Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
05/01/2009 - TORRANCE, Calif. -

American Honda Motor Co., Inc., posted April vehicle sales of 101,029, a decline of 25.3 percent* compared to April 2008, the company reported today. Honda Division posted April sales of 92,216, a decline of 24.5 percent compared to April 2008.

"Overall sales are, by far, the highest we have seen so far this year," said John Mendel, executive vice president of sales for American Honda. "The Honda lineup represents a unique combination of fun, versatile and efficient cars with great resale that deliver at a time when consumer purchases are more calculated than ever."

Honda Division total car sales decreased by 17.7 percent, to 61,778. Honda Division light-truck sales decreased 35.4 percent, to 30,438. Notably, the division posted four individual vehicle records in April 2008, as sales were up 1.4 percent in an industry down 7.2 percent.

The Acura Division posted sales of 8,813, a decline of 32.3 percent compared to April 2008. The TL performance luxury sedan led the division with sales of 3,105, and the redesigned TSX sports sedan year-to-date sales of 9,684 are up 5.7 percent**.

*The daily selling rate is calculated with 26 days for April 2009 and for April 2008. All percentages reflect the daily selling rate.
**Based on daily selling rate, calculated with 101 days for 2009 and 102 days for 2008.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
What is this light truck Honda is supposedly selling? I have not seen it. I think sales are taking a dive for everyone, Honda shouldn't feel too bad, at least they're still doing better than a ot of companies.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Light Trucks

Honda considers the Ridgeline, Element, CR-V, and Pilot light trucks.

http://automobiles.honda.com/shop/trucks.aspx?ef_id=1097:3:s_a723ede947907c55f23cf1b6b44c748a_2673467532:-131XkNIYWQAABeUM-QAAAAN:20090502122332

Light trucks turn out to be more of a legal classification than a common sense classification.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_truck

Quoted from the above link

"The United States government uses light truck as a vehicle class in regulating fuel economy through the Corporate Average Fuel Economy standard. The class includes vans, minivans, sport utility vehicles, and pickup trucks. Light trucks have lower fuel economy standards than cars, under the premise that these vehicles are used for utilitarian purposes rather than personal transportation."

I am not sure why the Ody is not considered a light truck when considering the info in the Wiki article.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I don't know that the Cr-v can be used as a truck very well, I may throw the element in that category since it has chains on the tailgate, but that's about it. I consider a light truck to look like a truck and have no roof over the back portion of the car and some form of truck bed... because for all registration purposes the Cr-v is called a Station Wagon.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Don't Use Commonsense!

It is a bunch of legal baloney for CAFE fleet standards, not real use.

BTW the Element while having more cargo room actually can carry less weight, about 185 pounds if I remember right. It has a 4 passenger limit, verses the V's 5.

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
I did a comparo on Honda.com between the E and CRV and was surprised by the results.

The E is shorter than the CRV but is the same width and is 4 inches taller.The E is almost 300lbs heavier which i would peg as the reason the E has a lower carrying capacity.

Element CRV

Passenger Volume 103.6 103.8
Curb Weight 3624 3389
Maximum Cargo Volume 74.6 72.9

The numbers are not as far off as i expected.

http://automobiles.honda.com/tools/compare/results-overview.aspx?ModelName=Element&ModelYear=2009&AICGroupNum=5039&AICNum1=26081&LastState=/tools/compare/select-competitor-honda.aspx?ModelName=Element&ModelYear=2009&AICGroupNum=5039&AICNum1=26081&LastState=&AICNum2=25708&AICNum2=25708&Filter=&Mode=&Photo=&Change=

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I did a comparo on Honda.com between the E and CRV and was surprised by the results.

The E is shorter than the CRV but is the same width and is 4 inches taller.The E is almost 300lbs heavier which i would peg as the reason the E has a lower carrying capacity.

Element CRV

Passenger Volume 103.6 103.8
Curb Weight 3624 3389
Maximum Cargo Volume 74.6 72.9

The numbers are not as far off as i expected.

http://automobiles.honda.com/tools/compare/results-overview.aspx?ModelName=Element&ModelYear=2009&AICGroupNum=5039&AICNum1=26081&LastState=/tools/compare/select-competitor-honda.aspx?ModelName=Element&ModelYear=2009&AICGroupNum=5039&AICNum1=26081&LastState=&AICNum2=25708&AICNum2=25708&Filter=&Mode=&Photo=&Change=

Another thing I found odd about the Element, it is not rated to be towed behind a motor home. One member had an Element and traded it in on a V, because he wanted to tow it.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
you can with make the older E's a TOAD but for one reason or another you can't do it with the newer ones.

Or honda dosen't want people to use them that way. probably some lawsuit or politics.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I can't think of any reason the Odyssey doesn't fit the "light truck" classification. I mean Honda has some leeway when requesting that the vehicle be classified as a car or light truck, but I don't see why they wouldn't put it in the truck category - reduce their CAFE requirement ...

But if you had asked me what the difference was, I would have said one thing was ride height. I know one reason that Subaru started making the Outback wagon higher was that in contrast to the lower Legacy, it was able to qualify as a light truck. So .. maybe that's a reason?

The Element is a weird beast. Compared to the 2nd-gen CRV I got, it has less room, heavier, slower, worse fuel economy, less comfortable, only seats 4, less ground clearance, looks like the box a Civic came in ... I can't think of any reason to prefer it! (It's cheaper).

Personally I just wish they'd stick 4WD in mostly everything, like they do in Japan. Honda Stream anyone?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts