Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2017 honda crv. Recently every warning came up on the screen. I took it to the dealer they said it threw a po172 error code and was running lean due to poor gas. I always use costco 87 octane gas, I drive frequently so a full tank lasts for no more than 2 weeks. I was suspicious of the diagnosis so I called the service manager who claimed that costco gas is bad and responsible for 80% of issues. A day after I got the car back it is doing the same issue, every single warning goes off. I'm taking it to a different dealer but any idea what could be going on?

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Hard to say what the issue is. But I gotta say that I don't see how bad gas could cause a System Too Rich issue.

The real issue is that diagnosing vague error codes like that one is time-consuming, and Honda doesn't pay very well for diagnosis under warranty. (And make no mistake, this is totally a warrantable problem.)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had a similar issue last week. Every system on the car was alarming (LKAS, TPMS, ABS, etc) but the car ran fine. Took it to the dealer and there was a “rich fuel mixture” code (among several others, but they said this was the key). A call by their tech to Honda tech support and I was paying for 4 new injectors. 2017 CR-V with 1.5 engine.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,634 Posts
What is OD?
Oil Dilution and associated matters Master thread I suggest you read this very long running and large thread from back to front, because much of the early posts are incorrect or obsolete now.

po172 error code means there is too much unburned fuel detected in the exhaust.. indicating a rich mixture. Error Code P0172 This is one of the possible code symptoms for oil level too high due to OD... so yeah.. check it.. but it needs to be discussed in the thread I linked NOT here. Moderators want all OD discussions to be conducted in the thread I have linked at the top of my post here.

Keep in mind though.. it may not be OD at all, but you do need to be aware of the condition and you should check your oil level every time you refuel and keep track of levels. If there is a continuing weak point in production quality with gen5 CRVs, it is that there have been more reports of bad injectors needing replacement than I would expect to see in a Honda engine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts