Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
61 - 80 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
My view: inaccurate reporting by redline.

My second view: 0-60 is a worthless metric for a consumer motor vehicle. What matters is how the vehicle handles, drives, and if the torgue needed for the CVT to meet driver demands is sufficient for all driving conditions. A CRV is not a sports vehicle, and never will be (no matter what badges Honda chooses to put on them :p ).

The 1.5T has actually been retuned to provide more perceived pep at lower rpms than the gen5s. I doubt that improves the 0-60 numbers much, if at all. The gen5 and gen6 are probably roughly the same gross weight, and the engine is slightly uptuned from gen5. I fully expect the gen6 will be a bit more nimble on acceleration in city street driving (where it is most needed) and will perform exactly like the gen5 in highway driving at speed. The CVT is new for gen6, based on the descriptions of some of it's new features.
i saw the review too, i am not sure if they use the CVT correctly.
pressing the gas pedal all the way to the bottom will not make the car faster, instead it just make the engine louder

i been using CVT for over 10 years, i usually release the gas pedal at 2k rmp for the CVT shift to higher gear and press the gas pedal again (it just a motion, and usually take less than a sec)

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
11,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Agreed - whoever was testing the car clearly had no idea.

Never had any issues "launching" my current 1.5T.....

Reactions: williamsji

·
Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
9,968 Posts
pressing the gas pedal all the way to the bottom will not make the car faster, instead it just make the engine louder

i been using CVT for over 10 years, i usually release the gas pedal at 2k rmp for the CVT shift to higher gear and press the gas pedal again (it just a motion, and usually take less than a sec)
The pairing of the 1.5T and it's CVT has really given me a new appreciation for CVTs.

I used to avoid them like the plague because most engines they are mated to don't have enough low end torque to drive the CVT and thus the CVT is constantly adjusting and seeking torque and can't find it unless it races the engine to high rpm. But the 1.5T from Honda is so torque rich at low rpms, that the CVT literally never struggles to find enough torque.

It very much appears as though this new CVT in the gen6 is a derivative of the one they used in the current gen Accords. Even though the engine on the Accords is tuned down a bit from the CRV version... they are still peppier on the streets when you drive the Accord. So I think owners of the new gen6 are going to see a more nimble CRV at lower speeds than they do with the gen5. Frankly, that retune by Honda is much more valuable than trying to whittle a few tenths of a second off of an artificial metric like 0-60 in X seconds. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
My view: inaccurate reporting by redline.

My second view: 0-60 is a worthless metric for a consumer motor vehicle. What matters is how the vehicle handles, drives, and if the torgue needed for the CVT to meet driver demands is sufficient for all driving conditions. A CRV is not a sports vehicle, and never will be (no matter what badges Honda chooses to put on them :p ).

The 1.5T has actually been retuned to provide more perceived pep at lower rpms than the gen5s. I doubt that improves the 0-60 numbers much, if at all. The gen5 and gen6 are probably roughly the same gross weight, and the engine is slightly uptuned from gen5. I fully expect the gen6 will be a bit more nimble on acceleration in city street driving (where it is most needed) and will perform exactly like the gen5 in highway driving at speed. The CVT is new for gen6, based on the descriptions of some of it's new features.
I'm not exactly sure it's worthless. I mean, gotta look at the other numbers. But in a heavy traffic area like mine, you need some quick acceleration to merge onto traffic, make left turns, etc. At least a good 0-40mph is very useful with today's heavy traffic demands.

·
Premium Member
9,968 Posts
I'm not exactly sure it's worthless. I mean, gotta look at the other numbers. But in a heavy traffic area like mine, you need some quick acceleration to merge onto traffic, make left turns, etc. At least a good 0-40mph is very useful with today's heavy traffic demands.
The CRV with a 1.5T has more than enough pep on demand for nay merging into traffic, at just about any speed. And at speeds under 40 mph... it can be scary peppy if you hammer the accelerator as it can and will startle the driver.

Note: merging into traffic is not an analog for 0-60 performance, so you kind of proved my point I think.

Any driver that wants more than the standard pep.. can simply set the transmission setting to S and you will get more performance from the power train, at the expense of some fuel economy.

Anyway.... I encourage CRV owners/buyers to ignore the 0-60 metric. Instead take it out for a drive, under a range of conditions and you will find it is plenty fast and powerful on demand in any legal consumer driver environment.

If someone wants to soup up their CRV to make it rally or circuit competitive... sadly... you purchased the wrong Honda. You need a Civic... preferably a Type R which is tricked out and ready to go right off the showroom floor.

·
Premium Member
9,968 Posts
Agreed - whoever was testing the car clearly had no idea.

Never had any issues "launching" my current 1.5T.....
My guess here is they were trying to drive it like a CRV with the older 2.4L engine, which thrives on what I call progressive application of the accelerator as speed increases.

