Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am hoping I get some feedback from owners in the same situation. I purchased my NEW 2012 CRV exactly one year ago. I have opted for paint/rust protection to be applied by dealer then. To my BIG disapointment I discovered today -after washing my car- that I have many rusty spots all over the body. There is not one section without a tiny rusty spot. I am from Canada and this is where I purchased my Touring trim CRV. I am in a HUGE choc, how this could have happened?
My only hope in this forum is to get some info. Any other owner is having the same problem?
I will see the dealer this week.

Many thanks for your replies.
Yasmin

·
Registered
100 Posts
Honestly looks like your dealer did something wrong when applying the protection.

I'd ask them what is wrong, shocking to hear that a year-old car can even have rust

·
Registered
12 Posts
Is your CR V white, if so it could just be rail dust from shipping or particles from your brakes ( more noticeable with white). Best thing to do is wash vehicle,clay bar it then rewash and apply a good coat of wax. This will take you most of the day but when finished it'll look better then new. Not to metion be protected for the summer heat and bugs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, it is white. I hope it is a simple thing. I will see the dealer on Friday and will keep you posted again. Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is your CR V white, if so it could just be rail dust from shipping or particles from your brakes ( more noticeable with white). Best thing to do is wash vehicle,clay bar it then rewash and apply a good coat of wax. This will take you most of the day but when finished it'll look better then new. Not to metion be protected for the summer heat and bugs.
I agree with Tomcat. Rail dust is common for white cars and the method described is the correct approach. The detailing clay bar will work wonders on any car. You will be very happy with the results.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I will agree with tomcat too. It's probably not something the aftermarket finish people did. It is tiny particles of iron/steel that are in the road spray that have stuck to the car along with the normal road dirt. The salt has turned them to rust and you can see them on the white colour. Do the clay bar thing as suggested and if that fails to erase it then you can try polishing compound. Another days work. Then apply a GOOD wax (carnuba) to prevent the rail dust from adhering to the paint. If you see it after this procedure you only need to wash and use cleaner and re wax.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I was imagining the rust coming from the car (With some paint chipped around), but what you guys are saying makes perfect sense

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tomcat you were right. Dealer has said the same thing I need to bar clay the car every year. They do it for $250, no need to wax because of the protection I have.
I checked another body shop , more or else the same $$, however the guy over there suggested - when he knew I paint protected it with the dealer- to use a solution called " Beyond Clay " . He did demonstrated to me on few spots and they were gone in no time. Got a bottle for $ 19.99 and will use it today.

Why Honda does not explain this to customers when they are about to buy a white car. And just a FYI, I did own white cars previously and never had this problem (they were Peugeot though)

In any case thanks SO much Tomcat, BudHa, Fixer!!!! Great members! :eek:

·
Registered
61 Posts
You also see these spots on silver vehicles. Mine is silver and I have those rusty little specs everywhere. The moment you rub your finger on them they're gone. If it was actually body panel rust, you would know. Applying a good quality wax once or twice per year goes a long way from keeping these particles from sticking.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
What bestia said! Even with an aftermarket finish which, by the way, under a micro scope looks like the surface of the moon, the rust particles are sticking to the surface/paint. Wax sets a barrier between the surface and the rust to prevent the rust from staining the paint. Let us know how you like the clay bar in a can stuff, it might be easier than waxing. Oh, bye the way, it's called rail dust because as a train passes on it's tracks it grinds (steel wheels on steel tracks) fine particles off that are whipped into the air like dust. The moisture in the air then turns said dust to rust. I expect that most of the "rail dust" that we see is from disc brakes.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Thank you fixer!

Excellent description of what is rail dust and how it appears as rust spots.

What I do not understand is why this did not happen some years ago but appears to be common place recently?

Our Taffeta White '07 LX is 5 1/2 years old plus the time it sat on the dealer's lot, parked on the street all the time, still looks new with only the spray wax from the car wash. It never had such spots. I wonder if Honda used to use that peel-off protection for this very reason but stopped to save money?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Mine came in with the white peel-off, saw it on the lot the day it came in when we chose it. Ohio build 6/12.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts