Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a new Ex AWD 2018 Blue Thursday evening. Like the color and the dealer gave a good deal with upgrades. I wanted EX-L but was told no EX-L AWD 2018 in Texas with this color anymore. Of course it does not have a power tailgate. But I was told it is ok even if I am very petite.

I drove it to my friend's home next day, got an embarrassment right away: their drive way is a little downhill, and ---- I could not reach the tailgate handle to close it!!!! Had to call my friend to come out closing the tailgate for me!

Now I realize I really need a power tailgate. Does anyone know how to install one and with an affordable price? I'd really appreciate!

Thanks in advance, and wish you all a wonderful Christmas !

Ying

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
The cost for the sensor, motor, and components would be very expensive.
A quick check of parts shows US $600 just for the motor and it's components, and the sensor assembly is about US $200. And there are sure to be wiring harnesses and screws and bolts you'd need, plus the labor cost to install it. And your local Honda dealer probably wouldn't do it for you, so you'd have to find someone who would be willing to try and do it.

I thought about maybe attaching a loop handle using one of the screws that mount the interior panel on the tailgate, but it appears to be attached by clips.
So you might have to drill and tap a hole for a bolt to mount a handle too. Something that hangs down far enough to grab, but is maybe attached to the inside of the tailgate with velcro so it doesn't interfere with closing the tailgate.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Your definately looking at A LOT of money to have all the bits installed.

Never listen to a dealership when they tell you something will be ok, check it for yourself.

I also agree using a strap hanging lower to give you something to grab onto.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 CR-V Touring
49 Posts
How about a magnet on a stick? I got one from Amazon, pulls about 40 pounds, but you could use a luggage scale hooked on your door to see how much pull you need. Mount it on a stick, wrap some vinyl tape or something so it won't scratch anything.

I just got my new Touring on Sunday, it has a motorized hatch and I almost wish it were manual, or smarter. It won't sense an obstruction, I can't open it in my garage unless I hit the button before it rises too far.o

Enjoy your new CR-V, I'm loving mine!

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
I wanted EX-L but was told no EX-L AWD 2018 in Texas with this color anymore.
When a salesman tells you this it's because he can't locate one today and he wants to make the sale today. It's a standard operating procedure for car salesmen, and the technique even has a name. It's called stuffing. He will say or do just about anything to stuff you into something else if he doesn't have exactly what you want right this minute. He doesn't get the commission until you drive away in the new vehicle. That said, you have a legally required window of opportunity where you can take the car back and make them exchange it or cancel the deal and go elsewhere if they cannot accommodate your choice of vehicle. I know it's the end of the model year and they have the '18's on clearance, but not to worry, they still have plenty of them. So you can absolutely just ride right on back down there and tell them sorry, you're going to have to have the power tailgate, and you want the color you want and no excuses. I'd almost bet that, this being a different day, they will magically find one. If not, you may have to choose a different color. But you have every right to be happy with what you get, and to get it for a good price, too. So just get your stuff out of it, hand them the keys, tell them this one won't work for you and why, and be prepared to have a ride home. They will fall all over themselves to fix it. They have to. They just didn't think you knew that. And if they tell you it's not true, they are lying, still trying to bluff you and make you go away so they don't have to fix it. Also, they will always try to bluff anyone, male or female, but they will push harder against a female if they think you will cave in and let them win. Don't. How do I know all this? I once spent a couple of years as a new car salesman at a dealership. Made decent money, too, I just decided I didn't want to spend my life being a lying, slippery trickster. In the end, if all else fails, just choose a different color. If you need the power tailgate, there's not really a good substitute for it, and it's most likely going to be way more important and easier to learn to live with down the road than the color, which will be easier to adapt to. Let us know how it turns out.

By the way, on those power tailgates, you can adjust the stop height too. Very handy, and worth it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.