Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 CRV. Low mileage, kept in a garage. Today the outside temperature was 0 F and I took it out for a drive. I didn't notice what the ambient temperature read when I was in the garage, but after driving 10 minutes it read 18F. Another ten minutes and it was down to 11F. This gauge has always seemed accurate and has been quick to respond, so I was wondering if anyone else had noticed this.

Thanks.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,396 Posts
Tricky question... :rolleyes:

The temp sensor display an ALL makes is dampened, prevented from swinging wildly every time water or shade affects it. My experience coming from a garage, is that the reading takes 5 minutes or so to read 'true'. Of course, by that time engine heat or sunny pavement might be influencing the reading.

These characteristics are why cold weather warnings (fitted to some high-end cars) illuminate at around 40F, not 32F, to warn the driver of possible slippery conditions.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I take the temperature reading from the car as an estimate. The heat from the engine, tires, road and other sources must, at least in my opinion, have some impact on the true temperature readings. Now, if the temp probe were positioned where the satellite radio antenna is then it might provide a more accurate read. Just my $.02

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tricky question... :rolleyes:

The temp sensor display an ALL makes is dampened, prevented from swinging wildly every time water or shade affects it. My experience coming from a garage, is that the reading takes 5 minutes or so to read 'true'. Of course, by that time engine heat or sunny pavement might be influencing the reading.

These characteristics are why cold weather warnings (fitted to some high-end cars) illuminate at around 40F, not 32F, to warn the driver of possible slippery conditions.
Maybe, but my experience with this car is it's always seemed pretty accurate and responded to changes quickly. I'll give it a few more rides and see how it behaves.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,627 Posts
Maybe, but my experience with this car is it's always seemed pretty accurate and responded to changes quickly.
Regardless of ambient temperature?

My guess.. in very cold weather, even though the sensor is recessed and fairly well protected, it may in fact get some moisture on it that could freeze and thus delay accurate measurement.

Or it could simply be less sensitive in extreme temperatures. It may be my imagination, but it seems like the sensor is slower to respond during summer when it is 90+ ambient and I pull my CRV out of my cool garage. It acts almost like the farther the temperature from "normal range" the longer the dwell time of the sensor. This could be a software thing, reasons unknown.

·
Registered
81 Posts
All temp sensors, including those used in laboratories, measure the temperature of the sensor.

If the sensor is in the sun, or near a hot road ( vehicle stopped) it will be hotter than Tair.

If the sensor is wet and water is evaporating from it, that will cool the sensor below Tair.

If the car is moving, convection will overcome radiative heating, and cause the sensor temperature to more closely approximate Tair

Air temperature also varies - if you drive thru a dip in the road where cool air has collected it will be colder.

You can check the vehicle sensor vs. a known standard if you have one.

·
Registered
2021 CR-V Hybrid EX Obsidian Blue
165 Posts
Ever drive by the bank with the programmable sign with the temp sensor inside and the sun beating down on it, saying it's currently 150 F outside, oh dear!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts