Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My independent mechanic replaced the starter today in my 2007 EX. This is the 2nd replacement by him since the 1st one failed in a month.
I noticed the following problems after picking up the car:

Radio does not work. It does not ask for the code.
The doors will not open once the engine is off. I have to open the door prior to shutting off the car or I can't get out.
Alarm system can not be set.
Doors can not be locked via the remote.
Lights are out below the radio where you set the temperature, etc.
The tach operates very odd when I start the car.

He started to say I brought in the car with these problems which is not true. He backed off from insisting on that.

On replacement of the starter he said he disconnected the negative from the battery and used a Keep Alive device to hold the settings in my radio.

Does anyone have a clue what might have happened ?
I believe that a computer board might have been shorted out.

Thanks in advance for your assistance !

~Howard

·
Registered
252 Posts
I believe the common point for most if not all of those issues is the MCU (Multiplex Control Unit) logic board that is attached to the back side of the below dash fuse box. It has a few chips and relays that control most of the automated functions and also communicates with the dash panel. The 'keep alive' device should not have caused any problems, but certainly it is possible to damage the vehicle electronics if it somehow overpowered the system. Perhaps someone else will have some thoughts, but the only thing that comes to mind is to swap the MCU board and see if it resolves the problems. It's a bit of a job because the fuse box is in a tight space. Someone on this forum recently located a used board from a salvage yard for just a few bucks when they had problems. As for proving your mechanic caused the damage, I'd say that if he acknowledges the car was operating correctly when it came in then it's pretty much something that he did.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Check all the fuses first. There is probably a fuse box under the hood and another in the dash somewhere.

I have also seen a lot of odd electrical issues that were fixed by disconnecting the battery for a little bit. In addition to disconnecting the battery some people say after both cables are removed from the battery take the positive and negative cables and touch them together to completely discharge any capacitors in the system. Remember if you are shorting 2 cables together to never have a battery in the circuit though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts