Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Combination Christmas/birthday gift finally installed - Alpine CDA 105 & 445 amp. Much clearer & cleaner sound w/o glass rattling "boom". Pics to follow.
I'd like to keep my radio in my "V" w/o someone else taking it, so I'm removing the faceplate every time I leave the vehicle.

Just a couple of questions:
1.] Am I being too "protective" by taking the faceplate out every time I leave the "V"? Or just doing the right thing?
2.] How many times can I take the faceplate off/on before it ain't working anymore?
3.] If the faceplate don't work anymore, can I get it replaced, or would it be cheaper/easier to get another H/U?

TIA

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I always take the faceplate off. For one, it detracts major attention. If you glanced in the window and saw a Dual radio, (and you're a thief) you may not be tempted to steal it, if you looked in and saw a high end alpine (or something, work with me) you would be more likely to take it and get some money or decent drugs with it. But you remove the faceplate, then it's nothing, not worth stealing maybe, and if they do steal it, it's worthless unless they stole a faceplate that worked (next to impossible). Plus, if you have the faceplate and a police report stating your radio was stolen, some companies will replace it. You just need to have the faceplate. I don't know if anyone does that anymore, but I hope so. I always take the faceplate off and stick it in the center console or under the seat in a case, no need to take it with you, if it's not there, one may assume it's not in the car anyway.

Also new headunits are easy to steal, two flat-head screwdrivers jammed in the side will pull it out and put minimal damage on the dash, a stock radio usualyl requires most of the dash to come off first, so might as well protect it any way you can.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have a (then) top-of-the-line Alpine HU in my old pickup. It is awesome.
1.] Am I being too "protective" by taking the faceplate out every time I leave the "V"? Or just doing the right thing?
Depends on how common vehicle break-ins are at "Deep In the Heart Of" and how much peace of mind you want. In my pickup, I usually only remove the faceplate and put it in the armrest when parking overnight. Crime is relatively low where I live and I do have an alarm with blinking LED, so I feel that should be enough to deter the smash-and-grab thieves.
2.] How many times can I take the faceplate off/on before it ain't working anymore?
I removed/reattached the faceplate of my Alpine everyday for almost 10 years and it still works fine.
3.]If the faceplate don't work anymore, can I get it replaced, or would it be cheaper/easier to get another H/U?
Replacement faceplates are available but they also cost almost as much as a new headunit. This is done to deter theft. If faceplates were cheap, then thieves will be encouraged to steal the faceplate-less headunit, buy a new faceplate, then resell for profit.

Also new headunits are easy to steal, two flat-head screwdrivers jammed in the side will pull it out and put minimal damage on the dash.
True, my Alpine can be stolen in seconds this way. On my old pickup, I attached a thin steel cable to the back of the H/U and attached the other end with a bolt inside the dash. The securely tethers the HU. Of course, the downside is that the thief will tear up the dash trying to remove it, out of frustration and/or spite. It is a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" thing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts