Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 CRV LE-AWD (Canadian -Turbo version) and it is time to choose new tires.
I live in Southern Alberta and either there is a lot of snow in the spring or there is none. For the last few years, next to none, therefore no need for Winter tires.
Tires currently on the vehicle are Hankook Kinergy G/T. Original tires with 46000KM. Never had a 4 wheel or AWD drive before but I think that they are very noisy. 95% asphalt driver. Recommends please.
Font Rectangle Event Label Parallel

·
Super Moderator
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
3,785 Posts
I had the Hankook Kinergys as OE, I agree, noisy and harsh riding.
I replaced them with Michelin Defenders, much better ride.
The Hankooks actually weren't too bad on moderate snow, but dry roads or rain were issues.
They also seemed to try to follow the grooves in the Interstates.
I haven't run the Michelins on snow yet, but other users report reasonable performance.
I am expecting to try them on snow in the next week though. :-(
I wouldn't use them in anything over 6" of snow, that's pickup truck conditions. More of a ground clearance issue than anything else.
If you are new to AWD take the time to get familiar with how it works, maybe even find an empty parking lot.

Reactions: kalitea

·
Registered
486 Posts
Consider all weather tires rather than all seasons. I am very happy with Nokian WRG4 And had the earlier WRG 3’s on two other vehicles.Plenty of grip in deep snow, cold wet roads and quiet on the highway in the summers with long tread life, 105,000 km tread wear guarantee but very much dependant on how you drive. You are also prepared
for any snowfall.
Available at Kal Tire in Canada

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had the Hankook Kinergys as OE, I agree, noisy and harsh riding.
I replaced them with Michelin Defenders, much better ride.
The Hankooks actually weren't too bad on moderate snow, but dry roads or rain were issues.
They also seemed to try to follow the grooves in the Interstates.
I haven't run the Michelins on snow yet, but other users report reasonable performance.
I am expecting to try them on snow in the next week though. :-(
I wouldn't use them in anything over 6" of snow, that's pickup truck conditions. More of a ground clearance issue than anything else.
If you are new to AWD take the time to get familiar with how it works, maybe even find an empty parking lot.
Thanks, I took your advice and ordered them.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
3,785 Posts
Thanks, I took your advice and ordered them.
The snow arrived this morning. Didn't run around too much but so far I am pleased.
Couldn't try them out on the Interstate though, they were closed. :-(

·
Registered
212 Posts
Wow! I would recommend Michelin Crossclimate 2's but you live in a way different climate than I do. We live in almost zero snow but with winter rain but you guys are at a different level. What did you end up installing for your weather?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Michelin Defenders.
Southern Alberta winter weather is unpredictable. For the last 3-4 years there has been little to no snow except for a huge dump and then there is a Chinook that melts the snow overnite and then bare ground again. I stay home when there is a snow dump.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts