Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am attempting to install a hard wired dash cam in my son's 2009 CRV EX-L and it seems that all of the under dash fuse locations are "on" with the ignition off. I state this as the camera stays on after the ignition is switched off. The CRV does have a OEM remote start installed, so perhaps that is an issue? We are stationed in Germany, so the remote start is technically verboten under German law and we never really use it anyway.

I had the camera installed in a previous vehicle and it switched power normally with a hardwire set up to the fuse box. In looking at the fuse diagram, attempts at multiple switched fuse sites result in it always getting power.

The camera has been left powered up for multiple hours while parked a few times and it did not seem to affect starting or performance, but I thought that it may not be a good idea to have it receive constant power in the long run. The camera is usually powered down manually when parked, although the unit is tucked up behind the review mirror, so this step is forgotten a times.

Any thoughts on how to make this work? If the remote start is an issue, can I disable it to get "normal" functionality back to the fuse box? TIA.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
The auxiliary jacks are powered only with ignition on. I cannot discover where the fuse is but the relays for all three are together on the end of a cable behind the dash about even with the steering wheel just left of the center console. Remove a lower dash panel and it looks like the three and the cable comes out. Splice into one of them? 15 Amp fused. Or, if you do not use one remove the relay and stick a spade lug into the input power to the relay?

·
Administrator
3,408 Posts
Is that a US spec CRV that the military transported for him or locally purchased? Every car I've worked on has switched and non switched power sources. The latter being rarer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, should have specified....it is a US spec vehicle that we transported over here.

I can certainly check the relays as well. Despite what the manual says, every fuse location at the driver's side footwell appears to power the camera with the ignition off in our CRV. I am not sure if this is due to having a remote start installed? Another "side effect" of the remote start is that the CRV can be started without depressing the brake pedal (not a big deal), so there appears to be a precedent for certain things being altered by the remote start being present.

In the past install, I just used ad add-a-fuse blade connector to power the camera at the fuse box.

As an aside, I do see a handful of Euro spec CRVs over here and their projector headlights on this body style do make me think about an upgrade....

·
Administrator
3,408 Posts
The starter interlock has been disabled. That's dangerous and suggests that some funky electrical surgery to your CRV has occurred.
Euro headlights are imho better than their US equivalent. The light beam is better controlled and more focused.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Since when does gen 3 have push button start? Using a key the brake pedal is not required in any US vehicle. Brake pedal being pressed is only for those with push button start.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe that the brake pedal interlock is disabled to allow the remote start to function? My former 2017 Toyota Tundra could be started without depressing the brake pedal from the factory. To confirm, this 2009 CRV has no push button start, of course.

I wonder if the install of the remote start altered the fuse box in some manner? The remote has a Honda emblem on it and the previous owner had a few dealer installed accessories added ( running boards, fog lamps, rear roof spoiler). I will see if I have the manual for the remote start as it perhaps may shed some light.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts