Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello -

I have a simple question.
I received the letter from Honda for Product Update 18-114 (SW Update + A/C Control Unit)
The letter says failure to get the update could be considered lack of proper maintenance.

***I called my dealer to schedule the update and he said I only need the update if the Check Engine light is on.***

^^^ is this correct?

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
No - that is not correct. Find another dealer if possible in your area - otherwise contact Honda directly and report the dealership.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
4,941 Posts
So why not simply ask them for the in Leu of take the money then. and they say no we can not do? I then say then put the part in.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No - that is not correct. Find another dealer if possible in your area - otherwise contact Honda directly and report the dealership.
Thanks. I will be calling Honda customer service after holidays to get guidance. I just spoke to the Service Manager at my dealer and he stated that they had confirmed with Honda that the update only needs to be applied if the Check Engine light is on.

We have 2017 Touring and have had zero issues (no gas smell and no problems heating). BUT I do not want to void warranty if this is an important update.

I will follow up here once I talk to corporate customer service.

·
Super Moderator
4,941 Posts
Well that is your Dealer totally incorrect the recall letter is proof enough good luck.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well that is your Dealer totally incorrect the recall letter is proof enough good luck.
Just to clarify for others, this was not a **recall letter**. It was a **Product Update** letter. They are different things.

·
Registered
183 Posts
afaik nobody with oil dilution and slow to non-existent heating has reported a Check Engine light. If oil dilution got to the point of activating the Check Engine light, a sw update and oil change isn't going to reverse the damage so that update and ac part better include an extended warranty as well. Would like to hear an update once you've spoken with Honda.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is this for all CRVs? We haven’t got a letter nor does our Honda Owners site show any recalls or anything for our 2017 EXL

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,914 Posts
Go to a different dealer. That one is full of crap!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hello -

I received the letter from Honda for Product Update 18-114 (SW Update + A/C Control Unit)
The letter says failure to get the update could be considered lack of proper maintenance.

***I called my dealer to schedule the update and he said I only need the update if the Check Engine light is on.***

^^^ is this correct?

Thanks
Nope!!! Interesting I also have a Touring also no problems with heat or oil, got the letter, called the dealer....they say how about next Friday at 830....no other questions about a light coming on, oil problems......Etc etc.

·
Super Moderator
4,941 Posts
OH a Letter understood now not a recall . what happens when its a forum you are going to simply get mixed results, so when all is done lets us know 15 pages later

·
Registered
673 Posts
Hello -

^^^ is this correct?

Thanks

Your dealer is silly.

·
Registered
'18 CR-V Ex-L AWD & '13 CR-V Ex-L AWD
1,636 Posts
Hello -

^^^ is this correct?

Thanks
Tell your dealer to give you his statement that you don't need the update because ....etc on his company letterhead and sign it. And then report him to Honda headquarters.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Just to clarify for others, this was not a **recall letter**. It was a **Product Update** letter. They are different things.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Only in the eyes of lawyers.

Honda isn't going to call it a Recall, even though it should be, because that opens up a whole can of worms. Including headlines in every news media. Honda screwed up and doesn't want anyone to know about it, except perhaps those who's cars are affected.

Many on this forum have gotten the letter. I got mine about 2 weeks ago and I have both problems. I plan on getting the fix applied in February, when the time is right for me. Unless the cold gets to me before then.

·
Registered
536 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Only in the eyes of lawyers.

Honda isn't going to call it a Recall, even though it should be, because that opens up a whole can of worms. Including headlines in every news media. Honda screwed up and doesn't want anyone to know about it, except perhaps those who's cars are affected.

Many on this forum have gotten the letter. I got mine about 2 weeks ago and I have both problems. I plan on getting the fix applied in February, when the time is right for me. Unless the cold gets to me before then.
I thought I read on this forum it's a recall only if the issue is a "safety" issue.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hello -

^^^ is this correct?

Thanks
Got my letter right before Christmas. Called the dealer where I bought my 2018 crv today. The girl that answered in the service dept tried to tell me that if i'm not having a problem, I don't need to bring it in. I said, "really"?? because according to the letter from Honda it sounds as if they will void my warranty if I don't get it done. Then I asked if others have brought theirs in and she said yes.. It takes 2 hours for inspection and another 3 to do the repair but first they have to get the parts in. So, I was questioning all this and she said I could speak to someone else. So, she put Sean on who told me, yes I needed to bring it in. Yes, they have the parts and that it would take a total of 5 hours to do it. They will supply a shuttle to take me home and pick me back up. FIVE HOURS !!! That sounds crazy long to me. ...especially considering my car has NO problems whatsover.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Since it’s NOT broke, you better get it fixed..........anyway. Just kidding.

·
Super Moderator
4,941 Posts
fancy word to date you need an update, because the part is outdated? no you are being called in for a issue end of this story

1 - 20 of 60 Posts