Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi . I've just bought a Honda CRV and I don't believe that the alarm works. I've checked some earlier posts which have not helped. Someone even said that the blinking red light on the dash is for the radio. Yeah right, it's to people who look into your car when it's locked know you have a radio because it's so hard to see. Hideous. More to the point, the manual states that the particular blinking red light means the alarm is active. However, I can't make it go off. Someone said if you unlock the door with your key whist the alarm is active, it will go off. And nope, I waited longer than 10 seconds before trying that so that's not the problem. Any ideas? Anyone.
PS the car is still under warranty but I'd much rather not have to bother with that.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
That blinking red light specifically indicates that the radio theft deterrent alarm is on when the car is locked up. Your CR-V did not come with a car alarm system, it's not an available factory option. If you'd like to have an alarm system, that will be an aftermarket thing. The radio anti-theft system cannot be disabled, so there is no way to be rid of that red blinking light, unless you install an aftermarket head unit. Also part of that system, if you disconnect the battery, you will need to re-enter the radio's digital code to re-enable it, otherwise the radio cannot be used. There should be a card with that code on it attached to your owner's manual - that's where mine is. It's a fairly effective thing, as experienced thieves know not to steal your radio, because without that code the radio can never be made to work. If you don't have the code, you will have to get it from a Honda dealer to make it work, after you re-connect the battery.

All this information is in your owner's manual (Page 205).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks kioker. Thanks for the reply. However I don't have this information (card) on page 205, and after thoroughly searching, have found nothing about this, only that cuttings wires to the sound system will set off the alarm.
15696579899201477157267.jpg

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Interesting! Okay, first things first. You did not specify, so: What is the model year and trim level of your car, and which head unit do you have? LX is basic, EX and EX-L have the mid-range unit or the EX-L can have the Navigation unit. That said, I don't have my printed owner's manual handy, as it's in the car. For handy reference, I have a downloaded one on my computer. You can download it here: http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/OM/9B0707/9B0707OM.PDF That one is for the 2007. Google for the ones for other Gen3 years.

Note that at the top of page 207 it says "if equipped." I tried to learn more about the system on 207 but all I could find out was that it seems this was not available on my EX-L with the mid-range head unit. Not sure but it may be that on the '07 it only came with the Nav unit, or not at all until '08 or later (just as the power driver seat). Mine does not seem to have it. It does have the other part, as described on 205. All 3 head units have this feature.

As far as the radio code, I understand that, in some cars, the code is on a sticker on the inside of the glove box door. If you don't have that code, then, the first time you disconnect your battery, you will have to pull the radio out of the dash and write down the radio's serial number, which is on a sticker on the radio. Then put the radio back in, and call your dealer to get the radio code. There may be a charge for this.

Otherwise, as far as an alarm system goes, I don't believe any CR-V's are equipped with a full tilt one. The one mentioned is, as I understand it, a lightweight one with little effectiveness. A real, effective one would be an aftermarket install + $$$. Hope this helps. Maybe someone will come along with more info than I know.

Oh, yeah, one other thing: When I leave the car, I press the key fob's lock button once to lock it, and a second time to set the security system. On the second press, the car chirps. Another odd thing I've noticed, is that, when I come up to the car and it's locked and I want to open the tailgate first, or a back door, I have to press the unlock button twice. Don't have to do this when just opening the driver's door - one press opens it. Seems weird to me, but I'm used to it now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts