Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today the battery light came on, meter shows 12.09V off and 11.95V when running. The light goes off with the engine revved over 2.5K or so. However it is still not charging according to the meter, With over 200K miles I'm suspecting the alternator is bad. It's a 2004 EX AWD. Am I on the right track? Anything else I should check besides fuses?

Could someone recommend a good brand to buy for a replacement? I found a new Remy online for around $116 shipped. Local reman units from the usual suspects are running around $170, seems like a lot of cash for what is probably junk. I don't care about a "lifetime" warranty, I want something I can rely on and don't have to mess with.

I searched and couldn't find any good recommendations.

Thanks

·
Banned
806 Posts
If I were to purchase an aftermarket replacement, I would only buy one from Napa. The one you mention seems to be cheap to me, as far as price. I would be leery buying the one you mention IMO.

·
Registered
772 Posts
If I were to purchase an aftermarket replacement, I would only buy one from Napa. The one you mention seems to be cheap to me, as far as price. I would be leery buying the one you mention IMO.
Gotta agree with above post, NAPA for sure, great warranty. Make sure the belt is tight, JMHO and good luck.
David g..........:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
3,190 Posts
Original unit is likely Mitsubishi. ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1487142490.345335.jpg

Here are the rockauto listing. When replacing the alternator, check the condition of the accessory belt and replace if necessary.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,605 Posts
Yeah, don't get the cheapest.

If you can afford the one-day downtime, drop your unit off at an auto electric shop. They will most likely replace the brushes, sometimes the front bearings depending on their experiences. They will load-test and verify that it is working properly.

If you don't have the luxury of the time, buy another one.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I think the NAPA warranty is fairly short.
The only one I ever purchased from NAPA, for an older vehicle, barely lasted a year.

Whoops, just looked it up and I see that NAPA now offers a lifetime warranty also. :D

Getting it rebuilt is usually a good bet, but not always available, depending on where you live.
Buffalo4

·
Everything in Moderation
7,605 Posts
If you see a 'factory refurbished' alternator, I'd be happier with that than with one of the No Name suppliers or places like a parts store.

On another (non-Honda) car I have installed a Bosch Factory Rebuilt alternator and it has worked well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses!

Still up in the air at this point. Downtime is not too big of a deal since I have another vehicle to drive.

Been there and done that with the cheap rebuilt parts! So I'm thinking I may try to get it rebuilt.

Now the fun begins! Any tips or tricks on getting the old one out? I have searched some and it seems like some are removing the radiator and some aren't, would definitely prefer to leave the radiator alone. It's looking like the radiator support bar, overflow tank and closest fan need to be removed for sure. Anything else of concern? Any links to a good article or video that describes the procedure?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Reman'd or new?

I recently had to replace the starter on an '07 CRV. After some research I discovered Honda gives 1-year warranty on a new one, but 3-years, 30k miles for a Honda Reman'd one at far less than 1/2 the new price.

Just checked hondapartsnow.com for new and reman'd Alternators - new around $1,200! Reman'd $294!

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-list/2004-honda-cr-v-5dr_ex_4wd-ka-5mt/alternator-mitsubishi.html

No information on Honda warranty for Alternator though.

Check your Honda dealer for warranty information.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I decided to take the least expensive way out and ended up with a used OEM alternator from a salvage yard for $40, according to their documentation it has 55k miles. Hopefully it will last. I don't see any reason why it won't.

Got it installed last night and have put about 100 miles on it. Back to 14.63 volts when running.

I will say this was not an easy task to change it out. Not sure total time but I can tell you if I had to do it again it would take a fraction of the time. NOT NECESSARY to remove radiator, I did remove the following:

Top support bar across front of engine, fan closest to alternator, power steering pump, auto tensioner, complete splash shield to access bolt for support bar and wires clipped to bottom of fan.

There are a lot of people who say you have to remove the radiator but you don't. If you remove the power steering pump and tensioner it comes out that way, the radiator pushes back far enough with support brackets disconnected to get your hands in there and work. I also learned the wiring should be removed and installed with the alternator NOT bolted in, makes it MUCH easier.

I can't believe the price Honda charges for those PITA plastic clips that hold splash shield and top cover on, are you kidding me $3 EACH? About half of them ended up breaking. I found a couple of aftermarket replacement products on Amazon with good reviews. Ordered them for $8 for 30 and a Gates belt for almost $10 less than I could get it locally. Belt is definitely showing signs of wear.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,605 Posts
One car, I had a battery that would short intermittently. When it did, it would fry the voltage regulator (and the battery light would come on). Couldn't tell the battery was bad with the car parked in the garage.

After 3 (!) alternators I replaced the battery (which had repeatedly tested good). Problem solved...

++++++++++

I hear ya about the splash shield clips. I always try to snag a few extra good ones at the junkyard if I have the opportunity. You can get them off the bottom of the rear bumpers, too.

·
Banned
806 Posts
Tool in the link below is worth every penny for removing those plastic clips. Dramatically cuts down the chances of busting those clips.

http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/products/?product=197&division=1&category=11

Every OEM dealer charges an arm and a leg for them. I know Napa has a catalog that you can thumb through and find them a lot cheaper as well. It is a catalog with samples of the pins, not a picture.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts