still in service. There are a lot of these out there, that would all be a danger if the defect is as dangerous as they say and it doesn't get repaired. 2, the fact that they sent me the first notice implies that they will make good on it and be able to fix my car in the not-too-distant future, especially since it is very difficult to sell a car with open recalls.

I will be waiting on my second notice, and to bring my car in for repairs. I will also update you all if or when the situation changes.

Drive safely everybody! Now, more than ever, we don't want those airbags to be needed!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Lochinvar - did you receive a subsequent follow up from Honda indicating that they will replace the airbags?

I too received a recall notice on my ‘98 Honda CRV in mid Feb this year. However, in Australia, Honda is not a offering a reprieve for the original CRV .....they say the parts to replace the Takata NADI airbags are not available and the only avenue available is Honda offering to buy back our CRV for the average resale value of the car, which is much less than what wevhave invested in the last year to maintain the CRV in top condition .... incl regular, prescribed honda services thru its entire 22 year life at the Honda’s service departments and replacing critical components as recommended by the Honda Service folk.

Honda has offered a valuation by a third party engaged by Honda. Honda did assert that if the valuation did come out lower than their original offer, then the buyback would be at the lower price! The 3rd party valuer has not as yet responded to my inquiry re: theIr approach and method to valuing the CRV based on its condition. The local Road transport authority indicated that if Honda de-activates the airbags, removes them and certifies it is a safe car to drive, I will be able to continue maintains its registration. There are several pre-airbag cars on the road over here, including an original model of the Honda Civic!

Our CRV has been very reliable during its entire 22 years and provides a roomy And comfortable ride, such a 2,000km return trips to the north and south of Western Australia, even as late as late January this year. It is a well designed car that provides the performance required on long drives. It has only done 150,000kms to date, as we have always lived close to our work. Replacing this vehicle with one of equivalent qui=alty and features (incl the real time 4 wheel drive) will cost a lot more than Honda’s buy back offer.

In these days when sustainability and environmental considerations are paramount, it is a pity that these very reliable cars are to be junked, just because a fault airbag cannot be placed or removed.

Any relevant suggestions and information from this forum will be most welcome

·
Registered
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have not gotten the second letter yet. Given your options, I would suggest just having Honda disable the airbag, or having an electrician do it for you (so the control module thinks the airbag is still working), and then not worrying about it.

My car is way too important to me to want to give it up over an airbag (especially since, like you, I have invested way more in the car than its market value), also because I could theoretically just disconnect the airbag and have the car be as safe to drive as my older car that never had airbags.

·
Premium Member
2010 EX-L (AWD, non-Nav)
565 Posts
Maybe look in to an 'airbag service tool', which is nothing more than a resistor inside a plug that connects to the vehicle-side of the airbag circuit. This fools the computer in to thinking an airbag is attached, when it isn't. On a Ford I had almost 20 years ago, this tool was a 2-ohm resistor.

·
Registered
1997 AWD CR-V
92 Posts
I just picked up my 97 a few weeks ago and when I checked the vin I saw the flag em for the recall. I did not see an offer to have the car evaluated for purchase.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Responding to recalls is voluntary in the US, AFAIK. They will not offer to buy your car back. It will simply be harder to sell if a smart buyer checks for open recalls.

·
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,671 Posts
Responding to recalls is voluntary in the US, AFAIK. They will not offer to buy your car back. It will simply be harder to sell if a smart buyer checks for open recalls.
I can't imagine why a buyer would be concerned, as they can just get it done themselves. So no, not a problem. Records kept on these are by VIN number.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As a buyer, I consider open recalls to be a black mark on the previous owner's service history. If it's free to fix and they didn't bother, what else did they not bother fixing that I would have to deal with if I bought their car?

This recall is an obvious exception, of course, until/unless parts become available.

·
Premium Member
2010 EX-L (AWD, non-Nav)
565 Posts
I wouldn't look at it that way. Recalls are sent to the owner's address, and that database may or may not be accurate. Most car owners don't know they can check for recalls online for free, so they wait for a letter in the mail. If the car hasn't been brought in to any dealer's service dep't, then the mfgr doesn't have much to go on.

·
Registered
2000 LX 5spd awd
430 Posts

Service bulletin released call your dealership. You will probably need 2 visits 1 for inspection and then return fir the replacement.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Should I just call saying what my car is and that it's related to a recall, or do I need more info?

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,569 Posts
Should I just call saying what my car is and that it's related to a recall, or do I need more info?
if the dealer doesn't know your vehicle, have the vin number handy. Every box of replacement parts the dealer orders is specific to your vehicle. That allows Honda to maintain accurate records of the parts that go into every vehicle.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts