Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

Alternator removal method on Mk 3 CRV CDTI

472 Views 15 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Crvbilly
After extensive research, on the internet and forums, there is still no concise methodology as to how the alternator is removed from the engine bay.

Work so far is:

cooling header tank and bracket removed and out the way.

power steering pump removed from clip and manipulated out the way while still connected.

Power steering bracket removed

SURP/AUX belt removed using belt tensioner tool.

SURP/AUX belt tensioner removed

Alternator green plug disconnected

Alternator charge supply cable and bracket (bolted on to alternator)disconnected/removed

Alternator mounting bolts removed

so with the easy bits done…

the problem I have now is there is no gap that the alternator fits in to be able to remove it from the space it’s in.

My guess is to remove EGR PIPES/ valve and front bumper /RAD /FAN ETC..

If anyone knows a better way please let me know.
Reactions: otto888man
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. Yes, I watched this video, but it was not that clear.
I have now done the following:

Reclaimed 134A
Removed the bumper
Removed the headlight units ( Left and Right)
Removed the metalwork cross member in front of the condenser
Removed the AC condenser
Drained the cooling system
Removed the radiator

I can now remove and install the new alternator. ( RECON original DENSO Honda unit <£90>)

I'm just waiting for a new AUX/SURP belt tensioner from Honda (£170), AUX/SURP Belt ( £69 ) and AC o rings (£8)

While I'm waiting for the parts, is there any preventative maintenance I can do while I have complete access to the front of the engine?

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AC compressor is seized, so replacing that while i have the space.

So.. Honda have superseded the original SURP/AUX belt with one which gets rid of the auto tensioner pully and a reroute of the belt. It is the same length. How is the belt tensioned if the auto tensioner is removed?

Does anyone have the service bulletin for the removal of the auto tensioner pulley and re route of SURP/AUX belt?

· Registered
10 Posts
Hello, coincidentally my own alternator needs replacing, can you please let me know where you sourced your unit, I am in the UK too

Mine is Dtec engine, and found this video, seems a bit simpler job but still needs front & fan off

· Registered
1,224 Posts
FYI et all
1/ The cracked EGR pipe was on the 2.2 i-dtec engine not the 2.2 i-cdti engine.
2/ The manual you have downloaded via this forum is for the petrol engines and does not contain any diesel information.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi, does anyone know how much oil goes in to the AC compressor and the condenser. (CRV MKIII 2007). These are the components I am replacing. Every thing I read related to oil quantities is conflicting and different.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts