Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Nice thing about the Bazooka is it has it's Amp built in, so very few wires or amps sticking out. Using your rear panels might not be stiff enough for subs in the rear, but I could be wrong.

Either way, keep us informed....
You see, that just shows my inexperience. The ones I looked at needed an amp to power them !
Clearly they make a separate range which are powered ! Doh !!
So, do they literally just need a RCA connection, and power?
Sorry for my questions, I did warn of my noobieness!!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Ahh, OK, I was getting a bit confused, and wasn't looking for the right features when I posted about the rear speakers.
Good news is that I have found a UK supplier for the Earthquake compact subs you suggested in post #14. Hurrah !
I agree, I could go with the bazooka, or maybe an underseat sub, but I really fancy using the rear speaker positions for a pair of smaller subs.
I feel it would be a lot neater, which is the reason I'm hanging on to the idea.
So, it seems I can source the speakers, just need to decide on the amp now.
At this point I am leaning towards the JBL I posted in post #17, as it gets some decent reviews, and seems to be capable.

Thanks again for you help and advice, it is appreciated very much.

Right, now I'm off to learn about soundproofing, and how to wire all the bits together !!

When I get all the bits, who knows, I might even start a build thread !!
Right on, great news! Congrats aside, lets get into it...

These are a great product for speaker installs, link is below. I wouldnt put one on your subs in the rear, as they will enjoy the air space. But for the speakers, you will miss these in your install if you dont use them.

Speaker Baffles buy for your size, medium will do. You dont need deep or shallow.

That amp will do fine, however, if you can find something with about 120rms x4 channels @ 4ohm it will help you really drive those speakers. But the one you selected will do fine, and you wont be disappointed with it. Thats me just being me lol...

Dynamat or similar products are an excellent resource for sound deadening. You dont need to line everything in it, you just use little strips of it where the metal vibrates. If you watch youtube videos on it, or look at the packaging alone, they show entire surfaces being covered in the stuff. Like the whole floor, the ceiling, doors, ect... That has it's purpose, but for you or I, it is entirely overkill. For your door panels or quarter panels, a 5cm x 20cm strip in the middle of the panel will deaden the entire thing. And then you can use spot applications of 3cm x 6cm strips wherever is still affected. This will help stop vibrations inside and outside of the vehicle. Just be sure to get a roller tool, otherwise it wont work well.

If you want to sound proof however, you can pick up a roll of thick some thick fabric like felt or cotton: This will do as an economy option. Or you can go over the top with iKoustic or generic theater curtain. Spray adhesive and a knife is all you need to install this stuff. Remove your door panel, cut it to shape inside, make holes for your panel mounts and door accessories, and glue it into place. Just remember when you have to change a door lock or window regulator, you will need to reskin it. There might be a better option for adhering this to you door, but it's what I have observed previously. Use a cheaper spray adhesive, not construction grade stuff =P

For the quarter panels in the back, you can just pick up wool or cotton, and fill the entire cavity behind the speaker mount. It will give your rear speakers more response, and will help your dynamat out. Just ensure that there are no water leaks inside by using some rubber sealant or caulking. Cotton and wool will hold the moisture, and can grow mold.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
So, do they literally just need a RCA connection, and power?
That simple. RCA cables, one red power cable and a black ground cable that you can screw down to the metal anywhere. The secret really is in the tire tub, that gives it that extra boom. If it was just in the back area, it would not be as loud.

I am seriously thinking about putting it back in my 2009 and just have the mini spare tire sitting out in the back area, as the OEM sub is just adequate, but sometimes, just doesn't cut it for me.

Still as good as it sounds in the tub, you can't compare it to a 10" or 12'' IN A BOX!

·
Registered
490 Posts
That simple. RCA cables, one red power cable and a black ground cable that you can screw down to the metal anywhere. The secret really is in the tire tub, that gives it that extra boom. If it was just in the back area, it would not be as loud.

I am seriously thinking about putting it back in my 2009 and just have the mini spare tire sitting out in the back area, as the OEM sub is just adequate, but sometimes, just doesn't cut it for me.

Still as good as it sounds in the tub, you can't compare it to a 10" or 12'' IN A BOX!
And the cool part with this setup is that you just need a deck for the signal... Or you can just use a factory integration unit that piggybacks on your rear speakers, to generate a low voltage signal for the tube.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Ya, in my case, I already have the OEM Sub, that I can just disconnect and use it's power wire, and will have full control over the Bazooka's controls, like volume and fader. Too easy for me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks again for the replies (and your patience!)

@DanScarps - Those speaker baffles don't seem as popular over here, at least there aren't too many suppliers, so it might be that I buy them off "the bay" from some-one who doesn't charge the earth for shipping. I will get some though. Again, something new I've learnt.
As for the soundproofing: you've hit the nail on the head with the youtube vids. By looking at the vids of people coating every square inch of doors, roof lining, floors etc, I was thinking it was going to cost a fortune, and be a very tricky job.
Having read further, It seems a bit more do-able for me now.

@Rickman - I quite the idea of a Bazooka in the tub, definitely something I am going to look into. Just going to get the dimensions for the tub and the tube, to make sure it all fits. When the Bazooka is in the tub, did you put the cargo area floor back on top of it, or does it rattle if you do that?
I guess, as a 3rd option I could get a 10" or 12" passive sub, in a ported enclosure, powered off the bridged 2 channels from the amp, and then just unplug and remove it from the car when I need all the space. Something else to look into !!Any opinions on a good 10 or 12" passive box which would be suitable?
Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
The 8" Sub fits perfectly under the picnic table, under the carpeted cargo area, no rattle, no worries. You can still remove the picnic table to use as you please.

I'm actually seriously considering doing it to my 2009 CRV, but I have the mini spare to contend with. Might strap it down and use the hideaway cover on top of it, so I'd lose about 10" of rear cargo area.

Your so lucky to have the Tub, and the rear spare tire holder on the outside.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
OK, so after trying to get a listen to as many alternatives as possible, I think I have what I feel would be a good sounding system....
I managed to get a listen to a Bazooka sub in some-one's car, which sounded quite good, but unfortunately in the next car there was a
JBL GTO-1214BR - 12" 1200W Bass Reflex Enclosure, which sounded incredible!.
So although I wanted to save space, I am thinking of getting the JBL Sub (maybe a 10" rather than the 12" I listened to) and taking it out of the car when I need to fill the car up with the seats folded down.

The amp I also heard was a Vibe Blackair stereo 4, which seemed plenty powerful to me.

As for front speakers, I listened to some Pioneer TS-E1702is which, although coaxes, sounded a lot better than some of the components I have heard!!

So my shopping list has changed dramatically since my first post, but what do you guys think of my final setup list?
Any good?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Anything will be better than factory speakers. You cant really go wrong as long as you try to keep the power supply and demand guidelines in mind.

Just make sure you have good connectors, and a quality ground circuit.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
So my shopping list has changed dramatically since my first post, but what do you guys think of my final setup list?
Any good?
I think you should change your name to subcrazy....:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thinking of upgrading the stock speakers in my 2005 CRV. Have a Pioneer NEX AVH-1300NEX deck.. Doubt that the deck alone will drive speakers of any quality?? Correct me if I'm wrong please. Thinking I should at a min replace the door speakers and add in an amp....The biggest question is what about the tweeters in the dash??? Should I simply disconnect them. Don't really want to surface mount anything, and concerned if I drive them with an amp they will blow or simply sound awful?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts