Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
441 - 460 of 591 Posts

· The. Admin. Istrator.
11,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #441 ·
Thanks! The website I found said don't floor it, which is my MO. So I started getting worried I was going to destroy the poor thing in a week.
Utter nonsense - the Hybrid transmissions have been flawless.

Ditto Honda's traditional CVT's.

We (the UK) had the CR-V Hybrid almost over a year before the US did - I have not come across ANY Hybrid transmission failures - on either side of the pond.

· Registered
2020 CR-V hybrid Executive trim Premium Chrystal Red Metallic
47 Posts

We (the UK) had the CR-V Hybrid almost over a year before the US did - I have not come across ANY Hybrid transmission failures - on either side of the pond.
The cars sold in the Netherlands are equally good. Mind you, 'ours' are built in Japan.

About the next generation... A quick talk with the sales rep of the local Honda dealer (the biggest in the country) learns that the new model will be introduced somewhere in May/June 2023. But... the sales rep is not positive about the time between ordering one and having the car in front of your house. Production time for the latest model Civic is 11(!!!!) months, the HR-V's production time is a little less...

Having said that: there's a used car shortage. The value of our current car (when p/ex for a new, current model) is the same as what we paid 2.5 yrs ago.

· Registered
2023 CR-V Sport Touring (Hybrid)
5 Posts
Need to try other dealers…I placed a deposit last month, and that dealership specifically said they do not markup.
I live in the DMV (Washington DC area) as well and did a lot of research. Turns out I only found one dealership in the area NOT doing the Adjusted Market Value crap. Most are forcing you to pay thousands just for the "privilege" of being the first kid on the block with the 2023 CR-V! This dealership does add in the dent and protection plans (which come out to ~$1,200) but I figure you are at least getting a tangible product/service. And be aware of dealerships also doing the non refundable deposit, DONT DO IT. It's a sneaky tactic to lock you in as if you walk, you lose it! The car is very popular in this area and will sell itself so its not like if you change your mind, it will just sit there indefinitely.

So the dealership is called AutoNation of Dulles (Sterling, VA). My wife and I were extremely pleased with their customer service as well (as that too strongly factors into our decision). As for one's to AVOID at all cost: LandMark Honda in Alexandria! My wife and I had a very bad customer service experience (their management didn't give us the time of day and would not even bulge to negotiate!). Which is unusual because most Honda dealerships in this area have decent (at worse) to good customer service experiences. Our salesperson was actual nice and tried to be helpful but her hands were tied. We found out she ended up quitting a week later because of their toxic environment.

Bottom line, you want to look at the buying experience wholistically and get what you feel is most important out of it to get the best value. But don't settle on the first place you go and shop around, deals are to be had. We also discovered another dealership a bit further away (in Richmond, VA area) called Colonial and they too do not do the markup. If you are going to save thousands and get value, it might be worth the trip. Also, don't let anyone fool you by stating we are throwing in free maintenance for two years - Honda USA corp. is offering this for every new 2023 CR-V!

· Registered
2023 CR-V Sport Touring
183 Posts
Having said that: there's a used car shortage. The value of our current car (when p/ex for a new, current model) is the same as what we paid 2.5 yrs ago.
I lucked into an HRV on the lot in May when I wanted to buy a second car. Paid 30,500 for it. It was totaled 3 weeks ago, the insurance company offered me 32,000 for it. So yes, the used car market is a mess right now. I guess good for me, I have extra money going towards my CRV when it arrives.

Oh, when I was buying the HRV they offered me 35,000 for my five year old Ridgeline I only paid 38,000 for. Glad I kept it though, gives me something to drive while I wait.

· The. Admin. Istrator.
11,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #445 ·
About the next generation... A quick talk with the sales rep of the local Honda dealer (the biggest in the country) learns that the new model will be introduced somewhere in May/June 2023.
Sceptical of that time frame based on historic evidence of the 4th and 5th Gen launches in the UK and Europe.

Happy to be wrong of course.

For the UK at least, 6G will not be arriving until Aug/Sept/Oct (take your pick!).

· Registered
89 Posts
I live in the DMV (Washington DC area) as well and did a lot of research. Turns out I only found one dealership in the area NOT doing the Adjusted Market Value crap. Most are forcing you to pay thousands just for the "privilege" of being the first kid on the block with the 2023 CR-V! This dealership does add in the dent and protection plans (which come out to ~$1,200) but I figure you are at least getting a tangible product/service. And be aware of dealerships also doing the non refundable deposit, DONT DO IT. It's a sneaky tactic to lock you in as if you walk, you lose it! The car is very popular in this area and will sell itself so its not like if you change your mind, it will just sit there indefinitely.

So the dealership is called AutoNation of Dulles (Sterling, VA). My wife and I were extremely pleased with their customer service as well (as that too strongly factors into our decision). As for one's to AVOID at all cost: LandMark Honda in Alexandria! My wife and I had a very bad customer service experience (their management didn't give us the time of day and would not even bulge to negotiate!). Which is unusual because most Honda dealerships in this area have decent (at worse) to good customer service experiences. Our salesperson was actual nice and tried to be helpful but her hands were tied. We found out she ended up quitting a week later because of their toxic environment.

Bottom line, you want to look at the buying experience wholistically and get what you feel is most important out of it to get the best value. But don't settle on the first place you go and shop around, deals are to be had. We also discovered another dealership a bit further away (in Richmond, VA area) called Colonial and they too do not do the markup. If you are going to save thousands and get value, it might be worth the trip. Also, don't let anyone fool you by stating we are throwing in free maintenance for two years - Honda USA corp. is offering this for every new 2023 CR-V!
Ouch, i just drove to Richmond, VA few weeks ago
i should have fly there and drive the car back to NY.

· Registered
888 Posts

I’ve got a bunch of money that wouldn’t be missing if Honda CVTs we’re indeed “flawless”.

· Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
11,551 Posts
The pricey Euro brands started that additional charge for 'special' paint colors. (I heard that you need to pay extra on BMWs for any color other than white) :rolleyes:

Granted, some finishes cost more than others. Who remembers the Mustang's color-changing Mystic Paint? I heard that you NEVER want to knock the can over!!!! :eek:

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

· Registered
2023 CR-V Sport Touring
183 Posts
Honda is not the only one charges you extra on some colors.
For me the urban gray is better than i expected, at least prettier than the luna silver.
i don't mind paying $495 for it
I ordered the Canyon Blue, which is "free". I think it looks best with the black wheels. Seems like the only difference in price must be what it costs to produce.

· Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
9,577 Posts
Why is there almost $400 charge for this paint color(and others). Is there any special they do at the factory?
It has become an industry norm with many brands in recent years. It is pure profit for the company, leveraged by putting surcharges on paint finishes that they know consumers will love and more importantly will pay for.

It costs no more money for a different paint finish in Honda's color lineup, or most other brands either. The pearl finishes are tricoats, and require a 3rd paint but the number of total coats is the same.. so no real incremental cost to produce.

Case in point, my wife who works for a division of Toyota has access to a special leasing/buying program for Toyota employees, and employees of Toyota affiliates. When we ordered her Lexus EX 300H earlier this year, the paint finish she preferred (Irridium) carries a $500 uplift in price because of the color. YET... for the internal lease/buy program.. they delete that upcharge entirely... proving to me there is no incremental cost to Toyota for that pain color. I expect this is true for most brands to be honest. She got other discounts as well. She essentially gets her vehicle for the transfer cost price of Toyota (in other words no profit markup to retail price), which is ~ 15% below MSRP.

· Registered
2023, 2018 EX-L
7 Posts

I picked up my 2023 EX-L on Friday from Odonnell Honda in Ellicott City Maryland. I paid MSRP but not over. We also have a 2018 EX-L. During my research of the 2023 I knew about the lack of fog lights and rear USB charging ports but I missed the lack of Homelink. The lack of Homelink is not that big of a deal but it is dissappointing that Honda did not include that in the CRV.

· Registered
2023 CR-V Sport Touring
183 Posts
I picked up my 2023 EX-L on Friday from Odonnell Honda in Ellicott City Maryland. I paid MSRP but not over. We also have a 2018 EX-L. During my research of the 2023 I knew about the lack of fog lights and rear USB charging ports but I missed the lack of Homelink. The lack of Homelink is not that big of a deal but it is dissappointing that Honda did not include that in the CRV.
College Hills had the Homelink Mirror for 175 and it doesn't look hard to install. I already told my dealer I would pay the 375 to have it on there when I pick it up but I am reconsidering paying someone 200 bucks to put in something that will take me 20 minutes.

2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
11,551 Posts
College Hills had the Homelink Mirror for 175 and it doesn't look hard to install. I already told my dealer I would pay the 375 to have it on there when I pick it up but I am reconsidering paying someone 200 bucks to put in something that will take me 20 minutes.
If you DIY, post a 'how-to' with pics. Let us know if all the required wires were there and if anything needed to be 'adapted'. (I'm a veteran of installing mid-2000s Homelink units in the overhead consoles)

I read the CH installation instructions, and the only question in my mind is whether the original connector is the 8-pin one that the new mirror connects to. I would also hope that Homelink instructions are included with the User Information Manual. (Tho' these are easy to download from Homelink)

That spring thing (that they say to replace any time the mirror is removed) aught to be in the kit, too...no mention of contents.

· Registered
119 Posts
If you DIY, post a 'how-to' with pics. Let us know if all the required wires were there and if anything needed to be 'adapted'. (I'm a veteran of installing mid-2000s Homelink units in the overhead consoles)

I read the CH installation instructions, and the only question in my mind is whether the original connector is the 8-pin one that the new mirror connects to. I would also hope that Homelink instructions are included with the User Information Manual. (Tho' these are easy to download from Homelink)

That spring thing (that they say to replace any time the mirror is removed) aught to be in the kit, too...no mention of contents.
There is a video that shows how to do it. It looks extremely easy. The creator is a forum member.

· Registered
14 Posts

If you search YouTube for ZoomGas, he has videos on the install and programming of the mirror and install of the rear USB ports (also sold by College Hills).

2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
11,551 Posts
Thanks, hadn't looked on YT yet as we are just starting to look for a new CR-V.

The vid didn't mention the spring that they said to change in the instructions...

· Registered
2023 CR-V Sport Touring
183 Posts

It looks to me like the spring is part of the new mirror. Which makes it odd that they don't mention you have to release the spring to rotate the old mirror off.

I bought my husband the bed extender for our Ridgeline. I was drinking before I was finished the instructions were so poor.

441 - 460 of 591 Posts