On a 1.5T... you lean into the accelerator from 0 mph... and it WILL respond crisply and quickly. The objective here is to quickly move the power train into the CVTs torque sweet spot (which for a 1.5T engine is 1800-5500 rpm, a very wide and almost flat torque response that the CVT LOVEs..

Honda's 1.5T and mated CVT simply drive and accelerate differently than other non-turbo small 4 cylinder engines, including the old Honda K series.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Who cares about the 0-60. The CRV has always been a slow vehicle.

The bigger issue is the higher price and lack of new features. There’s only 2 interior color options now, lol. Black or Grey. Also, most of the interior is a copy/paste of the civic & accord.

The $35K EXL has no ports in the back? They also got rid of the handles to release back seats from hatch? They got rid of the LED turn signals from previous model? Also got rid of fog lights? I don’t get it ..

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
11,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Its call cost cutting....and by virtue, signposting buyers to higher spec trims, or even Acura....

• Helpful

·
Registered
186 Posts
Reactions: CR-V 0WNER

·
Registered
20 Posts
i understand Honda is cutting cost,
and they also raise the price for almost 2K
They are doing too much and upsetting the community

Civic has full digital dashboard, why CRV only comes with half digital
22 CRV has 2 tone rims, why 23 comes with the ugly cheap silver rims, i would be happier if they give us the same 22 rims
they got rid of the rear LED turn signal, then they should give us the led bulb with resistor ($20 fix from Amazon)
Rear USB ports only cost $10...why EXL doesn't come with it?
Sport trim has a 2.0 engine, why EXL is using 1.5, Also EXL doesn't have the engine cover and insulation pad under the hood
the EXL engine base looks very empty compare to the Hybrid

If they doing this on the LX trim, it totally acceptable
but doing it on the EXL which is the 2nd most expensive trim, Honda totally deserve the complains

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
11,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Honda totally deserve the complains
Perhaps they do - but at the same time, its clear why they are doing it - they want to sell more higher priced/trimmed Hybrids as opposed to the 1.5T's.

Think of us poor old Brits who wont even get the option of the 1.5T next autumn when we finally get the 6G.....plus we'll get nailed on price a lot more. The only plus side is that we'll have a Plug-In model and better spec's that US/Canadian 6G CR-Vs, akin to how we see it now on the 5G.

·
Premium Member
9,968 Posts
Its call cost cutting....and by virtue, signposting buyers to higher spec trims, or even Acura....
Very much so.

Honda markets their vehicles in very cost sensitive and competitive market segments, and generally does provide equal or better value for the price in their final vehicle configurations. Forum members however need to understand and embrace that fact that Honda is not a luxury brand, and is built in limited configurations and options specifically to lower their cost to manufacture. They build for the general masses of drivers.... NOT those with perceived "special needs" in a vehicle configuration.

Honda really does do their homework on what features to add, delete, change as they move up into a new generation vehicle. I have been on the receiving end of numerous surveys from Honda that are specifically surveying a wide range of current Honda owners to see what features are important/preferred, and which are not. They also market test in these surveys on major changes they are planning that might meet with varied responses from owners/buyers (the removal of the spare tire and replacing it with an inflator kit, for example, was on 3 different surveys I was invited to over a 2 year period).

By the way, I consistently responded to the survey that I did not want an inflator kit, I wanted a spare tire. As we can see.. I had no special influence on the final outcome via my survey responses. :p

·
Registered
5 Posts
Product page and build configurator for the 1.5T EX and EX-L are now live as of 09:00 EDT

2023 Honda CR-V – All-New Midsize Turbo or Hybrid SUV | Honda

I’m thinking AWD w/ rood tails in Canyon River Blue. Just need to decide if the extra quality of life features in the EX-L are worth it over the EX - $2,650 difference for leather seating & touch points (steering wheel and shift knob), 2 position memory driver’s seat, 4 way power passenger seat, parking sensors, power tailgate, auto up/ down rear windows, low speed braking control, auto dimming rear view mirror, 2 more speakers, 9 inch infotainment display, wireless charging, wireless Apple CarPlay & Android Auto, and HD radio & Sirius XM.

Some of this can be optioned in as factory/ dealer accessories, but that likely will drive up that wait time.

I’m inclined to say it’s probably no worth it and the money would be better spent saved or going to a Sport hybrid AWD instead.

Happy configurating!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
I live in Richmond and there is no dealer markup at the Mechanicsville or the broad street honda for the 2023 crvs. I have my deposit in!
Just stop by the number one Honda dealership in Massachusetts. They want $3,000 over MSRP for the 2023 CRV EX. That’s giving me an out the door price of over 41K. It might be a dealbreaker for me.

61 - 80 of 122 Posts