Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought 2017 CR-V with aluminum oil pan. Plan on keeping it 10+ years. I don't think the threads in the oil pan for the drain bolt will last that long. Have Considered a Sure Seal plug with o-ring and a Femco valve. Does anyone run the Sure Seal plug? Somebody point me in the right direction.

cutt1100 Thomson GA

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Recently bought a 2017 Cr-V with aluminum oil pan. Plan on keeping it 10+ years. Don't think threads in oil pan for drain plug will last that long. Considered the Sure Seal plug w/o-ring. Also thought about the Femco valve. Someone point me in the right direction. Anyone use the Sure Seal plug?

cutt1100 Thomson GA
I haven't removed an oil plug in years...... I have used an oil vac for the last 5 years and they work great check it out

https://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-7400-Liter-Fluid-Evacuator/dp/B000JFJM14/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1498949018&sr=8-9&keywords=oil+vacuum+extractor

·
Everything in Moderation
7,913 Posts
No issues with my '06 V after 11 years, with the aluminum pan.

My 30 year old sports car also has an aluminum pan, the oil has been changed once or twice a year.

PS: I merged the two threads you created...

·
Registered
730 Posts
Recently bought 2017 CR-V with aluminum oil pan. Plan on keeping it 10+ years. I don't think the threads in the oil pan for the drain bolt will last that long. Have Considered a Sure Seal plug with o-ring and a Femco valve. Does anyone run the Sure Seal plug? Somebody point me in the right direction.

cutt1100 Thomson GA
My S2000 has an finned cast aluminum oil pan, I've changed the oil in the car 21 times so far and the threads in the pan are as good as new. Partially because I change my own oil, all it takes is one person at a quicky oil change place or car dealership to cross thread the bolt and you're screwed. So from that point of view, it may not last through the first oil change. From my point of view it will last the life of the car. Just depends on if your car is well cared for or not.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I don't know why you think this will be a problem. As long as you torque it correctly, it will be fine. Aluminum oil pans are hardly a new thing... where aluminum pans get into trouble is with some moron cross-threading or slapping it back in with an impact. Don't do those things and it will easily last the life of the car. (And even if you did screw up the threads, there are plenty of aftermarket kits to come to the rescue and rethread the hole.)

·
Super Moderator
3,274 Posts
Had an Aluminum V8 for 22 years and dozens of oil changes, no problem.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The alu pan is a non issue unless you let Godzilla change your oil, or brain dead meth-addled strangers.

Many have switched to using an oil vac instead of the old way, in case you're still worried about the plug.

I had a Fumoto valve on several past cars, very convenient.

By the way, the pan itself isn't expensive even if you did mess it up. Under $100 from online sources, I believe. Not sure what labor is involved. Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Be happy you have an aluminum oil pan. They cost more to make than the old stamped out steel ones but offer many advantages. Stiffer engine block, better cooling of the engine, less leaks. As for the drain plug.....as many have pointed out its a complete non-issue as many of us have seen for decades of their use.

·
Registered
18 Posts
While all of the above is true, I did have a bad experience once. My trusted mechanics stripped the pan! Said it was a common problem with a steel plug and an aluminum pan. Informed them the only other person I had heard of with this problem was a friend I referred to them! I had no doubt they got a bit ham handed with the spanner, but we reached an accommodation on the cost of repair. And yes, they're still my guys. But for the subsequent multiple changes, I had them write "do not strip plug" on the work order. That was seven or eight years ago, still have the car, and no further issues.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
While all of the above is true, I did have a bad experience once. My trusted mechanics stripped the pan! Said it was a common problem with a steel plug and an aluminum pan. Informed them the only other person I had heard of with this problem was a friend I referred to them! I had no doubt they got a bit ham handed with the spanner, but we reached an accommodation on the cost of repair. And yes, they're still my guys. But for the subsequent multiple changes, I had them write "do not strip plug" on the work order. That was seven or eight years ago, still have the car, and no further issues.
Sorry for your experience. Four decades in the business and I have seen mechanics break every "unbreakable" part you can name. Most of it their own fault, BTW.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts