Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've recently bought a 2011 CR-V 4WD EX from a Honda dealer here in the UK. The service manual is fully stamped up and when considering the purchase I was shown the receipts for all work carried out on the vehicle to date. Having decided to buy the car I asked for the receipts, only to be told that they could not give them to me on the grounds that the previous owner's personal details contained within were protected by privacy laws. All such receipts would remain 'on file' at the dealership.

I accepted it at the time but thinking about it I wonder whether this is cobblers and I have a right to request all paperwork associated with the vehicle. Seeing the expense and care taken certainly influenced my decision to buy the car and such documentation only adds to its history and resale value. Interested to hear peoples thoughts on the subject before I go back and ask for the receipts.

Cheers!

·
Registered
579 Posts
You bought the vehicle, not the paperwork. You are satisfied that all maintenance was done. Why would it be different for future buyers?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You bought the vehicle, not the paperwork. You are satisfied that all maintenance was done. Why would it be different for future buyers?
I disagree. I spent thousands of £ on a car and think that all associated documentation - manuals and service receipts are also part of the car. What's to satisfy future interested buyers that the vehicle has been properly maintained?

What are they trying to protect by holding on to the receipts anyway? The previous owners name and address, which unless I'm mistaken will appear on the vehicle registration document anyway. If the personal details are that sensitive feel free to obscure them.

·
Registered
579 Posts
You're satisfied that services were done on time. Future buyers are not that smart?

If it's so important to you, you should have made it part of the deal. No paperwork, no sale. Your choice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're satisfied that services were done on time. Future buyers are not that smart?

If it's so important to you, you should have made it part of the deal. No paperwork, no sale. Your choice.
yeah, I wish I had done...

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I'd ask them to run the computer printout of all the maintenance done and ask for a copy with the PO info blacked out. They should be able to do that much for you. As long as you explain why you want the mech history they shouldn't object I wouldn't think.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I wouldn't worry. The service history is on file at the dealership. That's what counts. You bought a vehicle you like, now enjoy it. I have a 2011 EX as well. Probably several differences between UK and NA models. I have hardly any paperwork so far. Zero problems.

My grandson bought his first car recently. It came with a bunch of receipts. Names and addresses were all cut off. Don't know if the dealers or previous owners did it. Some of the documents are hardly readable. Faded.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies folks. I guess I'm putting too much value in these things. I just figured it would maybe add value if and when I come to sell the car. And you're right, I love the car so I'll just go enjoy it! Although the damned clutch peddle has started to squeak, but that's another story!

·
Registered
868 Posts
The receipts my grandson has are generally worthless. The servicing garage names are also cut off. They would be above the customers name. In fact, no guarantee that they are original and not fake. Dealer's computer records are far better.

Clutch?? Now there is the first difference between our CRV's.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have been buying cars since 1986, some from various dealers, most from private parties. At dealerships, the prior service receipts were held by the dealership. The first time I bought a car without service paperwork, it was a '68 Barracuda which I was buying from the Olds/Buick/GMC/Toyota dealer I worked for. The sales manager, Tom said that it was for reasons of privacy. I don't think he had any reason to lie to me, but I don't know if it was for a legal reason, or just respect for privacy. If people had that kind of info on previous owners, some would surely contact those previous owners for some misguided reason or another. I think the need for privacy is genuine, but some kind of detailed list of service, with dates, along with warranty paperwork for installed items would sure be an asset to the seller!

·
Registered
454 Posts
The last 2x I have traded my car in, the dealership did not want the records of maintenance. I traded my Pontiac in for my Toyota and my Toyota in for my Honda. So crossing brands. I was surprised.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Times two, when your ready to move it on in the future, the next buyer is interested only in fair
market value or less regardless if there's any records. JMHO.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts