Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter September's CR-V of the month Challenge HERE
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2019 CRV 1.5L Turbo AWD EX-L CVT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really interested in owner advice on the frequency alignments are needed for the 4WD version? On other non 4WD cars I have only done them "as needed" but it seems scheduled frequency is the right answer for the CRV. Non-dealer (upsell?) advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2014 CRV AWD (my wife's baby)
308 Posts
For my wife's CRV baby, its tire alignment is:
  • with new set of tires (always)
  • when it pulls to either road side
  • every 'other' year (even if NOT felt like needed).

Alignment is only a few minor dollars compared to full set of tires. Or, bad slip/slide accident on ice roads..

This works for me....

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
14,182 Posts
Often, the tires will 'feather' if the alignment is out. (Feel rougher when stroked more in one direction than the other)
This leads to noise complaints as the tires get older.

ALL THREE of our local Honda dealers offer good alignment prices as 'Service Specials'.

·
Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
9,947 Posts
I only do wheel alignments when/if I notice uneven tread wear or odd steering behaviors. Honestly, I think in 20 years of driving CRVs, I have only required alignments a couple of times. CRVS are pretty robust in this regard in my experience, as long as you don't go curb hopping or speed bump hunting at speed.

My dealer.. well my dealer offers to align the wheels every time I bring my vehicle if for an oil service. I politely decline and we move forward. When I get my inspection report from the oil service... lo and behold.. the treadwear checks always come back green status.

·
Registered
2019 CRV 1.5L Turbo AWD EX-L CVT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I only do wheel alignments when/if I notice uneven tread wear or odd steering behaviors. Honestly, I think in 20 years of driving CRVs, I have only required alignments a couple of times. CRVS are pretty robust in this regard in my experience, as long as you don't go curb hopping or speed bump hunting at speed.

My dealer.. well my dealer offers to align the wheels every time I bring my vehicle if for an oil service. I politely decline and we move forward. When I get my inspection report from the oil service... lo and behold.. the treadwear checks always come back green status.
Thanks VERY much--was just looking for some reassurance. That is exactly how I would intend to approach this but have never had a 4WD vehicle before. Last alignment was at time of new tires so that is fine but doing every YEAR or 15k seems excessive to me. Did let them ding me for air and pollen filters but won't let that happen again--super Youtube easy. :)

·
Registered
2019 Honda CR-V LX AWD 2.4L
340 Posts
The filters are EXTREMELY easy, especially the cabin filter behind the glove box. You have an engine air filter that requires a screw driver to access it, but on the base model, it's even easier with traditional clips.

As for alignment, it's something that can affect people afflicted with OCD and it can become kind of an obsession, but I generally agree with williamsji. If there's a reason to do an alignment, you should do it. Otherwise, just leave it alone. For most vehicles under most circumstances, doing an alignment every time a new set of four tires is installed is plenty sufficient, with one caveat. The ubiquity of alloy wheels has changed the way a lot of people react to hitting medium to large pot holes. If I hit something on the road that would cause a traditional wheel cover on a steel wheel to fly off, I assume my alignment is knocked out of spec. Since nothing goes flying off an alloy wheel, it's possible to hit a major obstacle and write it off as inconsequential when it might actually be significant. But in the everyday course of normal driving, little bumps don't do much harm at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts