Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the volume of oil between upper & lower dipstick indicators in the 1.5L Turbo engine in the 2017-19 CR-V?

My oil level is currently at the top of the orange plastic and I want to know how much oil to remove with my dipstick oil extractor.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Try 1 qt.......if too much, add a little back.

·
Registered
152 Posts
If you are at the top of the orange, then that's 10 mm over full. According to the Chinese diagram, that put's you at .64L over full.
But, the difference between upper and lower marks, not sure. That's 17 mm, but due to the shape of the block, oil pan, etc., you can't use the 'above' range, but I'm sure it was probably designed to be 1L.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Here are a bunch of measurements

7/16 in = 18 oz of oil

1.4375 = 6/16 Inch up from MAX = Top Orange
1.1875 = 2/16 Inch up from MAX = Indent
1.0625 = Exactly at MAX or 1 1/16 from Bottom
The whole Orange Dip Stick is 1 7/16 long or 1.4375
11/16 between lower and upper hole @ MAX or 0.6875
6/16 from upper hole @ MAX to Top of Orange or 0.3750

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
if you are at the top take out about 12 Oz's good luck

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I suggested removing 1 qt because it is way easier to add oil back to the motor vs removing oil thru that tiny hole, possibly multiple times.

·
Registered
656 Posts

7/16 in = 18 oz of oil

What the....? ��

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
I'll say this:

It is at the top mark then you are fine, worried it go over, due to oil dilution . let me head back out next weekend it be two weeks since i changed my oil and see where i stand.

here is a video I did because all in here say this and say that....

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Thanks Mr. Fish always great videos. I add oil to the filer maybe 3-4 times during that 5 minutes......that usually brings oil right to the top. Just a suggestion.:thumb:

·
Registered
599 Posts

7/16 in = 18 oz of oil

What the....? ?

Fly, Eagles, Fly

I was in a hurry, there was an Eagles game to watch. Now that St. Nick has struck again, I'll explain.

The numbers that are 1.xx represent the inches from the bottom of the dipstick to that point.

The 7/16 inch is the amount oil that I siphoned out after a dealer overfill to the top of the orange monster, which measured out to be 18 fluid ounces of oil. I consider this to be an important number because it is based on a relevant section of the sump design.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Does anyone know the volume of oil between upper & lower dipstick indicators in the 1.5L Turbo engine in the 2017-19 CR-V?

My oil level is currently at the top of the orange plastic and I want to know how much oil to remove with my dipstick oil extractor.

Thanks in advance.
I'm more interested in understanding your plan. If you remove oil and the level rises again, the only contributor to that is gasoline. Then if you repeat to keep the oil level at a certain level, you will be increasing the proportion of gasoline and exacerbating the situation. I don't understand.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm more interested in understanding your plan. If you remove oil and the level rises again, the only contributor to that is gasoline. Then if you repeat to keep the oil level at a certain level, you will be increasing the proportion of gasoline and exacerbating the situation. I don't understand.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I am 90% certain that the elevated oil level is due to overfill at the dealer. Unfortunately, I did not check the oil level when the car was serviced, but I did several days later. The oil level has remained at the exact same spot for 2,000 kms and does not have a gasoline odor that is obvious to me.

Since I have a 1 litre bottle of fresh Honda 0W20 oil on hand, my plan is to take out enough oil from the engine to take me to 1 litre below capacity. I will then add the 1 litre to take me to the correct level. Adding the fresh oil will reduce any dilution (if it even exists).

·
Registered
599 Posts
I am 90% certain that the elevated oil level is due to overfill at the dealer. Unfortunately, I did not check the oil level when the car was serviced, but I did several days later. The oil level has remained at the exact same spot for 2,000 kms and does not have a gasoline odor that is obvious to me.

Since I have a 1 litre bottle of fresh Honda 0W20 oil on hand, my plan is to take out enough oil from the engine to take me to 1 litre below capacity. I will then add the 1 litre to take me to the correct level. Adding the fresh oil will reduce any dilution (if it even exists).

In my experiences the dealer will overfill. Though maybe the TSB will make them think first, nah who am I kidding.

As I mentioned earlier, my oil was at the top of the orange and I removed about 1/2 liter to get my level to just below MAX.
Since this first ever below MAX oil level, my oil dilution problem has become less severe.
So if you're determined to use your fresh litre of Honda oil, I would take out at least 1 1/2 liters of oil first.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Regarding dipstick..........whatever happened to the post, somewhere on this site, about removing the plastic on the stick for a better more accurate reading? Something about the oil wicking on the plastic causing false readings.

I have encountered only one vehicle that has dip stick reading issues, my 2006 Toyota Tundra. Because the stick inserts into the oil pan at a 45-degree angle, the top of the stick shows less than the bottom of the stick.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Regarding dipstick..........whatever happened to the post, somewhere on this site, about removing the plastic on the stick for a better more accurate reading? Something about the oil wicking on the plastic causing false readings.

I have encountered only one vehicle that has dip stick reading issues, my 2006 Toyota Tundra. Because the stick inserts into the oil pan at a 45-degree angle, the top of the stick shows less than the bottom of the stick.

A couple of light taps with a hammer and the orange plastic is gone.

Cutting tool Knife Cold weapon Tool Utility knife

Credit goes to Genesis

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
1 - 20 of 38 Posts